SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Colonoscopy tomorrow.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colonoscopy tomorrow. Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK.

Did you wake up fast after the procedure? I was impressed with how well mine was timed as I began waking up while being wheeled back to the recovery/farting room.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23223 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Pretty quickly. I received only Proprofol (aka Milk of Amnesia). They do a lot of these here and have the routine down. Even though this was a Friday afternoon and they had several 'add on' cases from the hospital (~350 beds) everything went smoothly.

Another plug for getting your colonoscopies done: Colon CA is very treatable if detected early.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just worried about what I might say to the nurses while recuperating since my wife will be in there with me. Don't want a skillet across my head when I get home.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I may have posted this earlier, but I did NOT receive "Milk of Amnesia" (Har!) this time around.

I got a mild sedative and was fully awake throughout the procedure and damned uncomfortable a couple of times.

Upside, if there is one, is that there was zero recovery time and oddly no flatulence. Not sure why that was.

Couple of benign polyps and an RSVP for 5 years.

Also, a +1 for the Suprep. Still not high on my list of entertainment options, but much less dramatic than whatever they gave me the first time around.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15211 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I had my fourth last Friday.

After using Fleet prep, I was given Suprep this time.

Prep is a lot easier when you begin backing off solids a couple of days beforehand.

I also got milk of Amnesia.

Removed one polyp that turned out to be benign.

PLEASE ask your Doctor if you are a candidate for a colonoscopy.

Colon cancer is very treatable, if caught early.

My BIL died in his mid 40's from colon cancer. He left behind a beautiful family.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my first on Monday. Prep was a bit rough but no worse than when I was 20 and went two days on light beer and Taco Bell. Procedure was a piece of cake - propofol is like taking an awesome nap. No post op nausea.

I read Dave Berry's article before hand - hilarious, but overstated (which is typical of him).

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Prep is a lot easier when you begin backing off solids a couple of days beforehand.

This really does help immensely. My orders have always been a liquid diet the day before (jello, juice, etc), but for the last two procedures I really backed off the day before the day before, reducing to low fiber light meals, like white rice, fish, chicken, saltines. Low fiber foods pass on through because there is little for the colon to process on them.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Dab. Do NOT wipe. Dab!

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
I had no problem with it except for that nasty shit I had to drink..

You were doing it wrong. Eek

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
The prep sheet I have lists OTC stuff only. No script stuff. It sounds like this is the "more painful" way to go. I hate stomach cramps. Im guessing Im in for an entire evening of them huh?

Thanks for the tips on prep the day or two before. Im going to skip the mega burrito. A buddy tells me what ever they give you to sleep should be bottled and sold. He said it was probably one of the best rests hes ever experienced. I asked him if the male nurse who nibbled on his ear afterwards said the same thing... Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Thanks for the tips on prep the day or two before. Im going to skip the mega burrito.

Definitely skip it. When I had a temporary ileostomy, I learned all about "low fiber" diets. They can be enjoyed. Mashed potatoes, ice cream or gelato, eggs plain, fish, chicken, white bread (think Wonder Bread). All not a great long term diet, but if you start low fiber a few days before your procedure, the clean out phase the night before will be ridiculously simple.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The prep sheet I have lists OTC stuff only. No script stuff. It sounds like this is the "more painful" way to go. I hate stomach cramps. Im guessing Im in for an entire evening of them huh?

Drinking lots of water cuts down on stomach cramping. The latest and best tasting prep is Polyetheylene Glycol aka Miralax. It has no taste and the quantity is less than the other preps. Every GI doc has their preference. I think you got the best. Miralax is OTC.
Compared to other medical procedures I have endured colonoscopy is minimal.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The prep is far worse than the probing.
agreed jhe888!! The day before was brutal with no eating! The evening spent on the potty was funny to me. The procedure I was asleep. I go again in 4 yrs. Found 2 nonproblematic polyps.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Don't go before you read this: Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jallen.

I will bring my own CD. Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
A very excellent (and funny) article, Jim.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... great that you've got that done.

I had mine this year after putting off, procrastinating and finally thought fugger it, I'll do it.

The pre-exam preparation wasn't too unpleasant - having braced myself with stories, laughs and the like (that's you JALLEN), in the END all went well and in HINDsight, pretty much anti-climactic.

I had a teeny tiny polyp; won't need another colonoscopy for the next 10 years.

Encourage all - if you are putting off the colonoscopy - don't.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post