SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why do so many folks feel the need to "challenge" a "fast" car?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do so many folks feel the need to "challenge" a "fast" car? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
The 2018's are coming with line lock so you can easily do those burnouts.

Fox News Link

2018 everyone gets line lock. 2015-2017 Some (the V8's) already have it (including me Big Grin )

Haven't used it yet, but when it gets close to time to replace tires ill give it a try.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I got this all the time in my Corvette, but nobody seems to notice my new M3. Probably for the best, I don't need the temptation.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Maybe people thought they stood a chance against a Corvette but know better when it comes to the M3. Or it could be that BMW styles their performance vehicles so blandly that people just see it as another 3-series.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Just drive the way you want to, and don't worry about others.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just drive the way you want to, and don't worry about others.

It seems that is very common these days. {just having fun taking your quote out of context}

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I want a 90's supercharged Bonneville so bad.

Just to make some punk kid think his $50k car is slow getting owned by a POS grandma car.

Remember the Buick Grand National? Sleeper car like you read about.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Grand Nationals are not sleeper cars, anymore.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Care to elaborate?

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Grand Nationals and GNXs have been incessantly written about, and are always gushed over at various coverages and broadcasts of Mecheam and Barrett Jackson auctions on TV.

Anyone even casually interested in fast cars know about them. Hard to call them sleepers

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
First off, when I said remember I was indicating way back when before everyone figured it out Wink Secondly, maybe it's just me but in my conversations about cars with the younger generation are not the same with the older generation. The younger generation gravitates towards technology, entertainment and city life (no car). The older generations turned a wrench and raced their cars. With Google and youtube a lot of young guys will point to what they saw/read on the internet and declare a victor without actually driving or witnessing what a car can do. If you showed a modified Grand National, Tesla and a Lambo to the average Millennial and asked which would win in a quarter mile race, most would pick the Lambo or Tesla and a surprising majority wouldn't even know what a Grand National is. I know there are gearheads in all age groups, however I find that the older guys know their shit and don't rely on 3rd party info as much.

I have a tastefully modified sports car from the 90s and it has been well cared for (also raced Grand Nationals back in the late 90s). It's a head turner and when these Millennials come over to check out the car, it's quite amusing how little they know and the look on their girlfriend's face when I tell them that I like my sport cars the way I like my women: at least 25 years old and full of issues.

To the OP, I get the same treatment all the time but if the challenge is worthy and only our lives are at stake will I take them up on it.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I love fast cars. I tend to try and provoke certain ones as I want to see them get on it!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2267 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I love fast cars. I tend to try and provoke certain ones as I want to see them get on it!

Same here. I noticed a Muskrat the other day that had a 750 HP emblem on the fender and an old guy driving. Big Grin He just ignored me. Frown

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

Same here. I noticed a Muskrat the other day that had a 750 HP emblem on the fender and an old guy driving. Big Grin He just ignored me. Frown

tried that once when test driving a Cooper Clubman S,,
caught and tried to entice a Lotus into a bit of a race,,

no dice,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I admit I don't get out much but when I went back home for my 50th. class reunion an old friend took me for a ride in his brand new Mustang Rousch. It took my breath away. I couldn't wait to get out of that thing. Damn I'm gettin' old.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my drive to work and back is on a 2 lane divided highway,

bozo in a BMW is on my bumper (I am running 75 with Cruise on, in a 65MPH zone)
so I get over as soon as I pass a slow car in the right lane,

BMW dipshit pulls up beside me then starts drifting into my lane,,, realizes what he is doing and corrects and speeds off,

few miles later, I catch him (still running cruise,,,)
as I go by, in the right lane, he speeds up, then slows down to my speed, while about 1/2 a car length in front of me,,

another slower car in my lane and bozo just cruises there,, so I have to slow, merge over behind this dipshit,,
who then speeds up again,,

this happens about 3 times before I have a chance to get past him, but noooooo, he speeds up to stay ahead

guessing he finally realized he was being a douche and stayed well ahead of me, that and there was a bit more traffic,

morons,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The 2017 ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang is a state-of-the art muscle car that combines world class handling with Detroit-born grunt. Under the hood, the ROUSHcharged 5.0L V8 power plant pumps out 670 horsepower courtesy of the ROUSH Performance R2300 TVS supercharger.

I have to wonder what the one was that I saw that had a "750 HP" decal on the fender?? I just assumed it was stock. Eek

EDIT:
Looks like it was a Shelby American:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/20...nd-750-hp-f-150.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
When I bought my latest ride a Dodge Viper GTS I heeded the advice of other owners.
And that is I do not need to prove anything. I am not going to risk a ticket or worse
for someone that needs to see a "fast car".

Posts: 1200 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I don't pay much attention to this when out in my Mustang. You want to meet me out at a road course, I'll be fine with that.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here in the great State of California, it's not that others are deliberately challenging, it's simply the way people drive....foot to the floor when the light turns green and HOLD IT as they race up to the next RED light, before stabbing the brakes at the last moment if the light doesn't change.

I call this; "Calfornia driving" because it's pretty much the norm and anyone NOT interesting in giving their engine a "dyno run" between lights is viewed as someone obstructing traffic.

Regardless of the cost of gas in California, we clearly aren't yet paying "enough" based on the proliferation of jacked up pick-up trucks, just hauling from light to light! (Central Valley)

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
On the flip side, some of these yahoos challenge any/everyone. Usually it's the folks in the crappy "sports/muscle" cars. The ones in the ragged out 80's mustang hatchbacks or the javelins that were in the junk yard as recently as that morning.

My "sleeper" was a 1967 Beetle that the previous owner wanted to make a little safer for commuting by adding a centrifugal advance distributor and a 2 to 1 exhaust system. NOT a hot rod or dune buggy, but it was a whole lot faster than most expected. When getting on it you didn't have to pop it out of third 'til 65mph or so. It allowed one to downshift at highway speeds when you needed extra umph to get out of the way of someone or something. It also allowed one to embarrass the occasional muscle car wannabe.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post