SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So, the Toyota Prius
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, the Toyota Prius Login/Join 
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted
Is it capable of reaching the posted speed limit, or is just the people who drive them who cannot? Confused

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have numerous family members who own them. I actually had to drive one from Indiana to Arizona one time due to a family emergency. It's like driving a golf cart. If you want an appliance to get you from point a to point b inexpensively, it'll do the job. But it'll suck all the joy and excitement from the act of driving while doing it.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I use to rent them in Kalifornia as I didn’t want to pay the ridiculous gas prices they pay. Yes the thing can move. It’s no slower than a Subaru Crosstek. Many Prii owners just choose to be morally superior and drive like they are trying to squeeze every single cent out of the tank. It was funny to watch them, how aggravated they were, when EV’s came out. It was like someone popped their balloon. There is a guy at work. He has a small ranch with cattle, horses. He got tired of driving in his large truck to work so he got one as a commuter. He has a “not a liberal” bumper sticker on the back.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I knew a Prius owner who was obsessed with the tire pressure - he bragged about how high, i.e. higher than recommend, he kept the tires inflated to reduce rolling resistance and increase milage.

Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

They should all have that written on them.Big Grin

posted Hide Post
You mean the Pious, don't you?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I have numerous family members who own them. I actually had to drive one from Indiana to Arizona one time due to a family emergency. It's like driving a golf cart. If you want an appliance to get you from point a to point b inexpensively, it'll do the job. But it'll suck all the joy and excitement from the act of driving while doing it.

very good description,

I test drove one years ago,

golf cart is right, slow off the line, did not handle well in the corners,
however

it would cruise all day at 80 or 90 on a highway,

the dealer I was talking to said he often gets calls from his Prius buyers that were both amazed and pissed cause they would get speeding tickets on the highway,

even with the motor running, it is a relatively quiet and smooth car,

I was running 75 on the highway on the test drive and had I not looked at the speedo, would not have thunk it,

of course, it took a minute or 2 to get that fast,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Also, in a test conducted by Top Gear actually got WORSE gas mileage than a BMW M3!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three power options (EV, Eco, Power), in power mode its no different than any other 4 cyl vehicle. Other than the fact its going to get 50-60 MPG.
They will get up and move out.

Most drivers on the other hand...

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Official vehicle of Biden supporters.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
even with the motor running, it is a relatively quiet and smooth car,

I was running 75 on the highway on the test drive and had I not looked at the speedo, would not have thunk it,

of course, it took a minute or 2 to get that fast,,,,

Yep. On-ramps were no fun, but once it got up there it was fine. Interstate driving was pretty much like any other car (except it was a tad cramped for a 6'5" male like myself, and there's virtually no trunk space). Once we got on the twisty back roads in the canyons of northern AZ, though, it sucked all enjoyment out of what should have been an awesome drive, and I truly began to hate it.

We have a base model Mazda 3 with a 2.0L I4 and 6-speed manual that we use as our runaround vehicle. It's barely got enough power to get out of it's own way, but it gets almost 40mpg highway, 30mpg in town, has over twice the trunk space, and only has one powerplant to troubleshoot and maintain. Not to mention, it's way more fun to drive than the Prius. I'm not sure why I'd opt for a complicated hybrid when cars like this are available...it's probably because I don't value the smug factor. Razz

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
I knew a Prius owner who was obsessed with the tire pressure - he bragged about how high, i.e. higher than recommend, he kept the tires inflated to reduce rolling resistance and increase milage.
See.....Obama was right. LOLOLOLOL.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are exceptions to everything.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Around these parts, it seems that along with a Prius ownership, you assume the identity of John Force.
I swear every Prius driver in Cottonwood AZ is part of the Stoplight Mafia and just smashing it off the line.

I’m being serious. I have yet to meet a Prius driver here that drives sane or rationally.

They’ll do the speed limit, but it takes ten seconds to get to 60.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I can't blame them.

They are hoping that the ugly ass BMW will go faster than them so they won't have to look at the hideous piece of shit.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Around here, they're either doing 10-5mph under the limit or they're doing 90mph. It's ridiculous.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I can't blame them.

They are hoping that the ugly ass BMW will go faster than them so they won't have to look at the hideous piece of shit.

Seriously? I think you're jealous, or have never driven one.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

There are exceptions to everything.

Yep. They are decent cars for what they are. We owned two, and liked them.

Nothing wrong with wanting good MPG with decent cargo capacity in a reliable car from a quality-oriented manufacturer.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post