SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Firefox is DRRRAAAGGGING
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox is DRRRAAAGGGING Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Latest update is in place and this thing is SLLLLOOOOWWW.

Replied to a post a minute ago and I had typed half the first sentence before the reply box opened. Chrome is snappy, so I think the issue is actually Firefox. all add-ons inactive aside from Roboform. Any ideas?

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I have one certain game online that I play that would absolutely refuse to load with Firefox and also IE 11, I uninstalled FF and went with Waterfox and it will load but extremely slow and also extremely slow on Chrome. I know part of my problems are my computer but the browsers also have their share of problems.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I agree. they are no loading them up with all sorts of code that apparently slows them to a crawl.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm on version 56.0.2 (64-bit) and it's running fine.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm running Firefox ESR v52.4 (Extended Support Release). I made the switch to ESR ten months ago and I haven't looked back. And I no longer have any complaints re: browser performance! Cool

Here's the deal from the Firefox ESR webpage:

Who is it for?

Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations such as universities and other schools, county or city governments and businesses.

Who is it NOT for?

Individual users who always want the latest features, performance enhancements and technologies in their browser without waiting for them to become available in ESR several development cycles later.

As the webpage indicates Firefox ESR is for large enterprise deployments, where the IT departments typically want a stable consistent platform across all machines they manage. Sounded perfect to me....I'm a Power User and don't want Windows (or any software) on my PC(s) doing anything automatically, especially updates! Roll Eyes
Additionally, I was SICK and TIRED of weekly browser updates with all the 'latest features' anyway, which tended to load my machine(s) down. When Firefox dropped support for 'All NPAPI Plugins' in Firefox 52, I was done!

Enter Firefox ESR, which gets security updates as needed (actually not that frequently), and runs like a top!

Firefox is available for Windows and Linux (both 64-bit and 32-bit versions), as well as macOS....Regardless of your preference, there's a flavor for you

FYI - I run the Windows 64-bit version on multiple machines, and have a legacy 32-bit machine as well. Like I said....NO Issues! Wink

Check it out here --> Mozilla Firefox - Extended Support Release

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah Firefox blows on my MBP lately. Been using Safari and Chrome again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah Firefox blows on my MBP lately. Been using Safari and Chrome again.

I like Safari on Windows but since they have stopped supporting it, I'm a bit nervous using it on windows based machines.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'm running Firefox ESR v52.4 <SNIP> Cool

Wink

Thanks. I just installed it and will give it a try.

RMD

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I find that Safari on an MacBook Pro is very laggy now and has been for about two months.

It also tends to lock up.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'm running Firefox ESR v52.4 <SNIP> Cool

Wink

Thanks. I just installed it and will give it a try.

RMD

Make sure you get an Ad Blocker Add-on, if you don't already run one. Two popular Ad Blockers of note are 'uBlock Origin' and 'AdBlocker Ultimate'. There have been a few threads here on the subject.

I run 'Adguard AdBlocker', in part because I like the interface and it's simple/easy to configure. It's also VERY effective! And, I don't see ANY annoyances from Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) littering every web page I visit either!

Regardless of which you choose, they will help minimize page load times, and decrease CPU load and memory usage. Ultimately they will help keep your browsing experience from getting SLLLLOOOOWWWED down! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thank you'll for this web site.
I loaded it on my old X/P and it runs as fast as my windows 10
I am not sure I like it,been used to the old slow shit so long its running way faster than I can think. Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been on my computer for a while and got on it yesterday and saw that Firefox was different and the initial page said it was going to be much faster. Well, it is so slow it is unusable. I literally am waiting 20 seconds after I click or scroll for the page to react. I had to start using Chrome now. I guess I will check out Firefox ESR.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Arg. I too updated to the latest Firefox and while it's been as peppy as can be for this old heap all of a sudden it won't recognize the finger gesture for "go back" on my touchscreen laptop. I know it's the browser because I just tested it in an Explorer window.

This is annoying.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Is my memory correct that Firefox came up with something called "quantum"?

I clicked on it and it did some download magic and since then my Firefox has been faster than ever, and it was always pretty fast.

Got a new "opening screen" but it still has all my one click tabs. That new opening screen just includes a shit ton of links to other sites.

I just ignore them.

Edited to add:

https://www.cnet.com/news/fire...aa0b&linkId=44728177

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
The Firefox Quantum is what was slow as hell for me. I deleted it and installed the Firefox ESR and now everything is back to normal.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Is my memory correct that Firefox came up with something called "quantum"?

I clicked on it and it did some download magic and since then my Firefox has been faster than ever, and it was always pretty fast.

Me too. D/L about a week ago and so far its fine. Faster, though not as fast as Chrome, but I am used to the interface and that's more important to me.

RMD

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's me but firefox isn't loading complete webpages. For Sigforum it only shows the green background and nothing else. IE works fine, so it must be the browser.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post