SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Who has Cluster projects at work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has Cluster projects at work? Login/Join 
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted
Just going to ask the basic question: Am I the only one that gets the projects where:

• I'm the last to know anything.
  • I have to instruct every step of your project
  • I do not want this to be your training project.
  • Do not make it more of a cluster than it all ready is.
  • Please use the right tools.

We have a project to extend some Single Mode Fiber (SMF) from one room to another, 20' at the most.

I guess the project spec said to have 20' of extra loop at both ends, so we end up with 40' extra to go 20'. Last I checked you pay by the foot for this.

The Techs doing the job know that there is more equipment that needs to go on the panel, but occupy all of the space with the Fiber distribution and 20' loop. I ask the question "Where do you think we should put the other equipment that is going on the panel?" I get the "It's above my pay grade." crap from one of the techs. After some discussion, we resolve problem #1 buy putting the loop inside the fiber termination box, what a concept since this box has 9000 Cubic inches of space.

Ok, weather sucks in SE Wisconsin this morning but why did you have to wait until after lunch to start to splice these fibers? And appears the last person to use your tool had problems because the machine is throwing errors when you splice? You would think that after a few errors you would check your tools. Well I guess the cleave tool was not working right, and after getting another one brought to you you are on your way. And now at 4:00 you start to show the other tech how the process is done? Step by Step...I'm glad that this was a spec bid and I hope we are not paying an hourly rate.

I'm not sure why we did not use some pre-terminated fiber runs and this job could have been done in 2 hours. But instead we have to have 2 hourly techs stare at each other scratching their head on how to troubleshoot their tool.

On top of this they sent the carrier away since they did not get their work done today. So, I may have to do this all over tomorrow with another cluster tech.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Let me know your cluster story...

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 1882 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

No specific story, but your bullet points pretty much describe what I retired from. This video has been around for a while, but the poor IT guy has a cluster on his hands.

The Expert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Posts: 6149 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Buddy, I got a 600 ton hydraulic press that needs 597kw of service power and 2' of concrete for its pad coming in March and we haven't even decided where to put it yet.

Btw, no matter where we put it, multiple large scale lateral moves need to occur. Currently there is 220' of tooling racks with probably 400t and several millions of dollars in tools sitting on it.

Yeah, I know a thing or two about clusters.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17685 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
What is the cure time for a 2' pad of concrete?

Good luck on the project.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 1882 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
You can get stuff that sets in a week if you pay enough!

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17685 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
Picture of chongosuerte
posted Hide Post
"Here, update all of your Taser batteries to these fancy ones that turn on your body worn cameras when you flip the safety. Oh, and replace all the prior generation cartridges and current generation but expired cartridges with these. Super duper high priority. Cherio"

"Mmmkay...but I've got 91 tasers in my division and you just gave me enough batteries for 87 of them, and enough cartridges for 25 of them."

"Hmmmm...well then. Best of luck. High importance, you understand."

Answering radio calls is the least stressful part of my job. Putting up with internal confusion and bureaucratic bullcrap is much more aggravating.

-------------------------------

You forgot:
RIUTINMAYFGIB road is unpaved there is no map and your fuel gauge is busted
-Georgeair

Posts: 8784 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Cluster Project...

There's another kind?

Posts: 8872 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post