SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why do so many folks feel the need to "challenge" a "fast" car?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do so many folks feel the need to "challenge" a "fast" car? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I challenge Corvette and Porsche in my Camry all the time. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
So, I've had my 2017 Mustang GT convertible for 2 months now. It is not flashy, no stripes, totally stock. Not even a signature color, just "Magnetic Metallic" (grey).

One thing I have noticed since getting it is that at least 4-5 times a day, some dipshit next to me at a stop light or onramp thinks they need to "beat" me off the line. While I am a relatively sedate driver, I am not one of those ranted about in another thread about buying a nice car and driving well below it's abilities and the speed limit.

Sometimes it is a Camaro, Challenger, Charger, or the like in which case I could understand the "rivalry" of another pony car. More often than not though it is a piece of shit non-descript 4dr sedan about 10 years old. I've even see the same car that "smoked" me off the line pair up with another "basic" car at the next light and be totally sedate, further suggesting it is something about the car it is next to.

Any others with similar "sports" or "performance" cars notice the phenomenon?

And no, I don't get into it. Punching the gas only to hit the brakes for the next light or racing to the end of the onramp only to brake and merge into traffic does little for me.

Now, on an open road I will get into it and drive it like it should be, but when commuting and running errands I drive accordingly.

They don't just do that to people in fast vehicles, people do this all the time 'against' my 1 ton diesel truck.

Idiots do the red light to red light drag race thing in the city I work in all the time, meanwhile I just get up to a speed I know I'll hit a green at the next light with, even though it's well below the speed limit, and still end up getting to the same overall location within literally seconds of the stoplight racers.

It makes me want to have a PA system in the truck so I could speculate aloud regarding why why it's so urgent to race up to the next light which will also be red by the time you can get there, unless you're going to massively violate the speed limit. I mean did I miss the memo that they're giving out prizes for being the first vehicle to have to stop for the red light?

The amount of fuel people needlessly waste by that sort of driving in this town is almost as amazing as the fact that every last traffic signal in town is practically timed so if you follow the speed limit +/- 5mph, you're always hitting red lights. I'm not some extreme environmentalist, people can waste all the fuel they want, it just amazes me that they have that much money to throw away by not bothering to learn the timing of the lights in the city the people live and work in.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My BIL used to challenge everyone, for money, no matter the car they had. He never lost that I'm aware of. When making the bet he got to specify the distance of the race or no bet. He was racing them on foot! I forgot the distance, wasn't far... It was really funny though.

He used to brag he could "outrun" any car in town.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that happens to me too often. I have a 2015 Porsche Turbo S. Zero to sixty in 2.7 seconds with launch control (no wheel spin). VERY few cars are capable of that sprint time, including most Ferraris, Lambos, etc.

Seems like everyday some kid in a Mustang, Camaro, or a Rice burner wants to race at a green light. All I can do is laugh and let them speed on down the road.

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I want a 90's supercharged Bonneville so bad.

Just to make some punk kid think his $50k car is slow getting owned by a POS grandma car.

Such an underrated car/engine.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought my GTO new;

Those days are gone. Back in 70, my sister bought a new GTO, Ram Air IV with the M22 trans, posi rear 3:70 something. That I would get to drive every so often and play around. My cars were all sports cars and nowhere near stoplight racers.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
back in the day the used cars we got were 1960s 70s muscle cars road runners and the like used state trooper cars were popular cheap and fast you could watch the gas gage go down as the speedometer went up

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have an 04 Subaru STI that is lightly modded and set up for autocross. I constantly get the "challenge" I just laugh and let them go.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't want to race you. They want to see how fast your car can take off .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
But even when I had my Z06, I didn't get too many who wanted to test it.

I saw a Z06 get it's doors blown off by a Honda S2000. A couple miles up the road I pulled up next to the Honda driver and asked him what he had done with it to make it that quick. He said he added a turbo charger and was making 425hp at the rear wheels.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
When at the light and "challenged", do a little "staging" and then when as the light is ready to change (if you can see the opposing yellow), let off the brake and let the nose rise, then let off the loud pedal and watch the idjits blast off into the the wild blue yonder.

Then go on about your biddniz.

Snicker.
I've done this. Usually much more subtle though. Just enough hints to get a likely 'launch'.

This still even happens (though rarely) with my 18 yr old Volvo. That car is in what is referred to as 'stage zero' condition and is actually deceptively quick, but c'mon, really?

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same thing happens on a fast bike or one that sounds good.
Out in Salt Lake City, I had a Ducati and I couldn't make a few miles without someone wanting to race. Most of the time I did too and that bike was scary fast. A few spirited rides up Big Cottonwood Canyon was also normal.
Now I have the Indian Scout and it's the farthest thing from a sportbike possible. I have shorty pipes on and it sounds really, really good. I get guys wanting to race just because of the way it sounds.
No more racing and looking back at the time in SLC, I'm kinda lucky to be in 1 piece.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Back in the day nothing could beat my AMC off the line, but the automatic transmission was crap so the lead would invariably be well blown before it got its act together.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
When at the light and "challenged", do a little "staging" and then when as the light is ready to change (if you can see the opposing yellow), let off the brake and let the nose rise, then let off the loud pedal and watch the idjits blast off into the the wild blue yonder.

Then go on about your biddniz.

Snicker.

BTDT, and yep,, snickered,

dated a chick that had a Triumph TR7,
was at a stop light in Va Beach, on the way home from a concert (Costello and the Attractions) very late at night,

dude in a new 300Z pulls up next to us and started that shit,
he would bounce a bit, rev up, etc etc,

so did I, (girlfriend freaking out, since it was her car, and it was actually running good,,, she was afraid it would break down)

light went green, 300z took off like a bat out of hell, we easy cruised on up the street,,

moron,,

what kills me, as a Mini Cooper S driver, is the fucking morons in pickups that speed up to catch me, headlights at lighting up the interior of my car, and they don't realize I can stop on a dime, they cannot,,

nor can they take offramps or any corner as well as I can,,,

idjits

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I had a cat in a Mini Cooper S do this with me. He flew up behind me then rode my ass before pulling along the side of me and doing downshift accelerations. I have driven Cooper S and while quick and good handling they are not quite in the STi(modified- cats pulled, larger turbo/intercooler, tune) realm. Ended up being a really young kid, probably put in mom's car.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I had a cat in a Mini Cooper S do this with me. He flew up behind me then rode my ass before pulling along the side of me and doing downshift accelerations. I have driven Cooper S and while quick and good handling they are not quite in the STi(modified- cats pulled, larger turbo/intercooler, tune) realm. Ended up being a really young kid, probably put in mom's car.

yep,

you probably had a good 50-60 hp over him

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
The 2018's are coming with line lock so you can easily do those burnouts.

Fox News Link

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fast cars are fun, driving fast cars is fun, racing or otherwise driving fast with another fast car is also fun, all of which are quite popular, and have been for ages, all around the world.

In some forum across the pond I'd bet there's a similar thread by a guy in a BMW M series wondering why other strangers in Porsches and Ferraris are always doing similar things while he's out buying lederhosen.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post