SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Speak Up when Talking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speak Up when Talking Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
I’ve noticed, especially in younger women, that they tend to speak low to where then end of the sentence goes into a growl almost. I don’t know how to explain it. There is one person at my office that does this and every other sentence is low and growly at the end. I know this person can speak up and sharp like humans are supposed to.

The more I hear it, the more it grates on me.....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yup, that’s it. Guess I need to watch the Today Show more often to stay up with the latest trends Roll Eyes

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to think that, too. Eventually my wife was texting me in the living room. Just for grins, have your hearing checked.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A man feared his wife wasn't hearing as well as she used to, and he thought she might need a hearing aid. Not quite sure how to approach her, he called the family Doctor to discuss the problem. The Doctor told him there is a simple informal test the husband could perform to give the Doctor a better idea about her hearing loss.

"Here's what you do," said the Doctor, "stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone, see if she hears you.

If not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and so on until you get a response."

That evening, the wife is in the kitchen cooking dinner, and he was in the den.

He says to himself, "I'm about 40 feet away, let's see what happens." Then in a normal tone he asks, "Honey, what's for dinner?" No response.

So the husband moves to closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, "Honey, what's for dinner?" Still no response.

Next he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his wife and asks, "Honey, what's for dinner?" Again he gets no response so; He walks up to the kitchen door, about 10 feet away.

"Honey, what's for dinner?" Again there is no response. So he walks right up behind her. "Honey, what's for dinner?"

"James, for the FIFTH time I've said, CHICKEN!"

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the women I work with are like this too. Hard to hear them talk unless they are looking at me or standing close. I think they could talk louder, but I am beginning to question how much of it is my own hearing going south.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I just tell them to get the cock out of their mouths and speak up.

Of course I say that to all of them, men - women - it's - or's.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have noticed this trend too. Especially when my hearing aid batteries are running low.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I am hard of hearing. I have significant high frequency hearing loss and it's getting worse. It's exacerbated by a nasty case of tinnitus. I have known this for years. My wife and family have known it for years.

And yet, people will NOT speak up when I say "What?"

So, I've started just ignoring them. And when they get pissed because I'm ignoring them I just say "Well, you know I can't hear. I assumed if it was important, you'd have spoken up loud enough that I could hear you."

That fixes the problem for about 20 minutes...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To honor Gunney Hartmam
[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had that experience, I get my arthritis medicine tru a mail order speciality pharmacy (it real expensive) now I do not have a hearing problem, tinnitus yes. The lady that was setting up the delivery has a set of questions that she has to ask me(every damn time I place a order) and invariably I have to ask her to repeat a bunch of the questions because she mumbles or she lets her voice trail off so I can’t hear all of the question. It looks like after being asked to repeat half of the questions she would speak clearly, but no too easy.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
HRK - LOL hahaha that's great!

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Vocal fry!! Oh man this drives me nuts. Howard Stern has talked about this a few times and it’s absolutely hilarious. It drives him mad too.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
I just had that experience, I get my arthritis medicine tru a mail order speciality pharmacy (it real expensive) now I do not have a hearing problem, tinnitus yes. The lady that was setting up the delivery has a set of questions that she has to ask me(every damn time I place a order) and invariably I have to ask her to repeat a bunch of the questions because she mumbles or she lets her voice trail off so I can’t hear all of the question. It looks like after being asked to repeat half of the questions she would speak clearly, but no too easy.

My wife can’t be bothered to speak up, what makes you think that person is going to bother? Even after it’s led to some huge fights, a few days later it’s back to soft spoken and trailing off to nothing on the last few words. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
My wife can’t be bothered to speak up, what makes you think that person is going to bother? Even after it’s led to some huge fights, a few days later it’s back to soft spoken and trailing off to nothing on the last few words. Roll Eyes

I simply don't hear people who talk like that, wife, child, or anyone.

"Oh, you were saying something???"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I freaking hate it.

I work with a bunch of women and girls who do this. I really don't understand why.

I blame the Kardashians

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Listen to NPR sometime (if you dare). The professional announcers or interviewers speak clearly but the female interviewees have baaad vocal fry. I can't stand it.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It makes work difficult. I have hearing aids and my hearing loss is most pronounced in the female vocal range so it's a double whammy. If it's important they'll repeat it or speak louder or not.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If I am dealing with somebody who does not speak clearly, I just say, politely, "I am hearing impaired and I do not understand what you are saying. Would you mind writing it for me?"

The person will usually speak clearly, or write for me. Either way works.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post