SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Waiting in Line
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting in Line Login/Join 
posted
My gripe is probably an expression of advancing years. When you get to my age, you figure you only have so much time left and some asshole in front of you is using it up. The top aggravations for me are, I'm in line at the convenience store, holding my compulsory morning diet coke with the exact change in hand to facilitate a quick exit. There are two people ahead of me and either it's a woman, who can't decide which scratch off tickets to buy and how many or it's the guy buying three packs of cigarettes to get him through the day and the clerk is having trouble finding his brand. The worst example I encountered today. I'm idling in the ATM lane at the bank and two cars in front of me is a woman making 4 or 5 transactions, not only for herself but her friends in her office. Feel free to add other examples.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The drive up mic at McDonalds especially at breakfast. Not that many choices. Figure it out before you get there please.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local hardware store has socialized, blue, stand here lines laid down six feet apart. One day, with five people behind me, this guy walks up and stands three feet in front of me. So, quite politely (and loud enough for the whole store to hear) “Hey, dude, the line starts back there, to the East!” As he moved along further East, he mask mumbled something that sounded like “sorry”, the old gal behind me came up and gave me a hug and said “Thanks for standing up for what’s right”.

Posts: 880 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
the old gal behind me came up and gave me a hug and said “Thanks for standing up for what’s right”.

At which point you gave her a palm strike to the sternum to create space, began screaming about social distancing violations, and doused yourself with hand sanitizer?

If not, you should probably go get tested, dude.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if you have ever been in the military, right there you hate lines. On top of that then it does not take much to set us off.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A was going to make a post...
...sitting here waiting for an opening in the internet to due such, I have forgotten what I was going to post. Hmmmm...

Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Yep I agree! I can’t stand long or slow lines. Seems most people will wait how ever long for anything. Full barbershop waiting room and only a coulple barbers, I‘ll walk right out and try again next week. Picking something up only to find a long line for checkout. Thats when I find out that I really don’t need it that bad and walk out empty handed. PSA here in SC is a terrible offender with 20+ minute waits for checkout (this was pre covid). I’ll just end up ordering it online like I should have in beginning but sometimes its nice to browse around a gun shop every once in a while.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its the grocery store. Always someone blocking the exact spot where I want to grab what I want and go. Dont ponder your grocery list, dig through coupons, read the can labels or try to find something fresher while I wait!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Oh, good. I thought I was being unreasonable and impatient again.

My wife gets on me about it from time to time, and I explain it to her:

"I was born with about 1/10th the normal issue of patience to start with. 22 years in the Navy and another 15 in the Fire Service burned ALL the patience out of me many years ago. Consider yourself lucky I haven't taken a baseball bat to anyone yet and pray I don't go postal at Walmart one day."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
The drive up mic at McDonalds especially at breakfast. Not that many choices. Figure it out before you get there please.

That's my wife, when one was still able to eat INSIDE at a McDonalds (another pet peeve). Nine times out of ten, I order the same thing but for her being there is a whole new experience. Each time, she has to study the menu. "It'McDonalds for christs sake! We were just here two days ago! Order something. There are people waiting behind us!"

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Well, if you have ever been in the military, right there you hate lines. On top of that then it does not take much to set us off.

That's reminiscent of the old joke about the private being chewed out by the sergeant, who ends his rant by saying, "...and I bet when I'm dead, you're gonna come and piss on my grave." To which, the private replies, "No, sergeant, I won't because I promised myself, that if I ever get out of this army, I'll never stand in line again!"

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Ah yes. Does the term hurry up and wait ring a bell? (Army 1968).

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Nine times out of ten, I order the same thing but for her being there is a whole new experience. Each time, she has to study the menu. "It'McDonalds for christs sake! We were just here two days ago! Order something. There are people waiting behind us!"

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
What makes waiting in line even worse is when you pick the wrong line. Approaching the pumps at Costco and picking a lane, especially before the virus when they were more crowded, was always a crap shoot. You get in what you think will be the quickest lane and invariably you end up watching other lines moving while yours is going nowhere thanks to people who don't comprehend that you're supposed to leave after you finish pumping gas.

Yeah, almost always women....

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The woman at the grocery store checkout who's chatting with the cashier about their grandchildren, weather, politics, whatever. I always want to holler "This is a checkout line, not a goddamn chat room! Can we move this along, ladies?" So far I've managed to bite my tongue.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Nothing is worse than waiting behind a woman who's dealing with a bank teller.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Nothing is worse than waiting behind a woman who's dealing with a bank teller.

I usually get behind someone opening a Christmas Club account.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Dropping the kids off at school.

As soon as I turn into the parking lot, I call out "backpacks and lunchboxes" that's the cue for my kids to get ready to get out of the truck. There's plenty of time while we are winding our way through the parking lot heading to the drop off point for them to get their stuff ready and to say our goodbyes. When I stop, the kids are ready and they get out. Takes 5 seconds to drop off 3 kids from stop to doors closed.

Inevitably, the car in front of me has 1 kid who gets out, opens the trunk, gets his or her crap out of the trunk, closes the trunk, walks back to the car door, and proceeds to have a goodbye conversation withthe parental unit before finally closing the door. Said parental unit then theor own sweet time getting organized to leave. This same person proceeds to full stop at every stop sign in the parking lot. During drop off, traffic is one way and no one is coming from any other direction.

Keep it tight and keep it moving folks.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I hate lines of any kind. Idiots at the grocery store in self check out taking all day with no regard to being quick about anything. People wanting to check the entire receipt when being checked out by a checker. Convenience store behind the lottery ticket idiots are the worst. It's like standing behind a crack addict.

One week for my weekly cheat meal I hit up Whataburger on a Fri or Sat night. The line was just not moving and I must have sat in that fucking line for 25-30 minutes. I finally get up to the window politely asking WTF? Guy says "those people over there waiting for their food ordered a lot" and I said, it's Ok, I'm cool. He checked both ways and said "They ordered like $90 worth of food". I say WTF. He then says "They need to take their asses to the grocery store". I nodded in agreement. I get my burger and start driving off and I stop next to them. It's 4 millennials. All 4 are staring down at their phones, and all 4 looked up when I stopped my car next to them. Shook my head. Idiots.

I scheduled my entire life around lines and people. I go to the grocery store, convenience store, name it, when it's dead. A week before any holiday I stock up on anything I might need. Christmas season is the worst for this shit. Getting a haircut, going to the dentist, grocery store, necessity type stuff, is a royal PITA due to lines and parking. I loathe it every year and basically hibernate at home outside of work, gym, groceries, and Mass. It's absolutely ridiculous.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I scheduled my entire life around lines and people. I go to the grocery store, convenience store, name it, when it's dead. A week before any holiday I stock up on anything I might need.

Oh, definitely. Same here.

The best time of my career was when I worked 4x10 hour shifts, daytime, with Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday off.

Running all your errands on a Wednesday mid-morning means rarely having to deal with anyone else. No waiting. No lines. Minimal other people. It was glorious.

(Plus it's nice having a break after every 2 work days. And I still had evenings and weekends off to boot.)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post