SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Hate leaky Duracell Coppertops
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Hate leaky Duracell Coppertops Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
I have been using Coppertops forever and seems like the last year or so those buggers leak into everything.
AAAs in under counter LEDs leak
AAAs in electronic ear muffs leak
AAs in 512 EOTech leak
AA in a clock leak
I am done with Duracells!!!!!!!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. Six month old Duracells leaked in a flashlight big time. It happened on several devices with different types of Duracell branded batteries. None of the batteries were over a year old.

Can't understand how some of the folks talk about leaving the same batteries in things for "years". Duracells don't seem to have the quality they used to-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use rechargeable Panasonic Eneloop batteries instead! I've used dozens of them around the house for a few years now and I've yet to have a problem with any of them. No leaks like alkaline batteries even in all of our TV remotes! They are guaranteed to hold 70% of their charge for up to 10 years! They can be recharged up to 2100 times. They are the bee's knees.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Then again, I'm a complete stranger. What the hell does it matter what I think? (TM)

Posts: 191 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start contacting Duracell about replacing those items......and I'm sure they'll bring their quality back.

I've had some AAA's leak, no issue with any of the other ones from Duracell.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am done with Duracells!!!!!!!

Same here, Duracells went to shit!
Leaked in my earmuffs
Leaked in my home thermostat

I now just buy Ray-O-Vacs at Walmart. No leaking problems with them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anush,

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I used to have serious leaking problems with the Ray-O-Vacs from Wally World and swore them off; only bought Duracell or Energizers. Sounds like I won't be buying any more Duracells now either!

Thankfully the new AA's I just bought a few days ago were Energizers; if they were Duracell I'll probably take them back and swap them out based on what I'm reading here. The stuff I use them in costs too much, or is not replaceable, so leaking batteries is not something I'm willing to deal with!

As far as those Panasonic Eneloop batteries, I've been meaning to give those a try but never gotten one of those "Round 'Tuit's". Sounds like it's time to give BatteryJunction.com a visit and do some shopping! I love that place!!!

Posts: 4583 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
Amen to this thread. Just this week I pitched about $50 bucks of flashlights destroyed by coppertops. I did make one claim for a light I particularly liked a few weeks ago - and they did pay.

It has gotten to the point where I justify buying energizer lithium batteries for anything valuable - that is all I use in my Sordin's - not worth the risk.

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
-Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 909 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using eneloop or energizer lithium AA's for everything now.

Posts: 371 | Location: Lancaster,PA | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
It's really sad because Duracell Coppertop used to be THE standard in alkaline dry cell batteries! Now they can't be trusted... just pathetic!!!

Posts: 4583 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a couple weeks ago I found some Coppertop d-cells that had corroded just sitting in the plastic container I had them in, think they were less than a year old. First time I have had this happen.

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: March 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Panasonic rechargeable batteries.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The FAA is really picky about what can be installed in aircraft.

The ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) in the V-Tail used six or eight (can't remember) D-cell batteries. Duracell alkalines were the only batteries that were approved for this by the FAA.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30642 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would rather have Energizers, but Costco only carries coppertops. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
The old school military spec batteries were da kind.

I used to spend a lot of time on the water and we had as personal equipment those old school flyboy USGI SDU-5/E distress strobes. These things helped locate a number of folks in bad situations around the Outer Banks and elsewhere in blue water.

Don’t know who designed the batteries on these, but I’ve found NOS ones from years ago that still work and didn’t crack/bulge/ooze. They were the 6.0 v Lithium Manganese Dioxide battery design.
I wonder if the new mil-spec model batteries are as robust?

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I had more than a few leaky Duracells like more than 15 years ago. They have been crap for a long time IMO.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Eotech specifically recommends Energizer...

quote:
Alkaline batteries from different manufacturers are not all constructed the same way. Tests show some brands are more susceptible to degradation by the shock of recoil. We recommend the use of Energizer™ batteries with the HWS.
512 OPERATOR'S MANUAL

(I stopped using alkaline batteries altogether. Just too risky to put into my valuable electronics any more. Every alkaline manufacturer recommends removing the batteries when not using the device for extended periods. I think that says something.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had some leaky Ray-O-Vacs and they replaced them with more batteries than I had bought. The lady told me they had one "bad batch". I have never had a problem with Energizers.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. S:
I am using eneloop or energizer lithium AA's for everything now.

This ^^^^^

I use Eneloops for anything that goes through batteries regularly/frequently. Remotes, LED lights, flashlights, etc. I use Energizer lithium AAs and AAAs for things like electronic ears, weapons-mounted lights, red dot sights, etc.

I imagine there may be a half-dozen alkaline cells still in use in various things. As they run low they are replaced with either Eneloops of Energizer lithiums.

The only thing I still buy in alkaline is 9V batteries. I've yet to have one of those leak on me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a reason they're called "alkaleaks". Lithium primaries or Eneloops only.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I've had problems with Duracell and Energizers. The only up side is that Duracell is much easier to deal with if the leak causes a failure in something. (I had to cut open a maglight to prove the leaking batteries were Energizers and send in pictures.) Duracell has just asked questions over the phone - while they say they might want proof, I've received payment without sending anything in.

Do other battery companies replace stuff damaged by their leaking batteries?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post