SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I HATE our mattress
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I HATE our mattress Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bought a new $3k California king mattress about 2 years ago from Furniture Row with %0 interest. I like a firm mattress and the wife likes a soft mattress so of course we get a soft mattress. Well the wife is about to be an exwife but she was nice enough to let me "keep" this shitty soft mattress and the bill.

Im tempted to just give this damn thing away and sleep on the couch until I can buy another one without financing it.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I love my mattress. In fact, I really don't want to get up this morning, I love it so much.

Sleep Innovations "Shiloh" from Amazon. Around $400 for queen size.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The three mattress lines that Saatva makes are awesome. We have the Latex "Zenhaven". Best mattress we've ever had.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pleased with our Saatva Loom & Leaf.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Went memory foam on the last mattress and I'm never going back to anything else. I wanted a Tempurpedic but couldn't justify the $3000. I found a mattress on Amazon that said it was comparable to the TP, got great reviews and was $600. I sleep like a baby!

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Just bought a 10" core latex, with wool and foam around it. Range report to follow. Will be on it in just 2 more days ... can't wait!

Also got the bluetooth remote, adjustable, wallhugger and shaker-mode frame. Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I hate my mattress too. Wifey and I need to get a quality mattress from a reputable maker. This is the last damn time I buy a mattress made by a company the specializes in masonry products... (jk).

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Interesting conversations. We are considering a new mattress as ours is pushing 10 years old.

Sleep number owners either love em or hate em. Too expensive for me.

In a similar thread a few months ago and this one, the consensus is the Saatva. We may pull the trigger.

Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Interesting conversations. We are considering a new mattress as ours is pushing 10 years old.

Sleep number owners either love em or hate em. Too expensive for me.

In a similar thread a few months ago and this one, the concession is the Saatva. We may pull the trigger.

Mike

Yep, I got taken in by the Saatva hype. Not disappointed at all. Love it.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite a necro-post but...it's time for a new mattress.

I went in to a store to browse around and the salesman asked what I had, I didn't know. All I could tell him I've had it almost 20-years...his jaw just about unhinged and fell to the ground. Ok, I get it, that's why I'm shopping for a new one.

Tell me this, what's with the crazy with foam mattresses...don't you overheat?

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I HATE our mattress

:
Wink

thats funny , I kinda like it
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I love and hate our Sleepnumber. Had we just bought the bed, I'd love it. But I paid almost twice as much for the adjustable snore stopper frame option. The adjustable frame doesn't stop snoring like we had hoped, so it's a super comfortable bed...until I get the same kick I got with our $500 mattress.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We spent around $2000 for an original Mattress Euro pillowtop King. Third night after, I couldn't take it anymore and bought a 3 inch memory foam topper with cooling gel for three hundred and something. It was awesome. I slept like a dream.

Fast forward a few months, my wife tells me that she has been having a problem sleeping and ask to take the mattress pad off. We take it off, a week later my back is hurting like hell. So, to insure domestic tranquility, we roll out the 3-inch Topper Again and I take a knife and cut the damn thing in half.

Looks goofy as hell, but it's working lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We gave my daughter and SIL our old sleep number bed (cost over 4K back in the day), and they used it one night before tossing the top. Kept the box spring from it, ordered a mail-order memory foam gel top thing from Amazon, and had it shipped to them overnight. Gotta love some Amazon Prime.... Anyhow, helped unroll it (around 2" thick, max) and within 24 hours it'd fluffed up to around 12" or so. Must be yeast in that thing.

Anyhow, they've had it around a week now and are swearing that they get a great night sleep and don't get overheated. Think they spent around $300 for it, so if it keeps doing well, it's going on the want list for us.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I tell everyone who asks me that I HATED my Sleep Number bed, and why. Even my dogs hated it. Why? Main thing was I couldn't get it set where I wanted it. It was a little too hard, or too soft. The compressor had a nasty habit of kicking on for about 2 seconds when I was really sleeping great. The dogs hated it for the same reason I did. When that LOUD compressor came on, they bailed out, sometimes kicking me in the face. I just swore at it, and pretty soon, I started sleeping in a chair, planning on just buying a new mattress and dumping the whole Sleep Number BS. I got hurt and slept on a chair for a while, and realized my neck didn't bug me like it did when I slept in a bed, so I've stayed in a chair since. If I could go back in time to when I bought the Sleep Number bed, I would have done what I planned to, buy another water bed to replace the one I had owned for almost 20 years that had just had a giant leak. I would have saved myself some money, and a lot of annoyance, if I had not fallen for the Sleep Number BS.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
my wife tells me that she has been having a problem sleeping and ask to take the mattress pad off. We take it off, a week later my back is hurting like hell. So, to insure domestic tranquility, we roll out the 3-inch Topper Again and I take a knife and cut the damn thing in half.
Sort of, but not exactly like our situation. For years (38th anniversary just went by) we had a king size bed. One of us, at most, was happy with the degree of firmness of the mattress.

This last time, we sipped at The Original Mattress Factory. They suggested two mattresses on one box spring. I picked a firm one. SWMBO went firmer; her choice feels to me like a slab of concrete. They made them to order in the local factory, I picked them up a few days later, everybody is happy now, even though as an earlier poster said, I feel like an 80 year old man when I get up in the morning. That might be because I really am an 80 year old man. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mattresses are such a personal thing. I hope you find the one that fits you. For us, after five mattress stores and about a month back and forth, we decided on the Serta iComfort Savant III Plush. Great bed and I wake up refreshed and painless. We were prepared to pay TempurPedic prices but didn't need to--we just didn't like the TempurPedics as much.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by simmy952:
We love our sleep number bed. Adjustable firmness (I like soft, she likes very firm). Also has adjustable heat on both sides. She likes smoking hot on her side and I like just enough to take the chill out of the sheets. Sure it cost a few extra bucks but what is a good nights sleep worth. Also goes the same for a good pillow. Used to buy the cheapest ones until I bought a nice memory foam. What a difference. Wife has a bamboo one. Like stated, what is a good nights sleep worth to you?

We loved our sleep number until about 6 years into the 20 year warranty the foam is shot and they want $625 to replace the foam under warranty.
We just got a Sealy traditional super soft pillowtop mattress has some gel foam in it too for cooling. Cost half of what the sleep number did. To me it is a bit soft, kind of like sleeping in a bowl of pudding, my wife loves it. I prefer a little more firm but is is worlds better than the beat down sleep number. Our 3 year old now has the sleep number and since he got it he sleeps all the way through most nights now which he rarely ever did before.

Yup, same with us. We replaced it once, and the foam they sent us was shit. I complained, and they discounted the foam by 30%. We just dumped ours, and went back to a traditional interspring and I am sleeping 55 minutes more a night.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post