SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Lawnmower Blades that attract Rocks !
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lawnmower Blades that attract Rocks ! Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Never fails. I put 3 new blades on my Kubota mower deck, Saturday , mowed grass today, looks like every rock popped out the ground under the deck.

And I was being careful!
I don't have a manicured lawn, ( 4acres), but I don't have a quarry either.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Moles with tiny trebuchets...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI just sharpening a blade brings it back to its original rock attraction state. Wink

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Step 1: Sharpen blade or replace with new blade.
Step 2: Walk the lawn, removing stones, rocks and any other hard objects.
Step 3: Start mower and run through the lawn finding rocks that grew after you checked.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the long-buried metal fenceposts that suddenly surface for air. And that garden hose you accused the wife of misplacing.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Never fails. I put 3 new blades on my Kubota mower deck, Saturday , mowed grass today, looks like every rock popped out the ground under the deck.

And I was being careful!
I don't have a manicured lawn, ( 4acres), but I don't have a quarry either.

It must be the red dirt we have around here. It seems to cultivate rocks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I mow pretty high, ~3 1/2 inches, but try to remember to drop my deck 1/2 inch below normal and mow one last time before a blade sharpening in an attempt to find those buggers.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Oh, the gouges can be ground out, but banging rocks unbalances the blades muy pronto.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Depending on conditions, I keep the deck height up some.

My neighbor lady likes it really low. I did some work on her mower a few years back, fixed everything, raised the deck, talked about it, her blades were trashed.

Later I see her beck is back down.

Yes, a good check, especially after winter or 1st mow.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I normally have rhe deck height about 3-1/2", and seems the rocks I hit are 3 -3/4"

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
How often do you check your tire pressure? Lower Pressure = lower deck height.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame it on the squirrels, if it's round they will "hide" it somewhere. I've found round rocks nearly 2 inches in diameter on top of the outside window sills and on top of the covers for the sconces on the garage. Also find a lot of these rocks in my grass, with the mower.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Finding rocks goes way back -- the early farmers thought that rocks grew in the soil during the winter and that was why there were so many lying on/in the surface in the Spring. The old stone walls often found in areas the woods have reclaimed, were often made of these stones.
Truth be known, at a later date, that the freeze/thaw cycle was the true culprit.
Early urban homes in the 60's built on what was farm land. So, ya - rocks and dandelions aplenty. Sharping the blades monthly with the use of an electric drill & specialty bits was ritual.
One that in retirement I miss not.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Precisely the reason I’ve been putting off changing the blades this year.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Right there with you. I mow at 1.5” with our zoysia. Ended up with two sets of blades for the Honda as it’s easier to have one sharp and ready to go for the inevitable.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post