SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cleaning dog urine from a rug
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning dog urine from a rug Login/Join 
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted
So, I'm dog sitting my girlfriends chihuameranian this week.

He thought it would be cool to pee in my home office.

It's a super thick, off-white rug. Ill have to get help to move all the furniture if I want to take the rug outside.

There's no visual evidence, but the odor is beyond overwhelming. Almost gag-worthy.

Can I clean the odor away without removing the rug?

It's an area rug, on top of a rug mat, on top of factory finished hardwood flooring, on top of concrete, lol.

I can move just one book case to turn the corner up that he chose.

ETA: I'm off to fix my photoshop avatar...

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Pet stores have enzyme-based cleaners that are specifically formulated to address pet-stains.

Try to get as much of it out with paper towels, then spray on the enzyme cleaner.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle:

http://www.naturesmiracle.com/...nd-odor-remover.aspx

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Damn that sucks the rug pulled the whole room together.

Is the dog's name Woo,

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The chihuameranian abides....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to head straight to Target after work, dudes.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loaded Round:
I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle
Nope, not any more. Nature's Miracle used to be Good Stuff, but they changed the formula and now it's mediocre at best.

How do I know? I'm in that business. I would karma you a bottle of the stuff that we supply to our customers, except for two things: a) the Post Office's list of no-ship stuff includes household cleaning products, and b) it would take a few days to get there even if I could ship it.

Is there an Ace Hardware store near you? They probably rent the Carpet Butler brand of "steam cleaners." The display rack for these will have a product that is probably called "EnzyMatic." That's what you want.

If not, many stores like Publix, Winn-Dixie, etc. rent Rug Doctor cleaning machines. Their display racks will have an equivalent product.

This is basically the same stuff that you can get in boating supply or RV places, used to treat pee-pee and poo-poo in holding tanks in boats and camping vehicles. That stuff will work, too.

Also plumbing supply places will carry a similar product for treating septic tanks.

It's all the same stuff, really. What you're looking for is a key word like "enzyme" on the label.

If you were in the Orlando / Altamonte Springs / Apopka area, I'd tell you to stop by and I'd give you a bottle or two, but you being in Jacksonville you can get it locally.

Deal with it sooner rather than later.

The leftover in the bottle goes in your laundry room, to pre-treat your shirts before washing when you spill gravy, or pizza sauce, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, V-Tail. You actually saved me a bunch of time on top of the reccomendation. Theres an Ace hardware on my way home from work that i wouldnt have otherwise thought to stop at.

They did have a Rug Doctor display and on top were Bissell products, including an enzime pet cleaning solution.

Thanks again everyone.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I believe that Ace has its own store brand of the stuff, as well.

Probably not on the display rack with the rental machines, but they do have an aisle with cleaning products.

Not every store carries all products, but for cost-effectiveness I would buy the Ace brand before Rug Doctor or Bissell.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Well, so far, so good. The solution removed the odor almost immediately. The rug is so thick that I used the entire 22oz bottle on a 1'x2' area, and even then it was just nearing saturation- no where near dripping wet.

I wiped down the hardwood and rug mat, and my wire mesh type waste basket seemed the perfect thing to put underneath the corner of rug to achieve airflow from underneath. Im really lucky he didnt choose a spot underneath the desk.

As long as it dries the same color, Im in good shape.

All that having been said, Ill now continue to drive home on my lunch hour to let him out until she gets back. Smile

posted Hide Post
I think I'd kennel the little pisser to prevent a recurrence. A small kennel's only $20.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Natures Miracle.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Natures Miracle

This. Looks like you solved the problem, but NM works for us, we buy it by the gallon.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
White vinegar seems to work well.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Folex.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loaded Round:
I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle:

http://www.naturesmiracle.com/...nd-odor-remover.aspx

Same here.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
When we moved into our house 35 years ago, my male dog almost immediately found "the spot", and hit it several times without us knowing about it. We soon replaced the carpet, after cleaning the hell out of the floor underneath it. We added a puppy who was a chewing machine, and he soon too found "the spot", along with a second "spot", right on the corner of my mother's bed. We managed to stop the bedroom action, but the one in the living room, well it seemed to be "immortal" as every dog that ever came into the house, gave it a shot. We finally closed off the entire living room to keep the dogs out of it. A friend just bought my house, and he is convinced that the problem won't come back. I'm equally convinced the first male dog who is in that house will still hit it. Good luck!

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
When we moved into our house 35 years ago, my male dog almost immediately found "the spot", and hit it several times without us knowing about it. We soon replaced the carpet, after cleaning the hell out of the floor underneath it.

I had a friend who bought a house that used to host a long-time resident male. We ripped out the old carpet and padding (which were going to go anyways), only to find U-shaped dark stains in the subfloor boards.

Yup, Mr. Pisstopheles' deposits had gone right through the carpet and the padding (which wasn't the thin & cheap stuff).

Our solution was to use sealing primer to paint the subfloor boards in the areas where we found stains, as well as a generous perimeter around the stains.

I guess it worked for him.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once had a hell of a time getting rid of the dog pee smell with new puppy-until I finally found the pumpkin my 3 year old had hidden. Did you know rotting pumpkin smells like dog pee?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have a robot for this

Uses an enzyme based cleaner and suction. Link

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post