SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    After having worked every holiday since getting promoted, I was scheduled off for Independence Day...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After having worked every holiday since getting promoted, I was scheduled off for Independence Day... Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Day
MLK Day
Valentines Day
President’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day
Wedding Anniversary
Easter
Mother’s Day
Memorial Day
Father’s Day

Worked every one of them this year. That’s every damned holiday on the calendar, plus my anniversary.

Was scheduled off for Independence Day. Wife got us an in for fancy seats with food, beer, etc at the baseball game, major fireworks to follow the game. I don’t remember the last time I actually watched the fireworks.

Well, my opposite rotation equal just found out he is being forced to work a special assignment because of a qual he holds. And one of us HAS TO be in the division to run the shift. Of course, no one has bothered to talk to me about it yet.

Sonofabitch. Shit is unbelievable.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Until I got enough seniority (7 years) I worked every damn holiday. And it ruined me forever for holidays. I still hate them. You would think New Years Eve would the worst holiday to work. Nope! It was by far July 4th. Hot, drunk and really stupid. With fireworks! And all kinds of public events that required staffing.
When I was finally able to do so, I put in for vacation on NYE, July 4th, Labor Day and Christmas a year in advance. Then my bosses forgot about it. When it came time to staff holidays, they would come to me and want me to work. I would then pull out my approved time off request I had filed away.
Victory at last!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Chongosuerte, how much longer until eligible for retirement? Retire at the first opportunity and tell them why you are leaving in no uncertain terms too.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That blows a fat greasy one dude. If I were local I’d at least bring you a nice burger, drink and chips.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Round here you’d get to say Ohh well and enjoy your day off.
Can’t change our regular days off around here without 7 days of notice. If approved for leave it can’t ever be pulled.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m on a 28 day rotation, all three shifts. I’ve worked every holiday this year as well. We’re finally going to hire people and I was told I’m going to be stuck on afternoons for the rest of the year field training.

1,405 days to go...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in retail sales for 30 years, and had a very similar experience.

after retiring, I found that I don't go any where near crowds on holidays, no matter what.

and don't miss it a bit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Chongosuerte, how much longer until eligible for retirement? Retire at the first opportunity and tell them why you are leaving in no uncertain terms too.

Ya!im halfway to a 30 year retirement. It’s gonna be worse before it’s better.

Our staffing is unbelievable. 4 nights a week the most that we have actually available to work, if everyone shows up, is 8 officers.

That’s for a 65sq mile division and a population of 180,000. And the highest call volume in the city. For July 4th it looks like we will have 6 working the division. I can’t explain how much that is going to suck.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It can always be worse. We had six on our squad. At any time there was one, maybe two working due to an overlap. It didn't matter if it was a holiday or not. During a holiday we MIGHT get a Reserve Officer for one shift. Last shift was off at 2am, but that officer was on call out status until day shift at 7am. The Sgt. only worked days. Roll Eyes

We covered all the state highway in two counties, almost all of Pinal Co. and eastern Maricopa Co. We had an excellent relationship with one small city agency and one county agency if we needed backup.

Vacations? Hard to schedule with that manpower. I had twice the seniority over the rest of the squad so I always took Christmas>New Years. That made for hard feelings but that was policy.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I hit the 20 year mark back in Feb and unless the holiday falls on my normal day off (I work midnights, Sunday thru Thursday) I’ve worked every holiday. Except for New Years Eve. My wife insists I take this night off. We don’t go out, but stay at home.

I save my holiday (we get paid time & half for working the day, plus we can use the holiday later) for hunting season. Basically, I’m off for most of November and December.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta say, I was the complete opposite. I worked every holiday and loved it. Fourth of July. Fantastic. Fights, drunks, fireworks, stabbings, maybe a shooting. To me, that's a party. Christmas? Family disputes, maybe a chase or homicide. Someone gets stabbed with a serving fork. Plus I got free Chinese food on Christmas. Don't even get me started on New Year's Eve.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Gotta say, I was the complete opposite. I worked every holiday and loved it. Fourth of July. Fantastic. Fights, drunks, fireworks, stabbings, maybe a shooting. To me, that's a party. Christmas? Family disputes, maybe a chase or homicide. Someone gets stabbed with a serving fork. Plus I got free Chinese food on Christmas. Don't even get me started on New Year's Eve.

Yeah.

We call that a Tuesday. Every bit of it. Wish I was joking. My division runs 2,700+ calls a month. Major holidays are absolutely insane, 10-20+ calls holding with no officers available all night. It’s unbelievable.

I don’t mind working when I’m scheduled to work. It’s my job. Just a bit miffed that nobody gave us a heads up. Also irritating that that it’ll just be straight time, despite the inconvenience, the holiday, and the extra 10 hours for the week.

My wife is patient as hell with my job, but she was looking forward to watching the fireworks with me.

And we’re closing on a house Tuesday. We’ve got movers, deliveries, etc set up every day that week. Now I’ll be up all night Thursday night

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
Props to all of you wo continue on with the job. I said fuckt it before 5 years. This crap ia a big part of why. I to this day,25 years later, will not travel on holidays because of drunks.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that sucks donkey ballz.

BTDT, got the T-shirt - I missed T-day, X-Mas, New Years, Birth of Children, Valentines Day three times over.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It thing that sucks is, you're at the bottom of the totem pole all over again!

You spent how many years as a Cop, did a whole mess of good police work, worked your way up this ladder.... then ya go and get all promoted...

Now you're the Junior Sgt.

I almost feel your pain. I'm #2 from the bottom, poor kid that made it with me has been detailed out to different districts and festivals at least 2 out of 4 days.
Well, only the shitty festivals, because the more senior sgts take the good details.

I'm going through the same thing you're going through. At least if they cancel my day off, I get time and a half.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
In my 30-years I never worked Christmas. That was my goal. Worked a bunch of other holidays but never Christmas.

The light at the end of the rainbow..Retirement! Wink

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post