SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Right on Red
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right on Red Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
...does not mean that, regardless of the lack of oncoming traffic, you are legally bound to wait until you and only you have room to make that right turn and THEN go, leaving the rest of us stuck.

If you must finish your text, feel free to pull over into the parking lot of the 15 businesses you just passed as you approached the corner, instead of using the red light as a parking spot to text...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Don't know of anywhere that right on red is required. It may be legal to do but doesn't mean one must.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't always feel comfortable turning right on red. I don't have to, and those behind me ought to STFU with the horn. I'm a curmudgeon and proud of it.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My point is this:

1) I was specifically addressing someone who decided to just sit at a light and not take the turn, finished a text while operating the vehicle, and THEN look up, wait a few seconds longer, and THEN make the turn; however,

2) IF you're that guy who pulls up and sits there like a friggin slackjaw mouthbreather, watching traffic approach from the distance like a coming storm, and then times it out so that you and only you can make the right? Yeah, you're a dick. You can church that up to call it curmudgeon if you like, though. It's a free country.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Didn't notice in any of the previous replies where anyone called anyone derogatory names.

You having a bad day?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's the texting that pushes the issue over the edge for me. No other elaboration is needed. You shouldn't be driving on the road texting.

On the other hand, if he was just simply stopped and couldn't make a right because he was uncomfortable or wasn't sure, I can't blame him. But none of this applies as he was texting.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Further information changes nothing. Head of the pack, their choice. Focus on stuff under your control/influence and live longer.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It also doesn't mean just blow through the red and turn regardless of any oncoming traffic and make me slam on my brakes to avoid plowing in to you.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I had a guy go ballistic on me for not turning on red a few years ago. To the point I thought we were about to get out of our vehicles.

There were people at the crosswalk and I'd have to pull across it to see traffic. Turns out I got green before they got a walk signal, but I had no idea of the timing.

The nut behind me went about 1/4 mile before turning into a subdivision.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
My point is this:

1) I was specifically addressing someone who decided to just sit at a light and not take the turn, finished a text while operating the vehicle,

Ok, I'll buy that. It's the texting that upsets you. Our legislature, which I rarely agree with; just raised the penalty on texting while driving to a $300 fine and 4 points on the offender's license. I can get behind that! I hope it makes a difference.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Right on red is allowed, not mandated.

Get over yourself.

Now, if you ranted about texting, i'd "bro hug, fist bump, high five you" and buy you a beer.

(but the dinner and a movie thing, you'll have to find someone else, homey only swings to the right...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You don't have to turn right on red, even if no one is coming toward you. But you do get the right to listen to my horn, and that of everyone else behind me. You have the right to hold up traffic. I have the right to blow my horn. Simple.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You don't have to turn right on red, even if no one is coming toward you. But you do get the right to listen to my horn, and that of everyone else behind me. You have the right to hold up traffic. I have the right to blow my horn. Simple.

Agreed. Traffic is bad enough around here without people arbitrarily holding everyone else up. If making a clearly safe turn on red makes someone nervous, I question their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle in other, more demanding circumstances.

That said, I will never complain about someone waiting until it is safe to turn before doing so, including waiting for an inbound vehicle with a turn signal on to actually complete the turn instead of assuming they are, in fact, turning, and pulling out in front of them. Seen that go wrong more than once.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
Right on red is not legal for school buses. We get a lot of dirty looks and horns for not turning when driving a bus.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Try having to drive daily through a city with crappy traffic anyway and getting stuck behind the imbecile who refuses to make a legal left on red when the lights aren't going to trip from your turn lane because there's no reason for them to.

Mad

Oh, if you could hear the chorus of horns...

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Those not turning right on red are no different than the jerks driving 25 in a 45 and not letting anyone by.

No, you are not required to turn right on red, but it is expected that you will. To not do so is to be a complete a-hole to those behind you that you are holding up.

Texting or not texting, it is a dick move.

Driving is not just about you (that mentality is all too common nowadays). Pay attention to those around you. If someone clearly wants to get by you quicker than you choose to go...let them. If someone wants to get through an intersection that you are averse to going through...let them.

Few things aggravate me more than people who have no idea what their rear-view mirror is for.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn! A lot of road raging going on in this thread. Razz

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I had a guy go ballistic on me for not turning on red a few years ago. To the point I thought we were about to get out of our vehicles.

There were people at the crosswalk and I'd have to pull across it to see traffic. Turns out I got green before they got a walk signal, but I had no idea of the timing.

The nut behind me went about 1/4 mile before turning into a subdivision.

This infuriates me. If I have a red OR green it's illegal and in my humble opinion wrong to run over the people in the crosswalk. The other day the light was green but the "WALK" sign was also lit. I stopped in the right turn lane to allow a mother and son to cross. You should have heard the honks. I for whatever reason was in a good mood and didn't cuss or honk back at the idiots, which is a good thing, it would be as effective as talking to a wall.

If you're behind me stay calm because I will let pedestrians go, especially if they have the right of way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Try having to drive daily through a city with crappy traffic anyway and getting stuck behind the imbecile who refuses to make a legal left on red when the lights aren't going to trip from your turn lane because there's no reason for them to.

Mad

-Rob

Why would they not trip? Sitting in front of the white line so as to not trip the sensor?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

Mad

-Rob

Why would they not trip? Sitting in front of the white line so as to not trip the sensor?

At this particular intersection, no sensor in the short left turn lane, so if there's no traffic waiting to go straight, you could probably sit there forever.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post