SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My super power: invisibility...at ATT store
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My super power: invisibility...at ATT store Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
So I'm in the market for a new phone. Have been an ATT customer for years and was going to get something in the midrange while downgrading my service plan. Figured the monthly bill might be less even if adding in a payment for the phone.

Well, going to the ATT store a couple days ago got me "Hi, we'll be with you as soon as we can." and then never looked at again until I decided to leave which took about half an hour.

Next day I made an appointment online at the same store, thinking that was my mistake the previous day. Not only nope, but not even greeted. After twenty minutes of wandering around (near all three desks of employees helping other people) I decided to call the store.

So, there I am in their lobby while the phone rings from me calling and nothing...no one even fucking flinched. I let it ring until the automated message came on saying they were all busy and then I left again.

Yeah I could have thrown a tantrum, but really what would it have gotten me? I certainly am not going to be a customer anymore in the very near future anyway, so it isn't like they could change my mind if I tried to shame them into it.

Shouting "lookit me dammit!" just sorta smacks of the idiots that are ruining the country right now, so I just left instead.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a company store, or a contract store?

Go to another location (company store). Take care of the transaction, THEN ask for the regional manager's contact information. If they ask, say it is due to another location's ineptness.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know, all this recent "Karen" shit aside, this is the kind of situation where asking to speak to the manager is the appropriate and correct course of action. Calmly telling a manager you've wasted an hour waiting in their store over the course of two visits and would like some service is reasonable. Throwing a tantrum is not. There is a middle ground to be found between being a doormat and losing your shit.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
VERIZON isn't much better. We couldn't get assistance about a new phone. A little kid, maybe 10 years old, was standing there looking at phones so I asked him jokingly if he worked there, expecting him to run to Mom. The kid told us everything about the merits of the phone and demonstrated it for us.

When Mom came over to see why we were talking to her son, we told her how helpful he was.

Then we bought the phone through the state contract online.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
My current plan is to go back in when I have my new phone with a service contract from another company and tell everyone in the store what great service I got elsewhere.

Maybe I'll make an appointment for that too.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I do everything online, buy phone, buy plan, phone gets shipped to my house, activate it with easy instructions online. So far no problems

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Could be worse, I stopped by an ATT corporate store to get a memory card for my ATT phone. Had to wait in line as ditsy college kids couldn't decide on their iPhone colors.

I came back later with the memory card I bought from the Verizon store across the road. Verizon also had a better selection of accessories too.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience last year. I was trying to buy a new phone and plan and was ignored. I went to Verizon and they were helpful and signed me up. I saved $30 per month on top going to Verizon.

Posts: 34 | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the ATT store to buy a new phone but they were doing curbside delivery only. Was told I had to go online and buy the phone then come by the store and pick it up. I went online in the parking lot and tried to order the phone but kept getting an error. I called customer service and the lady on the phone said the sales department was closed that I would have to buy it in the store. So I put her on speaker and let her and the guy on the curb argue about who was gonna sell me a phone. In all I spent about three hours trying to get somebody to take $1400 from me.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I've had more success dealing with an AT&T Rep over the phone. Talked to one today that was sweet as pie. Looking to lower my bill, but she told me I already have their cheapest plan. However, she told me to enroll in AutoPay online and it would lower my bill $10 a month. Sign me up! Her name was Vision. Honestly. I didn't have the nerve to ask if she's a pole dancer on the weekends...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I text my wife to see what she's up to...and she says she's in Hell....I know she's at the AT&T store. It's become a running joke. It takes sooo long to get anything done. And on more than one occasion the "great deal" they offered, costs us more in the long run.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
About 2 years ago, I went to a local AT&T store. I arrived 55 minutes before closing but the doors were locked. I double-checked the hours posted on the door too. There were at least 3 workers inside who acted like they didn't see me. I gave them a bad Google review and called the manager the next day, but since then, I've done everything online. I was surprised how easy it was to transfer contacts and other data to a new phone when we upgraded my wife's phone recently. The phone that we ordered online arrived in 2 days.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I found that calling ATT usually works. Get your new phone next day and change plan too.

YMMV

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was treated the same way, so I went home and ordered the phone I wanted online for quite a bit less (compared prices for the same model.) I won't be going back to a storefront. Probably doesn't matter, I only change phones every 5 years or so.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Just curious Appentice, how old are you. I am a senior citizen and I have found that I grow more invisible each year.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Is it a company store, or a contract store?

Go to another location (company store). Take care of the transaction, THEN ask for the regional manager's contact information. If they ask, say it is due to another location's ineptness.

^^^ This is what I'd likely do.

The AT&T store in our small town is not a corporate store, really lacks in customer service and overall knowledge based on the 2 times we stopped in. However, there's a corporate store about 15 miles from here, the customer service is top notch and has been for the last 5 years.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
AT&T can go pound sand. Was a loyal customer for 35+. in 2016 a major flood event destroyed our home and was charged $80 to put our account on vacation for 1yr and then they wanted another $80 to keep number active till home repaired. Decieded to go phone over the cable/tv/internet for home phone which took a solid 3 weeks before they would release my number that we had had for 35+rs. And they kept calling trying to get us to return untill I told them to pound sand and would be contaction a attorney if the continued to call. 1 1/2yrs ago one afternoon came home from some errand to find a 3ft deep trench across front yard dug by AT&T for fiber optic cable with out my knowledg or consent. Will admit i went Karen and stayed after them till yard was repaired. Since then have had several AT&T salesmen on several occasions ring door bell and they are promptly told they are tresspassing and to leave immedately. Have no absolutely use for AT&T . Just ask me how I really feel about AT&T. .................................................drillsgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Just curious Appentice, how old are you. I am a senior citizen and I have found that I grow more invisible each year.

I was a couple months old when Armstrong set foot on the moon. You may be on to something. Could be they fear our fancy vocabularies and old timey ways. Fuckin' whippersnappers *shakes fist in the air*

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I was in my 3d day of Basic Training on that historic day.

quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

I was a couple months old when Armstrong set foot on the moon. You may be on to something. Could be they fear our fancy vocabularies and old timey ways. Fuckin' whippersnappers *shakes fist in the air*

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Service used to be on the level of a car dealership. They were all about sales and would not leave you alone. Guess that has changed. Commissions must have been cut.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post