SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Waiting in Line
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting in Line Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
How much time is wasted stopping at the convenience store every morning?

There must be a better use of your time...

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I hate lines of any kind. Idiots at the grocery store in self check out taking all day with no regard to being quick about anything. People wanting to check the entire receipt when being checked out by a checker. Convenience store behind the lottery ticket idiots are the worst. It's like standing behind a crack addict.

One week for my weekly cheat meal I hit up Whataburger on a Fri or Sat night. The line was just not moving and I must have sat in that fucking line for 25-30 minutes. I finally get up to the window politely asking WTF? Guy says "those people over there waiting for their food ordered a lot" and I said, it's Ok, I'm cool. He checked both ways and said "They ordered like $90 worth of food". I say WTF. He then says "They need to take their asses to the grocery store". I nodded in agreement. I get my burger and start driving off and I stop next to them. It's 4 millennials. All 4 are staring down at their phones, and all 4 looked up when I stopped my car next to them. Shook my head. Idiots.

I scheduled my entire life around lines and people. I go to the grocery store, convenience store, name it, when it's dead. A week before any holiday I stock up on anything I might need. Christmas season is the worst for this shit. Getting a haircut, going to the dentist, grocery store, necessity type stuff, is a royal PITA due to lines and parking. I loathe it every year and basically hibernate at home outside of work, gym, groceries, and Mass. It's absolutely ridiculous.

This is why I do most of my shopping on Amazon. Just can't stand them and don't have the patience to stay silent about their absurd behavior.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Invariably with the lottery ticket clowns, I have to suppress yelling
"Why don't you move to f..kin Vegas?"

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
TK13 - That Pinette clip was really enjoyed. I used to watch him often on the Comedy Channel. Yet another great comic gone! Thanks!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:

This is why I do most of my shopping on Amazon. Just can't stand them and don't have the patience to stay silent about their absurd behavior.

If you call them on their poor behavior, even doing it nicely, they flip out and go into full anger mode. It's like when I'm in the car, someone is drifting lanes because phone/inattentive/eating, whatever. I honk, as I don't want to get hit. Then they start flipping you off and coming apart at the seams. A week ago, on a service road, 3 lanes. Some lady waits until the last minute to get on the highway. She is in the right hand lane, jams on the brakes, crosses 3 lanes of 50 mph traffic all at once and nearly wrecked into a wall making the highway onramp. She goes right across the nose of my car and almost hit me. AS she is coming and turning into me I honk to wake her up and not get hit. She literally nearly caused a 4-5 vehicle wreck. As they get onto the highway the POC female in the passenger seat is flipping me off and making the blowjob sign with her hand and mouth. I rolled down the window, smiled at her then made an air rack of the slide with my hand and air fired a shot. No firearm, just air gestures.

These people are literally out of their minds. The drive as poorly as they act in public. They just don't give a fuck about anyone.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
my favorite is still the post office. the line can be out the door and some numbskull will be standing there trying to figure what stamp they want to buy. And to make it worse, the postal worker is chatting with them as if it's a major decision and they have all day Mad

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People that write checks that don’t even think of digging out their checkbook until the cashier gives them the total.

Luckily check writing seems to be going away.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
The drive as poorly as they act in public. They just don't give a fuck about anyone.

Worst driving I have ever seen. Got to disable phones when people are driving. Then again I saw some fucking twit reading a magazine while driving the other day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely in the "no patience" "hate lines" crowd. I get frustrated and angry in record time. Fucking California, I can't say enough bad things. Too many selfish entitled assholes clogging up every inch of this place. Dammit

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were President & Dictator for Life, I'd have EVERY customer facing operation have a minimum of 3 lines.

Line #1
My stuff is organized, and have all the information to make the transaction go as quickly as possible. Check is filled out, paperwork you need is ready etc.,

Line #2
My stuff is mostly organized. I mostly know what needs to happen.

Line #3
I'm lost like last years Easter Egg. I'm eat up like a soup sammich, and need to be hit with multiple clue bats. You will try everyone's patience, and cause the service people to drink to excess that night.

If you go into line #1 or #2 and should be in line #3, you get sent to the back of Line #3 and have to wait two extra penalty people ahead of you.

At least then, the people who have their act together can get in and out faster, and not have to stand in line while the guy paying with unrolled pennies is counting out his $678.92 payment.

Thank you for letting me rant!
Thank you.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
The local hardware store has socialized, blue, stand here lines laid down six feet apart. One day, with five people behind me, this guy walks up and stands three feet in front of me. So, quite politely (and loud enough for the whole store to hear) “Hey, dude, the line starts back there, to the East!” As he moved along further East, he mask mumbled something that sounded like “sorry”, the old gal behind me came up and gave me a hug and said “Thanks for standing up for what’s right”.

I hope that wasn't me. Early on in the Scamdemic, I did this at Lowes. I honestly didn't see the social distancing dots on the floor. (It was masking tape back then.) I apologized profusely (and nicely) and went to the back of the line. Learned my lesson.

The gas station thing really peeves me. Get done pumping, then go in and shop without moving the car. Seriously? I should carry one of those valve insert removal tools with me.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps way: Hurry up and wait.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

I hope that wasn't me. Early on in the Scamdemic, I did this at Lowes.

Nope, not you, I’d never call out a fellow SF member like that, in public. Besides it was at True Value Hardware.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
The Army started it for me with lines for everything. Back in the day when payday came around I was not in a real hurry to get to the pay master because the line was alphatized by rank. being a lowly private and last name was at the end of the alphabet I knew that it was going to be a long morning. Also with being stationed in South Korea(1969-1970) it was illegal (punishable under the UCMJ) to have US (greenbacks) in your possesion. I kept a $5 bill stashed in my wallet. We were paid with script known as MPC (military payment currency) (looked like monopaly money) and ever so often the script was changed to stop counterfiting on the Korean market. What they did was to put everything on lockdown and nothing moved in or out of the compounds/bases till payday completed everywhere. If you were off base when lockdown started you were screwed because entry/exit would denied and if you had money stashed off base you were not allowed off base to go get it. When these events you could see Korean civilians come to the fence with large amounts of the older MPC and try to get someone to exchange it for the new MPC. Location was Camp Sabre/Munsan-ni (105mm towed howitzer).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
The Army started it for me with lines for everything. Back in the day when payday came around I was not in a real hurry to get to the pay master because the line was alphatized by rank. being a lowly private and last name was at the end of the alphabet I knew that it was going to be a long morning. Also with being stationed in South Korea(1969-1970) it was illegal (punishable under the UCMJ) to have US (greenbacks) in your possesion. I kept a $5 bill stashed in my wallet. We were paid with script known as MPC (military payment currency) (looked like monopaly money) and ever so often the script was changed to stop counterfiting on the Korean market. What they did was to put everything on lockdown and nothing moved in or out of the compounds/bases till payday completed everywhere. If you were off base when lockdown started you were screwed because entry/exit would denied and if you had money stashed off base you were not allowed off base to go get it. When these events you could see Korean civilians come to the fence with large amounts of the older MPC and try to get someone to exchange it for the new MPC. ................................ drill sgt.

I was there, Camp Red Cloud, 68-70 and have the same memories about the MPC's.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
The woman at the grocery store checkout who's chatting with the cashier about their grandchildren, weather, politics, whatever. I always want to holler "This is a checkout line, not a goddamn chat room! Can we move this along, ladies?" So far I've managed to bite my tongue.

You would not do well in Wickenburg. Smile The behavior you describe is standard everywhere here, the MVD, the hardware store, the grocery, etc., anywhere there is a wait in line.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And this is why I like shopping where the college students and beach visitors shop - makes it much more enjoyable to pass the time watch those around me. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In the old days at the grocery store, the clerk scans the food while the woman is talking and yakkin' away to the clerck trying to work. When the groceries are bagged, the total amount is brought up, she looks into her purse, fumbles around a bit, pulls out her checkbook, looks for a pen, and THEN starts to write out a check. Thankfully I don't see this anymore.

How about standing in a lengthy line for a sandwich at a deli, the two women in front of you are yakkin' and yakkin' all the way up to the register, then after the "what can I get you?" intro, they look up at the wall menu- "ummm, let's see...what should I get...wow, so many choices...Diane, what are you gonna get?...really? is it good?..."

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post