SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Car Manufacturers lack of service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Manufacturers lack of service Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
Right now I am dealing with not one, but two different car manufacturers that are not providing a basic level of service on their vehicles still in warrantee. The first is a Ford F-150 that has a clunking noise in the steering system that they can't reproduce (because the roads around the dealership are shitty) and can't fix (because they won't do 2 minutes of searching on the internet). Actually, I think they could fix it, they just haven't gone through enough hoops with corporate yet to get re-imbursed, and Ford doesn't want to acknowledge they have a problem.

The second is BMW. My car is one of those that is subject to the Tanaka airbag recall. Remember that from over a YEAR ago? Yeah, mine still isn't fixed. And it won't be for at least a month, maybe as long as the week between Christmas and New Years, when they think they will get the part. But I'm not supposed to worry, because they haven't had any of the problems with those airbags in BMWs. Oh, and the failure mode of the airbag is that it shoots out metal shards into the face of the person as it deploys. Kind of like a shotgun. Now I'm waiting for someone to call me back with which fuse to pull to deactivate the airbag, even though "it might not be as safe to not have it active in an accident". Isn't the airbag back up to the seat belts?

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can usually get a good deal on any type of vehicle you want.
But almost no one can repair it.
Tis the way of things now....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure the clanking noise is in the steering, but more likely in the front suspension. Have had what sounds like the same issue a few years ago on my car. Most Ford dealerships would recognize the problem in a split second.
Cannot remember exactly what it was, but my sons SUV had the same issue, maybe he would remember.
Mine was done under warranty.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a weird clunking in the front end of an old truck once and it was worn out front sway bar endlinks. Cheap repair and easy to DIY, but it took me a while to figure out that's what the hell it was.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
My car is one of those that is subject to the Tanaka airbag recall. Remember that from over a YEAR ago? Yeah, mine still isn't fixed. And it won't be for at least a month, maybe as long as the week between Christmas and New Years, when they think they will get the part.

I went through the same thing with my Honda. Took two years before mine was replaced.

Was told "you're on the list; we should have your part in a month or two" numerous times.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Not a problem with the car (2012 Hyundai, elantra) but a problem with the dealership.

Was told repeatedly when buying the car that it came with a 10 year, 100K mile warranty. Just turned over 52K miles when the antilock brake warning came on. Took it in. They told me it would cost me $75 to diagnose.

When I told them about the warranty, the arrogant witch smiled and said it only came with a 5 year/100K warranty.

We dug into the paperwork, and she was right. Not a problem with the car, with the stealership.

Would I buy another Hyundai? Yes, it is a great little car. From that stealership? Nope!!!!!!

Not to mention that the wheel speed sensor cost $140 bucks at Track Auto (which was about half what the stealership wanted. My grandson replaced in about 10 minutes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrysler Maxxcare warranty is amazing if anybody is ever looking for an extended warranty for their car. I bought one for my Lexus when I bought it used from a Chrysler dealer and it covers EVERYTHING with $100 deductible. Luckily I haven't had any major issues but my seat squeaked a little (I was just going to use some WD40 on it but hadn't gotten around to it) and the buttons on my navigation were bubbling like the coating on the buttons was peeling.. when I took it to Lexus they replaced the navigation assembly and they replaced the motor and tracks on my driver seat. I've had many extended warranties that didn't cover ANYTHING and I will very impressed with this one

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
You can usually get a good deal on any type of vehicle you want.
But almost no one can repair it.
Tis the way of things now....

And it's no accident I'm sure.

I think most companies have designed cars to be intentionally hard to work on while at the same time increasing repair costs to the point that most people just buy a new car (with credit of course!) instead of fixing the old one.

Personally I'll never own a new car again and I hope to never have a car payment again. I own three vehicles and do my own work on them with the help of the shop manual and YouTube.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I'll never own a new car again and I hope to never have a car payment again. I own three vehicles and do my own work on them with the help of the shop manual and YouTube.

Sales games, depreciation and repair practices at dealers convinced me to never own a new car. That's also made it so I usually purchase vehicles privately instead of with dealers. More leg work, but much less stress. Dealers only touch my cars for recall work. Some work I do myself, other I refer to a local shop that does honest work.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

...I usually purchase vehicles privately instead of with dealers. More leg work, but much less stress.

Yup. I just bought a 1999 Isuzu Trooper for $3200 cash. It had less than 76,000 miles on it and I bought it from the original owner. It was a steal that took almost a year of keeping my eyes open in order to find, but the time it took was totally worth it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Some work I do myself, other I refer to a local shop that does honest work.
I seem to recall that there is a left-handed brake expert in your household. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you tell BMW dealer first verbally, then in writing, that you are unable to work without a car an unsafe driving this one, and need a loaner, they will move you up the list. Or in many cases, get you a loaner, but the stipulation is the car awaiting repairs can't have miles added to it at the same time.

If that doesn't work, try same tact from a lawyer.

The class action suit you should have gotten notice of will also allow you to claim out of pocket expenses.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post