SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who can't get to the point.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who can't get to the point. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I consider myself lucky although some people would say unlucky that I don't talk to many people outside of work. I have to at work and it's short/to the point. I don't have time to hear someone ramble on.
I've been called intimidating, rude and other things in social settings unless I know you very well. No patience for stupidity, drama or other crap.
I get what I need done and leave out all the rest.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like verbal short hand, do it all the time.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I also use the term "diarrhea of the mouth"...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A story according to Tad (who I saw at the grocery store , after work):
I thought I was going to get off work early.........

So I am on my way home and thought I better get some bacon............

the gas station was right on the way , so,..........

Iam glad I got gas , because the grandsons kick ball game is tomorrow.........

They played well last week the score was...........

I won't be going to next weeks game , as I have to work............

I working because steve is having a party........

I got to the store and they ended up not having the salad's I like...........

I got the bacon and was standing at the check out.......

I go to the same gal , most of the time , she's pretty cute......

and who is checking out at the adjacent check out , Fred Barchock........

so we talk for 6 minutes and shared a laugh .....

time lapse 15 minutes

Me: who the hell is Fred Barchock ? Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I simply say, “Get to the point, please.”

If I don’t want to be polite, “Give me the Cliff notes” or “What happened? I don’t give a fuck about all these other people I don’t know who have nothing to do with story.”

It’s easy to say it’s a male/female thing but we have a lot of verbose posters right here on the forum Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

"Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."
--
Abe Simpson

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I will often interrupt with “fast-forward” and move my index finger in circles, as if I’m moving the reel faster than normal. “Cut to the chase” is used nearly as often.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I tend towards the verbose , but I try to control it.
But
I also have a genetic propensity to want to yank people’s chains sometimes. My dad was a Master at it.
So, every now and then, I’ll get one of you “Just the Facts Ma’am” types and see just how long I can string you along.
I think scam callers and telemarketers are fun also. Big Grin

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In business, people often expect a little chit-chat before they get to the point. I don't like it but it's real.

I usually cut rambling people short by saying "and" as a long, drawn out word - aaaaannnndddd??

You really have to be able to read the situation to avoid being a jerk. Some people just need a hand to get to the point. No need to be mean - I don't believe in it.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
People who can’t get to the point: Pretty much every woman I’ve ever met. Men that are like that, well, they just like hearing themselves talk or feel the need to be the center of attention.

Women have a minimum number of words they must speak everyday. If they don’t, they’ll die.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all must be married to the same woman - my wife! She will go on and on for minutes without taking a breath through numerous iterations of rationalization. The worst part is when she finally stops to take a breath, her next statement is "well, to make a long story short.." Each time I have to bite my tongue and keep from saying "It's too bleepin' late!"

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
...it's a person just shitting words out their mouths.

Ok I think I see part of the problem here.
I think you can reduce the amount of talk by at least half if you just avoid talking to people who have more than one mouth.
Big Grin

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
In business [...]

No need to be mean - I don't believe in it.

V.

I'm extremely patient and polite in person. In a business setting, I've spent hours with a customer to close a sale, listening to their stories that I really don't care about, but I'll listen to because that's the correct thing to do in that setting.

I'm not mean to my wife. But listening to long rambling starts to annoy and stress me out, and she accepts that when I've hit my limit, I can very blunt and abrupt about wanting to end the interaction. She doesn't get her nose bent out of joint about it, thankfully.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am fascinated by the conversation format. To maintain some sense of congeniality, I choose to think of it as the only way for a person to get to the point. It reminds me of a hansel and gretel trail of breadcrumbs, or the line a cave diver uses to return to the insertion point. I think some people cannot get to the point, without traveling through the journey again.

A pastor once opined years ago that one gender expended 50,000 words a day, and the other gender spoke only 25,000 words a day. In the work day, both genders employed 25,000 words. So, after work, one spouse couldn't speak, and the other was just halfway through their ammo for the day.

Another pastor suggested that the reason for the entire monologue is that the person desperately wants the partner to experience the many hours of activity when they were apart, and recounts it to bring the spouse a sense of unity.

At work, it is uncanny that 3:30 pm is when most spouses call their husbands. It is as if they cannot go another minute being apart, and they often launch into a monologue that has to be cut off by the husband as he is in a conversation of his own.

Most annoying to me, perhaps most confusing, is when the mental journey most people don't like hearing is not recounted, until the punch line. The last line of the story is given aloud, which has no context, no relevance, no sense of purpose. Out of the blue, "so I think we need to..." or similar. It's as if the journey is replayed inside the brain, silently, and then the most important point is stated for the spouse.

It is very hard to converse with a person like that.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think talking is one of the ways that people goof off at work (probably at home, too).

What is it up to now; two hours of talking for five minutes of work?

Congress' version of this is having "hearings".

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I think this is a prevalent problem/issue/complusion. Some people have to hear themselves talking or are just very self centered.

Watch some YouTube videos. Many times simply skipping ahead 1-3 minutes will get you to the meat of the video. It just takes the youtuber that long to warm up.

Other times a 20 minute video can/should be condensed down to 4-5 minutes.

I marvel at the people who don't speak at all during their videos.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Watch some YouTube videos. Many times simply skipping ahead 1-3 minutes will get you to the meat of the video. It just takes the youtuber that long to warm up.

The thing is, YouTube actually encourages that from their video creators. Longer videos mean more ad breaks can be inserted. Which means more ad revenue for YouTube, and a correspondingly bigger check that they cut to the video creator.

So there's an underlying financial motive behind these overly long, rambling YouTube videos. The video creators know they could cover the content in a minute or two, but they fluff it out to many times that for the extra money.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

The thing is, YouTube actually encourages that from their video creators. Longer videos mean more ad breaks can be inserted. Which means more ad revenue for YouTube, and a correspondingly bigger check that they cut to the video creator.

So there's an underlying financial motive behind these overly long, rambling YouTube videos. The video creators know they could cover the content in a minute or two, but they fluff it out to many times that for the extra money.

I had not considered that Rogue. I agree that could be a factor.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one of my dear cousins. You haven’t seen her in a year and she’ll start a story about going to Florida and go on so many tangents that 20 minutes later she ends up describing in great detail the wallpaper pattern in someone’s bathroom in Tennessee I have never met.
A transcription of the conversation would be the central story in ‘What The Fuck?’ magazine.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Life Experience 101, men and women communicate differently. People tend to notice these things along the way and accept the differences, some don't and get irritated. It's why at family gatherings men are in front of the TV and women are where ever clucking about purses, babies, their hooha's and other women not in the room.

Now I do work with a guy who I never accept meetings with if they are scheduled for after 2:00 PM. The guy cannot stay on point, he pontificates endlessly and takes for ever to wrap up a meeting. His PowerPoint slides are the same way.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post