SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Hate leaky Duracell Coppertops
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Hate leaky Duracell Coppertops Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Start contacting Duracell about replacing those items......and I'm sure they'll bring their quality back.

I've had some AAA's leak, no issue with any of the other ones from Duracell.

Had a battery leak and swell in my favorite flashlight Duracell refunded the cost of the flashlight. I gave them the data off the battery (date and a code).
Then took the flasklight, determined I could clean it up and replace the switch. It's working now.

“The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful.”
― H.L. Mencken

Posts: 4813 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've stopped using Duracell alkalines in anything that costs more than a few dollars to replace. Never had any problems with Energizers, in fact Amazon has Energizer lithium AA's on sale so I ordered a couple of cards of them yesterday.

Posts: 5085 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
The old school military spec batteries were da kind.

I used to spend a lot of time on the water and we had as personal equipment those old school flyboy USGI SDU-5/E distress strobes. These things helped locate a number of folks in bad situations around the Outer Banks and elsewhere in blue water.

Don’t know who designed the batteries on these, but I’ve found NOS ones from years ago that still work and didn’t crack/bulge/ooze. They were the 6.0 v Lithium Manganese Dioxide battery design.
I wonder if the new mil-spec model batteries are as robust?

Finding those batteries are a pia....they make an adapter that makes it possible to use 123 batteries.

And regarding the leaking batteries, I thought it was just me...last 3-4 years I have seen 20 or more .....never had it happen before that.

Posts: 6347 | Location: DFW is home but currently in PHX | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
There a bunch of Chinese knock off batteries out in the market place these days. Same with many of the poplar customer products. Chris

Posts: 1553 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I only use lithium batteries in anything that I care about, or that's for serious use. Alkalines are relegated to stuff like cheap remote controls.

Posts: 19261 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
There a bunch of Chinese knock off batteries out in the market place these days. Same with many of the poplar customer products. Chris

True-but if Duracell investigates and then pays for repair or replacement of the damaged item, they are kind of implicitly admitting it was their crappy battery that leaked (and that it wasn't a knockoff).

Posts: 21114 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:

True-but if Duracell investigates and then pays for repair or replacement of the damaged item, they are kind of implicitly admitting it was their crappy battery that leaked (and that it wasn't a knockoff).

AND, If they pay for enough damaged equipment, they MAY go back to making good batteries again.

Posts: 15029 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is the leak problem Duracell specifically, or is it that type of alkaline in general?

I have had Costco's Kirkland brand alkaline leak and ruin a couple of things.

Once, they paid for a replacement (it was a Garmin aviation GPS). Another time the batteries messed up a flashlight; one of the Costco people took the flashlight and cleaned up the mess, returned it to me in working condition and gave me some new batteries.

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 16477 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is the leak problem Duracell specifically, or is it that type of alkaline in general?

I have had Costco's Kirkland brand alkaline leak and ruin a couple of things.

Once, they paid for a replacement (it was a Garmin aviation GPS). Another time the batteries messed up a flashlight; one of the Costco people took the flashlight and cleaned up the mess, returned it to me in working condition and gave me some new batteries.

It is a nature of Alkaline batteries. However, duracells USED to be the gold standard and flawless and never leak (well almost never). Lately they seem to be leaking fairly often or at least a lot more often than they used to.

Posts: 15029 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have had about 4 Duracell leaks in the past two years. I won't buy any more.

I removed them from everything and replaced them with Eneloops mostly. The expensive stuff (Surefire, Eotech) get lithium AA batteries. Seriously people,do not put alkalines in an EoTech! What are you thinking??!!I

I started using Amazon brand alkaline batteries for the kids toys and cheap stuff and so far so good, no leaks.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post