SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Right on Red
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right on Red Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Sunday I was behind someone who sat there and didn't go even though there was a right turn green arrow!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I had a guy go ballistic on me for not turning on red a few years ago. To the point I thought we were about to get out of our vehicles.

There were people at the crosswalk and I'd have to pull across it to see traffic. Turns out I got green before they got a walk signal, but I had no idea of the timing.

The nut behind me went about 1/4 mile before turning into a subdivision.

This infuriates me. If I have a red OR green it's illegal and in my humble opinion wrong to run over the people in the crosswalk. The other day the light was green but the "WALK" sign was also lit. I stopped in the right turn lane to allow a mother and son to cross. You should have heard the honks. I for whatever reason was in a good mood and didn't cuss or honk back at the idiots, which is a good thing, it would be as effective as talking to a wall.

If you're behind me stay calm because I will let pedestrians go, especially if they have the right of way.

Yes, that is the law. The people honking at you are the assholes here for sure. Even if it's my right of way in this situation, I am cautious of pedestrians, who are usually no more self-aware than the idiots in cars.

Mercifully they've been putting in pedestrian/bike underpasses around the CSU campus, so it will be less of a problem in the future.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I had a guy go ballistic on me for not turning on red a few years ago. To the point I thought we were about to get out of our vehicles.

There were people at the crosswalk and I'd have to pull across it to see traffic. Turns out I got green before they got a walk signal, but I had no idea of the timing.

The nut behind me went about 1/4 mile before turning into a subdivision.

This infuriates me. If I have a red OR green it's illegal and in my humble opinion wrong to run over the people in the crosswalk. The other day the light was green but the "WALK" sign was also lit. I stopped in the right turn lane to allow a mother and son to cross. You should have heard the honks. I for whatever reason was in a good mood and didn't cuss or honk back at the idiots, which is a good thing, it would be as effective as talking to a wall.

If you're behind me stay calm because I will let pedestrians go, especially if they have the right of way.

Yes, that is the law. The people honking at you are the assholes here for sure. Even if it's my right of way in this situation, I am cautious of pedestrians, who are usually no more self-aware than the idiots in cars.

Mercifully they've been putting in pedestrian/bike underpasses around the CSU campus, so it will be less of a problem in the future.

Yep.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to watch out for the right-turn-on-red around here. They will come out of the side streets like you aren't even there with some of them on cellphones and not stopped before making the turn.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
There should be no confusion over the right turn law because it is the same both in the U.S and Canada. While reading all the posts I could not help but wander how many of the cars that was behind the first one would just make the turn without stopping because they were in a hurry. I bet most of them would not stop at all even though the law says you are required to. I see many cars just fly around the corner once the lead car goes without stopping for the red light.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I guess we all missed the law change that made red lights and stop signs optional. Roll Eyes

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Around here, we have a green arrow that signals you have the right of way (to turn right on red) when crossing traffic is getting the left turn signal. Quite often our more seasoned drivers choose not to make the turn, even when they have the green. I can accept this, given their age and likely visual issues.

Our area is a designed community where the major intersections are generally right at 1 mile apart, with interspersed side roads, etc. Pedestrians, with a few notable exceptions, are virtually never present (no sidewalks, nothing nearby to walk to in most cases). These lights often are on a set program (i.e., they don't change even if you're the only person at the light and hoping to hit the sensor and make them change the light). My real frustration (as stated) was the whole 'sit and text ad nauseum' at the light, watching traffic literally come in from a 1/2 mile off (45mph zone), THEN pull out as if "oh, I can go!" and leaving the remaining 5-6 folks to wait through another cycle of light.

There are lots of things that aren't required by the law, depending on your location, such as driving the speed limit, yielding to a slower lane in city traffic, etc, that are still common courtesy and respectful to other drivers. IMO, this driver was not respectful to anyone else, hence the rant.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In CT it is illegal to make a right turn on red while driving a commercial vehicle. The truck I drive daily is plated with commercial plates. I can not make a right on red even if I had 5 miles of space to make the turn. You should hear the honking I deal with.
By the way my truck is a chevy 2500 that my company plated as a commercial truck.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post