SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    They've Done It Again!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They've Done It Again! Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I went to buy some staples a short while ago, and decided to pick up some snacks. I'm not usually a potato chip guy, but I thought having some on hand might be a good idea.

So I don't want the big family size bag, and I like getting a "two-fer" price, so I started picking up the "two for $6" bags. Then I noticed it:

Not only has the price gone up from two for $5.00, but it's now two for $6.00. Worse yet, the net weight of the packages has gone down. No longer can one find an eight ounce bag of chips, they are now being sold in sizes of 6.5 oz., 7 oz., etc.

So, raise the price and offer less.

Same thing with ice cream, I see...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's important to check the weight when buying ice cream. The assholes entrain air into it -- a great cost saving move, 'cause air is pretty cheap.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
It's important to check the weight when buying ice cream. The assholes entrain air into it -- a great cost saving move, 'cause air is pretty cheap.

That’s one thing that becomes obvious when living at an elevation of 10,000+ feet above sea level: The air in ice cream expands and I’ve seen some what I considered to be semipremium brands with their lids pushed up so far that the product was visible in the store freezer. As a couple of contrary examples on the other hand, Tillamook ice cream expands very little and Häagen-Dazs almost not at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
^^^
Learn something new every day here.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
The assholes entrain air into it -- a great cost saving move, 'cause air is pretty cheap.

The technical term is "overrun". It's the air incorporated in during the churning process.

Regular ice cream has about 50% overrun, meaning there is one part air to two parts cream. Premium ice cream is usually around 35% overrun.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If you're not buying Blue Bell, you're doing it wrong.....

Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do you consider "They've Done It Again!" to be a clear and unambiguous subject line?

Do you know that if I followed through on what I promised you guys a while back, this thread- and MANY others in this forum- would now be locked?

I'm going to keep saying this until you guys get it.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything is that way and everything just costs more and more. I don't mind so much with things like chips and ice cream as you can just buy a larger bag or more bags. What REALLY pisses me off are things like toilet paper, where the roll is now so narrow you have to use 2 fingers to wipe your behind. I buy regular width rolls at Costco, but sometimes get stuff with things like this. Or the quality of a product drops dramatically while raising the price substantially.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
You don't buy chips but you know not only the previous cost, but also the previous weight?

I don't know about this premise

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Nitrogen is whats used/injected.
You're mostly right (~ 78%) Big Grin Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Everything is that way and everything just costs more and more. I don't mind so much with things like chips and ice cream as you can just buy a larger bag or more bags. What REALLY pisses me off are things like toilet paper, where the roll is now so narrow you have to use 2 fingers to wipe your behind. I buy regular width rolls at Costco, but sometimes get stuff with things like this. Or the quality of a product drops dramatically while raising the price substantially.

The toilet paper width change upset me enough to look for any brand, anywhere, that kept to at least a 4.5" width. These two are the best I've found so far:

https://www.amazon.com/Profess...rds=angel+soft+16560

and

https://catalog.lorenzsupply.c...th-Tissue-45-x-375-/

I knew there were wider alternatives to the shit sold to us in stores because I stayed at a hotel that used a wider roll. It ain't the thick Charmin stuff (which I don't care for any way), but they aren't the see-through thin paper in a Scott's roll. At a little over $1/roll, I think it's money well spent.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I knows what you mean, I had to buy bread the other day and it was like $3.79 for a loaf.

WTF? I remember back in 1972 it was only .89 and the loaf had three more slices.

Fucking rip off is what it is!

Roll Eyes

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Nitrogen is whats used/injected.
You're mostly right (~ 78%) Big Grin Link

Not to drift but when customers at my tire shop ask about nitrogen I tell them we use a 78% mix and that satisfies 100% of them.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post