SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dog meets Skunk
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog meets Skunk Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Around 10 last night my wife let the dog out as usual. Every once in a while she goes after small animals (the dog) that have gotten inside the fence. Last night I heard her bark, then growl. I didn't think much about until she came upstairs and into my bedroom and starting rolling around and jumped up to my bed. Wow, smells like burnt rubber and garlic.
I took the dog out on the deck and gave her a bath knowing it probably won't help. Went on to the internet and a YouTube video that of course said something to the affect " I know your first thoughts are to give your dog a bath, but don't". The suggestion was to make a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda, and dish detergent. Lather the dog well and leave on for 5 minutes, then rinse repeat. It worked well but the damage is done. The house stinks, I have the windows and skylights open, ceiling fans on. I lit some scented candles, helps some but the smell is still there.
This afternoon I went to Tractor Supply for some welding supplies. When I got to the checkout I heard a woman behind me remark to her husband that she smelled a skunk. I can hardly smell it but others still can. Going to be a long couple of weeks. It sucks, but I still have to laugh thinking there are a lot of worse things people go thru in life.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had a similar deal with my three Siberians 20+years ago. Let them oout at midnight, before weall sacked out. Windy, cold and wet. They got into a skunk..ALL of them and I had to wash them all , well into he early morning hours.

Look for skunk-OFF.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
At one time our "weenie"dog tangled with a skunk and lost. Tried all kind of remidies even the tomato juice bath. none really worked. Even 3 yrs after the incident you could wet her coat and rub her hard/fast the smell was still there.......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
My dog has been nailed three times this year. Pet smart has a deskunking bath which helps at $60 a pop.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Either I am getting used to the smell or the mixture I used has worked pretty well. Now coming in to the house I can only smell a scented candle.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally my son had the same experience a couple nights ago. He called asking me to guess what he was doing up at 2am on a day off.

They live in NYC and he and his family were getting away for a few days up at my house in northern Westchester. He grew up there but when he let their dog out before bed he forgot about skunks and Miso had never met one before. Shortly after she came racing back quite fragrant. He used he same mix as you but castile soap instead of detergent. Hopefully she’s learned more than my daughter’s dog who was convinced he could kill it before it could get off a shot and lost every time.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
And I'm sure your pup was so proud of herself too. LOL!

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes juice m bath

Posts: 2488 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Either I am getting used to the smell or the mixture I used has worked pretty well. Now coming in to the house I can only smell a scented candle.

Me thinks you used the best cleaning formula (above). What I found is the smell permeated the dogs coat/skin, and the dog sweats more out over a period of a few weeks. It may take an additional bath or two a week to lessen until the smell isn't noticeable.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours tries to play with the black and white cat once a year. The spray is an oily substance that's reacts well with any soap designed to cut through oils. We have never messed around with tomato juice or other wives tale home remedies
The quicker you get them bathed, the better the result.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I think one more bath with the solution I used should end what little smell is left. But I would rather wrestle a bear than to give this dog a bath. I don't know what happened to her before we got her out of a rescue center, but she hates water. We have a small steam out back and she won't go near her.

Living the Dream

Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
You can try Nature's Miracle, which is an enzymatic solution to neutralize the skunk musk. I had to treat me Akita directly at the site of impact after washing her to finish the clean up but it really does help.

https://www.amazon.com/Natures...%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-15

You can also get it at most Pet Stores.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
You can try Nature's Miracle, which is an enzymatic solution to neutralize the skunk musk. I had to treat me Akita directly at the site of impact after washing her to finish the clean up but it really does help.

https://www.amazon.com/Natures...%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-15

You can also get it at most Pet Stores.

Mike

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a bottle since there is a spot on my dogs head that still has an odor. It didn't completely take the smell away, but it is better than before.

Living the Dream

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The spray is an oily substance that's reacts well with any soap designed to cut through oils.

So Dawn would work?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
My presas killed dam near one of everything in Texas. Never got a skunk but it didn't stop em from trying. Probably got hit 30 times over 10 years. That gets old real fast and even now I get real nauseous with skunk smell from those days. For such a smart dog, they gotta be fuckin retarded to keep going at skunks like that. They'd squeal and be in some pain after they got hit, always in the face. Like direct hit.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Dawn would work fine as long as you use the baking soda and peroxide. You need the dawn to break up oil from the spray.

Living the Dream

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
https://zymeaway.com

Best stuff I ever used to kill skunk odor on my dog.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post