SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Something we all hate!: Dishonest banana sellers!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something we all hate!: Dishonest banana sellers! Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Razz

Damn I swear the grocery store has yellow lights over the bananas! They look yellow and ripe sitting there on display. Get them home and they're green like you couldn't believe.

Scoundrels! Big Grin

I feel bad for children, most of whom will never taste ripe fruit in their lifetime. Heck I feel bad for me!

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s an increasingly annoying pet peeve of mine. Ironically the more first world we get, the more artificial the food becomes. I enjoy my trips to Asia because of the seasonal fresh and ripe fruit and veggies i can enjoy. I rarely enjoy produce here. Upscale supermarket, regular supermarket, farmer’s market - nobody carries good stuff.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i like 'em green, shop a week at a time.

at the end of the week, they still aren't candidates for banana bread.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
i like 'em green, shop a week at a time.

at the end of the week, they still aren't candidates for banana bread.

Ditto.

If you buy yellow bananas, they're brown within a couple days.

Buy green ones, and once you wait a day or so for them to ripen, you can still eat them for a week plus.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Here is my banana supplier -

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What you call "ripen", isn't.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea, thats pretty low but everything gets enhanced lighting in one form or another from diamond jewelry sellers to funeral homes putting colored lights on casket. Seems you can't get away from it... even in death Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Day-yay-yay-o

Daylight come and me want to go home!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Day-yay-yay-o

Daylight come and me want to go home!

First mister tally man need to tally you banana.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2402 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Razz

Damn I swear the grocery store has yellow lights over the bananas! They look yellow and ripe sitting there on display. Get them home and they're green like you couldn't believe.

Scoundrels! Big Grin

I feel bad for children, most of whom will never taste ripe fruit in their lifetime. Heck I feel bad for me!

Yup... they actually do get different wavelength lights to make the fruit look better

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It’s an increasingly annoying pet peeve of mine. Ironically the more first world we get, the more artificial the food becomes. I enjoy my trips to Asia because of the seasonal fresh and ripe fruit and veggies i can enjoy. I rarely enjoy produce here. Upscale supermarket, regular supermarket, farmer’s market - nobody carries good stuff.

I dont know why, but mangoes in the Philippines are so much better than what we get here.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all the bananas you can get at the stores are picked, packed, shipped and received to the produce warehouses as green bananas.

The cases of bananas are placed on racks and the ones I saw at Charlie’s Produce in Seattle (logistics software training) were about 20’ tall. These racks are rolled into the ripening room, doors are closed and ethylene gas is pumped in. Depending on temperature, and concentration of ethylene gas, about 24 hours later you have the bananas we see at the store.

It’s not just bananas. Avocados, tomatoes, apples, kiwi, peaches, mango, watermelon, the list goes on and on.

quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:
I dont know why, but mangoes in the Philippines are so much better than what we get here.

Because they are naturally ripened. Not gassed to ripen.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife won't touch a banana if it is not mostly green. Ugh.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Ungassed bananas take 75 years to ripen, or in my experience anyway, longer than Plantains.

Little known facts, if you need an avocado to ripen, put it in a beer coozie. Expedites the process.

Also, once picked, a pineapple will not ripen anymore, it will never sweeten more than the day you pick it. According to the Dole Plantation tour.

A pregnant native Hawaiian can take 1 pineapple a day from any farm by law.

Fresh fruit, as in from a natural tree almost always tastes better, mangoes, papaya, avodacos, and coconuts would be available by the barrel when I lived in oahu, quite the barter system amongst neighbors.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
90% of the grocery store produce IMO is crap. Green, tasteless "stuff". I grew up in the country. We had just about every fruit tree, bush or vine you can think of. All of the neighbor hood kids, my brother and I grew up on all of it. Didn't have $$ for anything else anyhow. So good and loaded with flavor. I don't waste $$ on store fruit. Just can't eat it after knowing what the real stuff tastes like.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ungassed bananas take 75 years to ripen

That seems rather long.
I am assuming you mean days instead.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Ungassed bananas take 75 years to ripen

That seems rather long.
I am assuming you mean days instead.

Yes, it doesnt take that long. I was exaggerating.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bastages

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Bastages

Fargin Bastages.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yep, soft doesn't equal ripe. (nor does yellow)

Oddly enough the best place around here to buy bananas that are at least yellow and have some flavor, is 7-11. Why I dunno.