SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Motorcycle wheels and tires.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle wheels and tires. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Years back replaced front and rear tires on my BMW R1200GS at my closest Dealer in Missoula. I was headed to Kalispell and maybe 20 miles onto that Highway there was road construction. Basically no pavement and a few inches of mud.

As I got out of the mud I notice it STILL feels like I'm in mud. Front tire had hit something and was flat. I had hit something that punctured he sidewall. $220 tire DONE with less than 50 miles on it.

Had a similar situation with a big nail on my last HD Dyna Glide. Though that new tire had a few hundred miles on it.

Want a similar surprise buying tires? Look at what four speed rated tires cost for a current Porsche or Corvette. They run a staggered set up, wider/larger rears. So no rotation to get a little extra mileage. Just paid $540 for the two rears on my Porsche 718. Then add in mount/balance.

Nothing reasonable anymore.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
On a new tire that really sucks.

It's one thing for owners of exotic cars to have to pay big bucks for tires but what about someone traveling on just a regular mid size motorcycle?

We were at a BMW rally at Copper Mountain Colorado maybe 7 years ago and my friend needed a part so we stopped at the BMW dealer in (I think) Denver. A lady rider from Canada was there paying for the two new tires they just put on her F700. When they gave her the bill which was a little over $700 I thought she was going to faint. Hell I thought *I* was going to faint! They charged over $400 for the two tires, plus disposal fee, plus $40 each to mount and balance, something like another $140 for labor (at over $100 per hour) to remove and reinstall the wheels, plus tax. If you ride many miles, and have to have a dealer change them for you, tires can be the most expensive part of motorcycling.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Similar situation for me, nail in the rear tire on a trip up through GA, got to the dealer before closing, new rear, and the front tread was gone enough might as well do it at the same time, and of course it needed brake pads. $800 later I was back on the road...

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Ouch, HRK. If going on ride or trip where I have any doubt the tires may not last the whole ride I just install new ones before I go. If the take offs are 1/2 worn or better I save them to put back on, if less than 12 remaining I just toss them.
For around $300, and a couple hours of my time (unless its the Guzzi), I can avoid a days interruption finding a cycle shop with the right tires and paying them $600.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yeah there was plenty of tread left to make the trip, the original plan was to do the ride, then when I got home order tires from my friend who owns a shop, pull the wheels and do the brake pads myself while the dealer installed the new tires....

Murphy hit outside of Columbus/Fort Benning GA.
It was close to closing time, they offered to come get me, put on the tires, stayed a bit late since we were on the road so that was good.

Since the bike was up on the lift putting a new rear on, decided to go ahead an do the front and brake pads then, wasn't a big increase in the cost, it just made sense to do it all then.

Had three sets of brake pads EBC sitting in the garage too, go figure...

It sure rode better with air in the tire.....

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 Harleys, and I do my own mounting. I buy them here:
https://tiresunlimited.com/sho...t_Touring_Tires?q={}
at substantially less than buying them, at some dealer. If for some reason I can't use my Horror Fraught tire stand, I do them with a set of three 18" tire spoons.
Bike goes up on my cheap craftsman jack in the morning and by 1 or 2 it's ready to roll. Not too bad for a fat old 71 year old man.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
I've got 2 Harleys, and I do my own mounting...... If for some reason I can't use my Horror Fraught tire stand, I do them with a set of three 18" tire spoons.

Bike goes up on my cheap craftsman jack in the morning and by 1 or 2 it's ready to roll. Not too bad for a fat old 71 year old man.

Good for you and no it's not! And I'm right behind you.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd get a tire changing tool but then all my fat old goober HD riding buddies would want me to do tire changing for free.... Big Grin

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'd get a tire changing tool but then all my fat old goober HD riding buddies would want me to do tire changing for free.... Big Grin

Do it for free.
I figure a "courtesy fee" of a 15 pack of my favorite beer per wheel is about right. I've got a little over 4 of those sitting in the shop fridge...and no; no one drinks while I work.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

A friend has one and yes many bring their wheels and tires, along with a 12-pack, to him to change their tires. Win win.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Having only ever mounted bicycle tires (predominantly super skinny road bike tires), how difficult is doing a motorcycle tire?

I've watched techs struggle with wide, low-profile car tires (C6 ZR1 Corvette comes to mind, took the tech 5 tries to get the tire mounted on the rear).
On a more 'standard' motorcycle tire (read: not super wide or stiff) is it overly difficult? From what I've seen, a couple rim protectors & the tire levers, with a bit of elbow grease? Then knowing how to properly balance (DIY gravity balancing rig or a purpose-built rig).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Having only ever mounted bicycle tires (predominantly super skinny road bike tires), how difficult is doing a motorcycle tire?

On a more 'standard' motorcycle tire (read: not super wide or stiff) is it overly difficult? From what I've seen, a couple rim protectors & the tire levers, with a bit of elbow grease? Then knowing how to properly balance (DIY gravity balancing rig or a purpose-built rig).

Motorcycle tires aren't that difficult to change, I just do them by hand using 3 tire irons and 3 plastic rim protectors. I lay the wheel on two 2x4's to ensure the rotor doesn't touch the floor. Years ago I invested in bead breaker and balancer. Soapy water as a lube for taking them off and mounting them works well. If it's cool where your working warming the new tires up in the sun or in front of a heater helps.
It would be helpful to have someone who does it to be with you the first time.
Really the only difficult tires that I've changed were on a Goldwing 1800 and a scooter.