SIGforum
Something we all hate!: Dishonest banana sellers!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2280048774

December 20, 2020, 11:17 PM
cas
Something we all hate!: Dishonest banana sellers!
Razz

Damn I swear the grocery store has yellow lights over the bananas! They look yellow and ripe sitting there on display. Get them home and they're green like you couldn't believe.

Scoundrels! Big Grin

I feel bad for children, most of whom will never taste ripe fruit in their lifetime. Heck I feel bad for me!

December 20, 2020, 11:29 PM
konata88
It’s an increasingly annoying pet peeve of mine. Ironically the more first world we get, the more artificial the food becomes. I enjoy my trips to Asia because of the seasonal fresh and ripe fruit and veggies i can enjoy. I rarely enjoy produce here. Upscale supermarket, regular supermarket, farmer’s market - nobody carries good stuff.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
December 21, 2020, 07:53 AM
airbubba
i like 'em green, shop a week at a time.

at the end of the week, they still aren't candidates for banana bread.
December 21, 2020, 08:08 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
i like 'em green, shop a week at a time.

at the end of the week, they still aren't candidates for banana bread.

Ditto.

If you buy yellow bananas, they're brown within a couple days.

Buy green ones, and once you wait a day or so for them to ripen, you can still eat them for a week plus.
December 21, 2020, 09:58 AM
mcrimm
Here is my banana supplier -

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
December 21, 2020, 12:08 PM
cas
What you call "ripen", isn't.

December 21, 2020, 12:56 PM
cparktd
Yea, thats pretty low but everything gets enhanced lighting in one form or another from diamond jewelry sellers to funeral homes putting colored lights on casket. Seems you can't get away from it... even in death Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
December 21, 2020, 01:31 PM
rsbolo
Day-yay-yay-o

Daylight come and me want to go home!

December 21, 2020, 01:52 PM
yanici
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Day-yay-yay-o

Daylight come and me want to go home!

First mister tally man need to tally you banana.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]
December 21, 2020, 04:53 PM
Lord Vaalic
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Razz

Damn I swear the grocery store has yellow lights over the bananas! They look yellow and ripe sitting there on display. Get them home and they're green like you couldn't believe.

Scoundrels! Big Grin

I feel bad for children, most of whom will never taste ripe fruit in their lifetime. Heck I feel bad for me!

Yup... they actually do get different wavelength lights to make the fruit look better

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
December 21, 2020, 05:46 PM
dan03833
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It’s an increasingly annoying pet peeve of mine. Ironically the more first world we get, the more artificial the food becomes. I enjoy my trips to Asia because of the seasonal fresh and ripe fruit and veggies i can enjoy. I rarely enjoy produce here. Upscale supermarket, regular supermarket, farmer’s market - nobody carries good stuff.

I dont know why, but mangoes in the Philippines are so much better than what we get here.
December 21, 2020, 08:52 PM
Beancooker
Pretty much all the bananas you can get at the stores are picked, packed, shipped and received to the produce warehouses as green bananas.

The cases of bananas are placed on racks and the ones I saw at Charlie’s Produce in Seattle (logistics software training) were about 20’ tall. These racks are rolled into the ripening room, doors are closed and ethylene gas is pumped in. Depending on temperature, and concentration of ethylene gas, about 24 hours later you have the bananas we see at the store.

It’s not just bananas. Avocados, tomatoes, apples, kiwi, peaches, mango, watermelon, the list goes on and on.

quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:
I dont know why, but mangoes in the Philippines are so much better than what we get here.

Because they are naturally ripened. Not gassed to ripen.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
December 21, 2020, 08:56 PM
Bassamatic
The wife won't touch a banana if it is not mostly green. Ugh.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
December 22, 2020, 02:02 AM
OttoSig
Ungassed bananas take 75 years to ripen, or in my experience anyway, longer than Plantains.

Little known facts, if you need an avocado to ripen, put it in a beer coozie. Expedites the process.

Also, once picked, a pineapple will not ripen anymore, it will never sweeten more than the day you pick it. According to the Dole Plantation tour.

A pregnant native Hawaiian can take 1 pineapple a day from any farm by law.

Fresh fruit, as in from a natural tree almost always tastes better, mangoes, papaya, avodacos, and coconuts would be available by the barrel when I lived in oahu, quite the barter system amongst neighbors.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
December 23, 2020, 06:34 AM
kramden
90% of the grocery store produce IMO is crap. Green, tasteless "stuff". I grew up in the country. We had just about every fruit tree, bush or vine you can think of. All of the neighbor hood kids, my brother and I grew up on all of it. Didn't have $$ for anything else anyhow. So good and loaded with flavor. I don't waste $$ on store fruit. Just can't eat it after knowing what the real stuff tastes like.
December 23, 2020, 07:55 AM
Patrick-SP2022
quote:
Ungassed bananas take 75 years to ripen

That seems rather long.
I am assuming you mean days instead.

December 23, 2020, 04:59 PM
OttoSig
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Ungassed bananas take 75 years to ripen

That seems rather long.
I am assuming you mean days instead.

Yes, it doesnt take that long. I was exaggerating.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
December 24, 2020, 10:39 AM
jhe888
Bastages

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
December 24, 2020, 10:43 AM
MWC
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Bastages

Fargin Bastages.

December 24, 2020, 03:35 PM
cas
Yep, soft doesn't equal ripe. (nor does yellow)

Oddly enough the best place around here to buy bananas that are at least yellow and have some flavor, is 7-11. Why I dunno.