SIGforum
canceled dish tv

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2400077754

June 12, 2019, 06:57 AM
DSgrouse
canceled dish tv
Wife and I just don't use it. I listen to audio books, she is busy with her stuff. It rarely gets turned on. We just don't like to sit and watch anymore. It is easier to have netflix/prime/youtube up on one cpu screen and work other.

So I called yesterday.
Went to programming change/customer service group. spent 5 min explaining I wanted to cancel. after not canceling me, I am told cancellations are another group. The fun begins.

I am transferred around, 10 minutes wait on hold in between the transfers, and "researching your account".

I get to this schmuck who states, "I understand you want to change your programming, what would you like to add?"

"no, I am canceling my service. Please cancel it as of today, and get me what I need to return the equipment to you."

"Why are you canceling"

"Please cancel my service as of today, please get me what I need to return your equipment."

"you need to tell me why"

"no, cancel my service as of today, Please get me what i need to return your equipment."

"I see from your account you are a long time member (less than 3 years, so not that long). Long term customers do not cancel."

"I do, please cancel my service as of today...."

"We can have packages from 20 dollars a month"

"Please cancel my service."

"you need to tell us why, "

"This phone call is why, cancel my service, get me what i need to return your equipment."

"we can take 40 dollars off your bill..."

"wait, you have been overcharging me 40 dollars a month, NOW i really want to cancel"

"No, ."

"Cancel my service as of today, get me what I need to return your equipment."

This is paraphrased, Repeat this line about 50 times for an hour after getting to this schmuck.

Soon as i get this crap out of my house, the better.
June 12, 2019, 07:36 AM
whododat
Frustrating as hell!!
I just went through the same thing with my Verizon Fios package. The gentleman, whose name I cannot spell, kept trying to offer me an upgrade after he mis-diagnosed my issue. I just kept telling him I would not pay for the 50 dollar service fee. We went back and forth and ended up telling him to downgrade my entire account to the cheapest one. At the end of the chat session, he actually typed, "Okay, so I will upgrade you package now". And my issue, for which they had me replace my router, was actually an intermittent outage issue in my area which he was unaware of!!! I ended up saving at least 70 dollars a month and they lost out because they would not waive a service fee, not that they care.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.
June 12, 2019, 07:55 AM
RHINOWSO
Oh yeah, BTDT brother.

We had ATT/Dish for a couple of years.

Took about an hour of them tap dancing, telling me how cheap it would be if we signed on again for another year, how low they could go (after raising rates over the holidays).

"Why would I pay any amount of money for something I NEVER USE".

So glad they are gone. Pay $60/mo for 100GB cable internet, does everything we want / need.
June 12, 2019, 08:20 AM
SpinZone
After my dad passed away my mother repeatedly try to cancel her hughesnet service. They refused claiming that only Ernest could make any changes to the account. She went round and round with them, death certificates and everything with no luck, they would not cancel the service unless Ernest requested it.

So she canceled the credit card that the account was linked to. When they called and demanded a new credit card number she told them they needed to talk to Ernest. I can only assume that my dad's credit score took a hit from it. Cool

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

June 12, 2019, 08:41 AM
Sailor1911
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
After my dad passed away my mother repeatedly try to cancel her hughesnet service. They refused claiming that only Ernest could make any changes to the account. She went round and round with them, death certificates and everything with no luck, they would not cancel the service unless Ernest requested it.

So she canceled the credit card that the account was linked to. When they called and demanded a new credit card number she told them they needed to talk to Ernest. I can only assume that my dad's credit score took a hit from it. Cool

"Talk to Ernest", Beauty!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
June 12, 2019, 10:45 AM
h2oys
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

That made me laugh out loud.
June 12, 2019, 11:15 AM
Georgeair
Go ahead and call Sirius/XM to finish the blood boil.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

June 12, 2019, 12:17 PM
Fredward
I put services on a credit card. When I want to cancel, I tell them ONCE I am cancelling, then call the credit card company and cancel billing.
June 12, 2019, 01:10 PM
Kevmo
When I canceled DTV several months ago I knew that was how it would go so I started the conversation with "I am moving into corporate housing due to work related travel" which gabe them no room to argue with me
June 12, 2019, 01:32 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
When I canceled DTV several months ago I knew that was how it would go so I started the conversation with "I am moving into corporate housing due to work related travel" which gabe them no room to argue with me

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I thought you might want to keep DTV during the time they are cleaning your residence to keep housekeeping happy. I did not make this up.
June 12, 2019, 01:45 PM
DSgrouse
I did that when we moved to va 6 years ago. I did tell him that we were moving internationally, His solution was to suspend our account so we could reactivate it without paying any fees when we return.

I told him to cancel our account, and to get me everything i need to ship the equipment back.

in 50 min, he tried every bullshit tactic, insults about how i am not being truthful, guilt trips what will your kids watch, discounts (this tells me they are over charging me now), that it will cost me more to reactivate in the future. Think of a wheedly snot and whiney ass bitch excuse and he tried to push it.
June 12, 2019, 02:56 PM
Chowser
same issues with cable, phone etc. like previously mentioned, try canceling sirius/xm.
Total pita.

Not minority enough!
June 12, 2019, 04:37 PM
1967Goat
AT&T (DirecTV)is losing approximately 250,000 subscribers per quarter. They are hemorrhaging. I canceled our service a few months ago and went to Roku with Hulu. Saved about a hundred bucks per month.

When I called to cancel I told them its none of their business why I am cancelling. I guess I got lucky because I only had to tell the nice woman 3 times. I explained to her that I told her 3 times and would not be answering her question again. I kind of feel sorry for the folks on the phone. You know they probably get punished for not retaining enough customers.
June 12, 2019, 04:43 PM
2BobTanner
You are permanently moving overseas to Sri Lanka (that outta piss-off the customer service folks in India). Big Grin

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
June 12, 2019, 05:47 PM
egregore
quote:
you need to tell us why

quote:
Wife and I just don't use it. I listen to audio books, she is busy with her stuff. It rarely gets turned on. We just don't like to sit and watch anymore. It is easier to have netflix/prime/youtube up on one cpu screen and work other.

I wonder how things might have gone if you had just told them that.
June 12, 2019, 05:59 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
you need to tell us why

quote:

We never watch TV anymore is my stock response, but it still took all of any hour. Like getting passed around to 5 used car salesmen.
June 12, 2019, 06:18 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

"you need to tell me why"
After telling them once, politely, to cancel service, my next response would be "Just cancel the fucking thing, and no, I don't have to tell you shit."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 12, 2019, 06:31 PM
ZSMICHAEL
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well bless your heart!
June 12, 2019, 08:06 PM
NK402
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Go ahead and call Sirius/XM to finish the blood boil.

Now you're talking about some professional crooks! First rule of thumb is never give them a credit card unless it's a card you're planning on cancelling soon.
June 12, 2019, 08:42 PM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
you need to tell us why

quote:

Let us suspend your account so you can come ba k with out fees.