SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit Card Fraud
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Fraud Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Had to cancel another card, 3rd one in 18 months
I only use them for purchases on reputable sites, and local businesses
Someone opened a Netflix account on a card I haven’t used for months.
Cc lady said they see a ton of fraudulent Netflix accounts from 3rd world shitholes (my words not hers).

I’m going to start one of those White House petition things, when we get 100k fraudulent charges to US citizens from ShitHoleistan, or wherever the fuck these assholes are from, we automatically bomb your ass for about...oh..a solid 30 minutes.
Reset the counter, make it to 100k again?, round 2 mother fuckers

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
signed...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Last three quarterly auto ship items I ordered were canceled in a row along a number of other auto drafts. Super annoying, and makes me look like I am a deadbeat. I used to memorize my card numbers, I now no longer bother.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just went through the drill here, caught it very early with ‘alerts’.

Kinda expect shenanigans to occur.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Tis the season.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardly even an inconvenience anymore. I make one phone call, show up at the bank the next day, and pick up a new card. On rare occasions (once so far) I have to sign an affidavit swearing I didn't make the fraudulent charges. It's certainly easier than any other type of criminal attack. My card is set up so any major purchase or purchase outside my geographic area is made, I get a text. If I go on vacation, I call them and let them know in advance. The services they provide make it well worth the risk. Once in Spain they sent me 300 Euros to my waiter in a restaurant with a simple phone call and password, and it cost me 6 whole dollars. Awesome.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As has been discussed here about a zillion times, the vendors where you're using these are almost never the direct link to the fraudulent skimming of account details.

It's just a thing, as Fred says. It is a good argument to have more than one card account, so you're not completely locked up if one is stolen, while waiting on replacement.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Me too... I received a text alert late last night from the bank asking me to verify several recent charges to one of our credit cards.

Two of the charges were fraudulent. Some lowlife in Hampton, Va successfully charged $9.77 at a Hardee’s restaurant. A subsequent charge for $150.00 at the same restaurant was declined by the bank as it looked suspicious. They must have a good algorithm for detecting these shenanigans!

We’ve cancelled those cards and have new ones on the way.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Hardly even an inconvenience anymore. I make one phone call, show up at the bank the next day, and pick up a new card. On rare occasions (once so far) I have to sign an affidavit swearing I didn't make the fraudulent charges. It's certainly easier than any other type of criminal attack. My card is set up so any major purchase or purchase outside my geographic area is made, I get a text. If I go on vacation, I call them and let them know in advance. The services they provide make it well worth the risk. Once in Spain they sent me 300 Euros to my waiter in a restaurant with a simple phone call and password, and it cost me 6 whole dollars. Awesome.

As much of a pain in the ass theft and fraud are to bounce back from, credit card theft is pretty easy when you think about it. I've been hit to the tune of 2K once and it cost me a phone call to the CC company, a call to the local PD and that was it.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
They must have a good algorithm for detecting these shenanigans!

I think they're getting a lot better at this. When something out of my normal purchase habits occurs, I get a text message within about 30 seconds asking to verify.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
To a large extent, I consider this a problem of and for the credit card companies. The technology and procedures exists to stop this, but it would cost them more money to implement than to just deal with the fraud, so they leave things the way they are.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Had to cancel another card, 3rd one in 18 months
I only use them for purchases on reputable sites, and local businesses...

That latter, "local businesses," is likely the culprit. Credit card skimmers. Skimmers and otherwise compromised PoS terminals have been responsible for each of our compromised cards. That's why I almost never use my debit card anywhere but a CU ATM and use Apple Pay whenever I can.

For on-line transactions, while I know it's an unpopular thing, here, I use PayPal to the extent possible. The vendor gets no credentials other than your PP email address.

My CU's credit cards do not yet support Apple Pay. They have until the end of the first quarter of 2019 to address that lack, after which point, if they've failed to do so I'll be seeking a new CU.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I may have figured it out, not that it really matters.
Netflix wouldn’t give me the email address used to open up an account on MY credit card.
As soon as kids are out of the house, I’m closing that shit down.

A month ago, my son got in a wreck in his old hand me down car. Liability insurance only, and it was totaled, so I had it towed to the house on my dime to strip the good parts off it.

Gave the tow truck dispatcher my name, address, cc number and cv code. That’s kind of a shady business anyway.

Unless someone at McDonald’s has a skimmer, they would be my 1st guess.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I had one of my cards compromised about 6 months ago. I hadn't used the card in over a year until right before the fraud happened.

I only found out when I got a text from USAA asking if I had bought a drink at a concert in Miami. I immediately texted no and called USAA. The assholes got a few small charges through but USAA cancelled my card and rejected a few other, larger charges. I've since changed my credit card to notify me anytime there is a charge on the card.

All in all, it was a super easy process and I got my new card within a week. The place I used the card at prior to the fraud was a small used sporting goods store in my city and I will never go back again after this happened.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I just went thru this also.

As it turns out, if a webstore does not require a customer to input a CVV number, Wells Fargo approves the transaction.

I told them they are not using all the available tools to stop credit card fraud. They reiterated their policy......

They are not using

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Credit card fraud is rampant. We've been hit several times in the past couple years

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
While credit card skimming certainly happens, most of the shitholeistan purchases come from hacking.

There are a lot of online businesses that are soft targets and are susceptible to being hacked for purchase information. Each time you read about the big breaches, you know data, to include CC numbers get hacked. But most of the data comes from Billy Bob’s Goat Soap Emporium in Topeka. It’s usually much easier to hack and less security than the big players.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hit. Couple fraudulent charges from FedEx. Card cancelled, charges reversed. No worries except having to put in a new card for all of the things I have used the old card for.

One day, instead of just blowing it off, I hope the banks start hanging these fuckers until dead, then placing their heads on pikes along major interstates.

The wasted time for us customers has to be worth something.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, my credit company called and asked if I made a $1050 purchase at Sam's Club. No. I asked them that since to make a purchase at Sam's Club, you need to be a member, and there should be a membership tied to the transaction. Simple investigative work. Don't know if my CC followed up on it.
Got that from a TV show where some girl used her grocery store shoppers card along with a dead mans CC to make a purchase.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I had my Chase VISA compromised about 3 weeks ago, a couple of days after the waiter/waitress at 2 different restaurants took the card and disappeared to process it.

I got an email from Chase at about 11 pm one night asking if I had attempted to buy Asurion Wireless Insurance for $199. Chase had declined the charge.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post