SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit Card Fraud. Again.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Fraud. Again. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Some miscreant placed a mail order purchase from EVO for over $300.00 on my credit card.

What is EVO?

If it's a mail order, there should be a name and address for stuff to be shipped to. Seems to me that this would be enough information for LE to nail the mama-jumper.

Fortunately Capital One caught it and declined the transaction, cancelled my card, and is sending a replacement via FedEx.

I would really, really, like to get the name and address where that order was to be shipped.

You are not allowed to shoot them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My Chase CC has been hacked so many times I've lost count. It's almost like death and taxes, if you use a CC, expect to be hacked some time in your life.

Q

Posts: 26346 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karma from someone named Amy.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You must be a gamer. Check this out.

http://evo.shoryuken.com/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration. About 2 weeks ago we had two different credit cards hit on the same day. Both were Mastercards but from different issuing banks.

It seems like it happens to one of our 4 credit cards every year.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of mine was just hit today. $2500 worth of fraudulent transactions attempted at several online stores. All declined, since my bank noticed they were suspicious. Card has been cancelled and a new one sent.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
I was hit today as well. Seems to happen to me about once every 6-8 months in the last few years. Three charges, one to an overseas payment processor and two to a home renovation contractor in Texas, all caught and declined. About $300 total.

Credit card fraudsters should be drawn and quartered.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My card has been compromised a number of times. The latest was two months ago while we were on our way to Michigan for the summer. I saw an almost $500 for Carolina Country Music Festival about the same time we were in Ohio for my niece's high school graduation. Got the charges removed and new cards sent.

Fast forward to yesterday, I get a phone call from, 800-935-9935, apparently a Chase Customer Service number. I listen to the voicema and a computer disguised voice (seriously, digitized voice, but natural sounding otherwise) says it's the Chase Fraud Department, important information about card ending XXXX, please call another phone number and extension. Card ending in XXXX was the most recently canceled one and anytime I have been contacted by Chase Fraud, they have called, emailed and texted me. I called the number on the back of my card and get the standard voice prompt menu. Anytime other time when Chase Fraud has contacted me, my call has bypassed the menu and been transferred directly to the Chase Fraud people. The young woman I finally talk to confirms that my card is fine and Chase did not try to contact me.

Bottom line, always call the number on your card. These people had my name, last 4 digits of the card and my cell phone number. I'm guessing they got my cell phone from an online vendor I've used that was hacked 6 months ago. As convenient as it may be, I no longer set accounts up when making purchases and only checkout as guest.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Bottom line, always call the number on your card.
Maybe not the number on your card. Mine was Capital One. I called the number on the card and heard "Due to unusual call volume ..."

I looked at the Capital One website and they have a separate number that goes directly to the fraud department; this one got me right through. A frustrating conversation with "Peggy" in some third world shithole country, and I announced that this conversation was over; I need to speak to a representative in the continental United States. NOW!

A few minutes on hold, and I was connected to a very helpful supervisor who confirmed the good charges on the card, we rejected the fraud attempt, he promised that a new card would be sent via FedEx ASAP, and best of all, he walked me through the steps on the Capital One iPhone app to activate the new card (which I have not received yet) so that I can start using it immediately for legitimate online purchases and bill payments. I use this card to pay things like my city utility bill, SunPass toll card, auto insurance, etc., so being able to activate it on the spot during the phone call made sure that all of these bills would be paid on time. I expect to have the new physical card in hand within a day or two.

Capital One customer service seems to be OK once you get in contact with an actual American.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
360 bucks charged on mine today. At Armani in Midland MI.
Never been to Midland.
Never been to Armani.
Hacked again!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine today is a little different.They hacked my Hilton account and took my points LOL

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
Apparently, while I was in fact in Israel, I was also in Copenhagen purchasing shoes at a place called Naked -- wife wasn't happy. Not sure if it was because I was soliciting a place called Naked or buying shoes for someone else...and then she realized it was HER credit card number! Smile

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 62 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Capital One seems to have their act together, once you get past "Peggy" and speak to an actual American.

I got in touch with them Tuesday evening. They canceled all fraudulent attempts, verified the charges that I told them were valid, then shut the card down and ordered a replacement with a new account number.

The new card number was made available to me immediately via the iPhone app, so I could use it starting right then for online. The physical replacement card was shipped the following day (Wednesday) via FedEx overnight, and I just received an alert this morning (Thursday) that it has been received at my account at The UPS Store where it will be held securely, waiting for me to pick it up.

All's well that ends well, I guess, but I still would like to see some stiff jail time for the bastages who engage in this sort of theft.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
My Chase CC has been hacked so many times I've lost count. It's almost like death and taxes, if you use a CC, expect to be hacked some time in your life.

What is it with Chase?

I have had an Amex for years and never a problem.

I also have a Chase credit card because we (had) a Chase checking account. Like you, I lost count of how many times that card has been hacked. If it wasn't for the great card benefits I would have dumped it by now.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The bastages just called me again. I may call back and see if Amy is available.

Glad you got yours straightened out V-Tail.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I noticed my Citibank had a charge for $600+ to AirCan. I call AirCan and tell them it is a bogus charge and I will call my card bank, and can you please cancel that air ticket. Very nicely, no can do, but maybe your bank can get it reversed before the ticket is issued.

Bank says no can do, (I hear a call coming in while I am on the phone with Citbank) but went through the process confirming other charges were mine and this one was not, cancel and new card to you in a couple of days.

Hang up, check my message, its the bank's fraud department alerting me to suspicious activity....,fuckers.

Not two weeks prior they declined a payment they thought suspicious to the travel agent I have used for years, plus never called me, yet they let Air Canada go through which I have never charged anything to.

Over all I am glad they do as well as they do but sometimes you have to wonder waht the process is.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they catch a few. This makes me feel a little better.
Link
http://www.nola.com/crime/inde...ncart_river_home_pop

posted Hide Post
Got another one. This time it is cell phones.

http://www.nola.com/northshore...accused_in_cell.html

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Think your post jinxed us, ha. Checked credit card Thursday, and found charges not made by us, still pending auth. Called right away and managed to alert them. Getting a new card in about 2 weeks. What a pain. Wish I could somehow magically find the a holes doing this and make their life hell. At least we caught it fast. One of the charges had already been refused by the company, must have noticed something wasn't right.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Funny about Chase. I got a text fraud alert, then went online and found almost $300 more in bogus charges. Roll Eyes And neither of my phones work. Mad

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post