SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ok, so tell me if I am out of line here...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, so tell me if I am out of line here... Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
Yes, I know. I'm gonna hear it about facebook, but if you read the following story you will realize that it is not me on facebook, nor do i have any control over it, so just save those comments please.

So, the girlfriend and I are in the end of the process of moving in together. She is moving into my house and we are going to put her house up for rent. That's not really important except for the fact that we are 1. moving in together, and 2. we both had our own houses we owned, and therefor our own collection of "stuff."

So anyway, as a result of this, as two middle aged people who have lived on our own as adults for a while, we have duplicates of almost everything. Bedsheets, pots and pans, dishs, silverware, furniture, beds, TV's, etc etc.

The expensive stuff we have sold.

The smaller stuff we have kept and are overloaded with.

So a friend of hers, actually more like an acquaintance of hers she knows professionally and is friends with on facebook is going back out on her own (much younger than us, about 25) after helping her mom with her divorce/abusive relationship (so she claims). This girl has been eBegging online and soliciting donations for this for weeks.

So, the GF offers her our duplicates. We got together 2 huge 3' by 3' boxes of kitchen things (pots/pans, dishs, measuring cups, pyrex containers, tupperware, utensils, silverware, cookie sheets, literally everything) for this girl and her boyfriend to move into her new place. We were GIVING it to them and asking for no money whatsoever.

No, none of it was new, but it was all in good, useable condition. 18 years ago I'd have been head over heels to get such an offer.

Anyway, we talk to the girl last week and agree that she will meet us on Tuesday at 4pm to have her pick up the boxes of free stuff.

She texts on Tuesday morning at 7am asking if we can meet any earlier. We say that based upon our errands we can only do one hour earlier, at 3pm.

This girl then proceeds to block my girlfriend on facebook, making it so we cannot communicate with her at all. I can still pull her profile up under my account, because she does not know me and we are not "friends" (mostly cause I'm not friends with anyone and think facebook is stupid)

Now, to make a long story short.... I was trying hard to literally GIVE someone a few hundred dollars worth of items for their new place (their first place on their own).

Again, I'm trying to GIVE SOMEONE THINGS and for some reason they blocked us because we didn't do it exactly their way, or exactly according to their timeline.

Now, if that isn't the absolute most Millennial thing there is I don't know WHAT is.

(for the record, we got in touch with another friend who has a daughter getting her own apartment at 18, and gave the items to her)

but damn, who in the hell sits there and eBegs for stuff, but when it comes time to actually get it, blocks the people that give it?

What the hell!!!

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be pissed, but you know what, screw her, give the stuff to someone who deserves it. I'd just drop it off to goodwill or something like that. Or, see if any co-workers or friends that could use it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd be pissed, but you know what, screw her, give the stuff to someone who deserves it. I'd just drop it off to goodwill or something like that. Or, see if any co-workers or friends that could use it.

Oh we did. We found a different friend who has an 18 year old daughter moving out on her own, and we are going to give it all to her.

It will still go to someone who can actually make some use of it. Hopefully she will actually be grateful about it and pay it forward one day.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Well, how about that, you can look a gift horse in the mouth. If (big if) she contacts you tell her she should of thought of that before she blocked your girlfriend on Facebook.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
LOL

Based on watching my sister’s antics on Facebook it would not surprise me if she decided she did not want them and thought it would be ‘easier’ to block your GF instead of just telling her.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Facebook is yet another avenue for bitches to be bitches.

Screw Facebook.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Based on your story, I'd say you helped someone who's likely to be appreciative of the donation.

I know I most surely would have been when I first was out on my own with not much to my name.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choosy Beggars

The link is to a reddit page that is example after example of what you describe.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, fuck them. I am done with facebook. The wife uses the account now to keep up with her roller derby league. I just don't give two shits anymore. For the very same facebookey shit you have outlined.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not just Facebook, it is an overall sense of entitlement and that the world will work on your timeline and terms 100% of the time.

I posted recently about giving away a $750.00 Tuft and Needle mattress in excellent condition and sure enough, someone got pissed at me because I would not deliver it 60 miles away (I clearly said in my ad that I cannot deliver).

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
No, you were not out of line. You did your best to help someone who obviously did not really want that help!

She appears to be a charter member of the millennial "ME FIRST" brigade.

I would not lose a second of sleep over it.

Some people just cannot be helped, no matter how much they seek that help, or attention.

It could be worse!

Our youngest grandson has been living with us for more than 2 years now. He is Grandma's little dumpling and she has an amazing ability to rationalize what ever he does. He is on a 60% disability from the army. I/we provide his room and board, travel to and from all the VA meetings, doctor's appointments, court proceedings, etc etc.

I dare not comment on it to her because, as has happened in the past, I will be accused of hating him.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Not surprised one bit. Kick some grass on that shit and walk away like a happy dog.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
The phrase "no good deed goes unpunished' came to mind as I read your post.
Appreciation and respect for a helping hand has been lost to many in the younger generation.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Not out of line at all. Some people believe the world revolves around them. She’s going to have a MAJOR shock one day when she realizes it doesn’t.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went through something similar.

We ended up donating 90% of the stuff to Salvation Army and Goodwill to use as write-offs on our taxes.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A significant number of folks in that age range would seem to be not just clueless, but downright assholes.
Not all of them.... But many!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here's something that I did not know existed.

26 y.o. gal was at lunch a few months ago.

she has 11 friends.

her and her 11 friends have 11 "parties" through out the year.

when these parties are at (example) Jill's house, they all spend $30.00 a piece on gifts for jill,

then maybe next month the party is at Greg's house and once again the other ten people spend $30.00 a piece , each to adorn greg and his home with .....stuff.

and this goes on and on and on.

I don't " get " it , not in the least.
so , I guess plan on spend at least $300.00 on stuff

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be she was planning on selling the stuff for a garage sale and needed it in the morning.

We had a neighbor ask my wife for infant clothes when she was walking with the stroller through the neighborhood. My wife gifted her a bunch of clothes for her friend. Later we saw her having a garage sale including the gifted clothes. Mad

-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
She did you and your GF a favor.

Better than having to tell her to FOAD down the road over some trivial shit and having her go "Batshit Crazy Bitch" on you two and the heartburn that goes with not being able to grab her by the neck and squeezing until she shits her pants.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Facebook is yet another avenue for bitches to be bitches.

Screw Facebook.

And Lord knows, they have so few avenues open to them. Roll Eyes

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post