SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bought My Last Pair Of Skechers Shoes - Complete Chinese Garbage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought My Last Pair Of Skechers Shoes - Complete Chinese Garbage Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I bought a pair of black oxford style shoes for work a few months ago from Skechers and they are completely falling apart already, WTF.

The "leather" on the front of the shoe where it bends has started to crack and peel and it's not even real leather it turns out, some sort of paper thin black plastic veneer over some leather-like material.

Knowing the Chicoms it's probably made out of dead rats or cats or something. Roll Eyes

I'm done buying these garbage shoes. Casual shoes and sneakers will be from New Balance from now on and what's a good source for shoes like oxfords and dress casual shoes?

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup. Burned that bridge about 5 years ago.

I mostly wear boots, but I imagine the philosophy works the same way for shoes: You can by a $200 pair every three years or a $50 pair every six months.

My current go-to is Chippewa boots. I have a pair about 2 years old that the eyelets wore out on and were shredding the laces with the sharp edges. I have what may be the last old-time shoe repair shop in the State of Maine about 5 miles from me. Dropped 'em off, he replaced the eyelets, repaired a scuffed toe, reglued a separated upper and charged me $40. The logger soles are easily good for another 2 years.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with Edmund Allens, is what I say.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
I used to wear Skechers boots for about 10 years. Didn't even have to try them on, just bought my size and they were great. Tried some last year and the size was way off. Bought another pair in a different style and same "off" sizing. Won't go back now ever. Their online customer service said they had not made any changes. BS!!!

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I was going to buy a pair of Skechers.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
what's a good source for shoes like oxfords and dress casual shoes?

Im a big fan of Rockports. Try to find an actual Rockports factory store near you.

It just kills me, we give good money to China in return for junk. We're shooting ourselves in the foot, no pun intended.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve had great luck with both Rockports and Merrill’s.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Ecco -- Seriously, I got 8 yrs out of 2 different pair of semi-hiking shoes that I rotated for work! Super comfortable, can be a bit spendy, but I got my money's worth!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Ecco -- Seriously, I got 8 yrs out of 2 different pair of semi-hiking shoes that I rotated for work! Super comfortable, can be a bit spendy, but I got my money's worth!

I've got a couple pairs of Ecco's, I guess they'd be called Oxford style. Priciest shoes I own and the best, so comfortable out of the box. I look for reasons to wear them.

I bought Skecher hiking shoes a few years back. Worst shoe ever. Size is right and they mutilate my feet. Walking downhill feels like getting the toe ends pounded by a hammer. The Achilles cutout in the back is straight out of The Inquisition.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
...sneakers will be from New Balance from now on...

I strongly suggest that you buy them from a brick-and-mortar, not from an on-line source. NB's sizing is notorious for being inaccurate.

With no local stores carrying them here, I got them from various sources over the years and had my share of exchanges, but the final straw was earlier this year, a pair of 779s that were a good half-size small! Unfortunately, the place I bought them from demanded a 10% return fee, and couldn't tell me what would be the correct size to replace them with! I kept them as doorstops.

Several calls to NB got me no help. I still like the build quality of those I see, but traveling to a store that carries them won't happen until spring or summer.

By the way, I agree that Sketchers are not as good as they used to be, they're off my list.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Doc Martens used to be my go-to, before they shifted the bulk of their manufacturing offshore (from GB.) Quality for some of the Chinese-made ones I've had since then has been OK, but others have been abysmal. Only redemption is that the truly crap pairs were only $30 at Marshalls.

Skechers were in rotation for a while. The last pair did the same thing you're seeing, but at least I got six months out of 'em.

I've picked up a few pair of Danner casual shoes & boots during their annual sales. The US-made ones have done fine.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve had great luck with both Rockports

Rockports have also taken a Chinese quality plunge. I purchased some Skechers fabric slip-ons (Made in Viet Nam) to wear around the house & they have held up well.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Can't go wrong with Edmund Allens, is what I say.

+1

I've got two pair of Allen Edmonds dress shoes that are over 15 years old. Other than re-soling and re-heeling at the cobbler from time to time for normal wear, still in pretty good shape. And AE is still American-made, as best I recall. They're more expensive, but if you take decent care of them they should last.

I try to go with American-made New Balance for my walking/running shoes as well.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had some serious foot surgery 6 or 7 years ago and the surgeon and the person who made my orthotics both highly recommended New Balance.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I hear ya, I hate them... and they get so damn uncomfortable just after a few months. I just bought a pair of Doc Martens (about 3 weeks ago) for work and so far so good

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m on my second pair in less than 3 years. Very comfortable but the sole comes off in about 12-16 months each time in my experience.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I wear Ecco Goretex Oxfords because they are comfortable and waterproof. They last about two years but I wear them in a rough environment in which I should really be wearing boots.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
I’ve had great luck with both Rockports

Rockports have also taken a Chinese quality plunge. I purchased some Skechers fabric slip-ons (Made in Viet Nam) to wear around the house & they have held up well.

I bought two pair Rockports, made in Vietnam that have help up well for several years.

Went to buy another pair and discovered that Rockports are now made in India and quality is not as good and heavier, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on New Balance, Merrils, & Rockports.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I stopped buying Sketchers in 1999 after a similar experience as the OP. In my case, the "leather" started peeling off the second time I wore them. They were clearly defective.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post