SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Having the perfect life and still bitching/worrying when so many others have it so much worse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having the perfect life and still bitching/worrying when so many others have it so much worse Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Arrrrrggghhhhhh

I hate myself. I have the perfect life yet I find myself worrying about shit (weather, kids, etc.) when there are literally 10a of thousands of folks under water so to speak just down the proverbial road a few states over.

I hate myself for worrying when I have friends with REAL problems and health issues.

Now my mom passed out and is in the hospital.

Why can't I let go of my personal stress and see my life for what it is....damn near perfect.

I hate myself for not being able to when SO many people are dealing with real issues everyday and I am not even talking about folks in this world who really have a shit hand dealt to them (NORK peasants, ISIS slave etc.)

So I pitch this bitch about myself and apologize to all those with real hardships and issues.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Each of us face hardships, and no matter how much harder another is facing, we "feel" ours, and "perceive" another's.

Do not despise yourself because your hardship "seems trivial" in comparison to your brother.

It is not a contest to be won.

But in your despair, may you understand the greater pain another feels, and be strengthened to fight your fight, and lend a prayer a good thought, or if in some way, a hand to another in their own struggle.

And my you be comforted in your trials in that process.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rabbi. Eloquently said.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Right there with you OP and the Monkey hit it out of the park.

Well said.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent, Sigmonkey, truly excellent.
Thanks.

Posts: 277 | Location: Malta, Europe | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
I know at least one member here has a Viktor Frankl quote in his signature. (ETA, I see now that SigMonkey does have a Frankl quote.) In my opinion, Man's Search for Meaning is an absolute required read for all.

To complement SigMonkey's reply, on this topic, Frankl wrote:

“To draw an analogy: a man's suffering is similar to the behavior of a gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore the 'size' of human suffering is absolutely relative.”

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Never a contest to be won. Monkey is spot on (again) with sage words.

Cslinger, may your concern for others always be greater than your own troubles.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The Monkey needs to put out a book about his thoughts on life. I bet it would be short, to the point, and very much worth reading.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Don't add angst about your angst to your bucket of angst, cslinger Smile

Some of us are born worriers. I'm the same way. Mild depression, almost anger issues, on occasion. (More like "annoyance issues," than anger, really.) It's just the way some of us are built. As long as you don't obsess on it, don't let it take over your life, your outlook on life, don't let it control you, you'll be fine.

The fact that, rationally, you realize that, despite your worries, you actually have it pretty damn good and there are those out there who are truly hurting is an indication that you're still well-connected to reality, IMO.

That'll be 5¢, please Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Appreciate the pep talk.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been working my way through Jocko Podcast episodes. Here is a clip that gets me fired up every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTMDpizis8

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
The Monkey needs to put out a book about his thoughts on life. I bet it would be short, to the point, and very much worth reading.

And involve throwing poop Wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the worst thing about worry and stress is that it affects us not only mentally but physically.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
I know at least one member here has a Viktor Frankl quote in his signature. (ETA, I see now that SigMonkey does have a Frankl quote.) In my opinion, Man's Search for Meaning is an absolute required read for all.

Mine is also a Frankl quote. When I came across that when I first read it, it spoke to me. Because I equate the pain I received from a papercut in the office to the pain that Victor and his contemporaries endured. Reading and remembering that quote puts me in my place and clarifies what I am supposed to do when I am in the middle of life's trials.

On the other hand, I think it is okay to complain about one's life no matter how perfect as long as you're objective about it and about who you are.

I think it's okay to be like the princess who complained about sleeping on a pea that bothered her and which pea was beneath the twenty mattresses she was sleeping on as long as you also recognize some other people had to sleep on a cold hard sidewalk without even a cardboard.

If we are always completely satisfied with our lives then we lose the initiative to improve it and the lives of those close to us. But we also need to recognize the blessings we do have and be thankful for them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Slinger, now I gotta read Frankl.

We luv ya, though. And it's good to know you have enough empathy to understand your problems are small compared to others.

When I turned 18 I joined the Army. They fed me, clothed me, gave me work, gave me medical treatment, and never (ok, almost never) beat me. I was thrilled. Since Basic Combat Training, every day has been a feast, as picnic, a party, a GREAT DAY! Now, after two military tours and 25 years in the federal prison system, my worst problems are...I don't really have any! No one wants to stab me, no one is climbing the fence, no one has set fire to my office, no one has put shit on my phones....in 10 years! If I get fired, I'm already retired!

My point-enjoy what you have. Life is good. Worry when....screw it, don't! Life's gonna kill ya anyway!

PM if you want to talk, I'll send ya my phone number. You've helped me countless times with your posts.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Slinger, now I gotta read Frank

Well two points...
1-He's well worth the read
2-it's way way way cheaper then the typical gun forum "Thanks, now I have to buy an Ed Brown 1911". Smile

I guess for me I am a be prepared kind of guy. Boy Scout, think outside the box, have a plan D, carry jumper cables and flares and tools and water etc. etc. in the cars. Always have a way to make fire, make light, have a good blade and basic tools on you at all times.

Because of that the shit I can't control or mitigate or plan for scares the bejezzus out of me. For example I could be cut off from the world for 2 weeks or so no issues plenty of food, water and more importantly toilet paper. Smile. However the fact that a tornado could snuff me and mine out in 4 seconds without a thought worries the hell out of me. Especially with a kid.

I guess I just need to vent from time to time, and rest assured I realize it's all bullshit compared to millions and millions on this planet......which is why it makes me feel like shit.

posted Hide Post
From time to time, I go to large public venues to just sit and people watch.
Parks, Festivals, Malls, Fairs. Those type of things.
After watching people for a little while, it will come to you that you are fine.
Really fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't worry about things you can't change!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
sigmonkey, thank you - excellent post (as always).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
But in your despair, may you understand the greater pain another feels, and be strengthened to fight your fight, and lend a prayer a good thought, or if in some way, a hand to another in their own struggle.

And my you be comforted in your trials in that process.

For several weeks now I've been venting to a friend about a problem that is major to me, and present in her world, but far less concerning to her than to me. It's important to her, certainly, but nowhere nearly as important as it is to me. Nonetheless, she's been invaluable to me as an ear, a shoulder, and someone who is willing to listen to my gripes and help me to the extent she can.

This past weekend she contacted me, saying she'd taken her son to the ER, fearing he's contracted malaria. Suddenly our roles in each other's lives have reversed. I've been the one checking on her frequently and working to keep her spirits up, meanwhile realizing that the problem I've been going to her about is FAR less major.

The monkey nailed it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post