SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do something stupid, you pay for it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do something stupid, you pay for it. Login/Join 
posted
So, I called a garage door repairman to adjust the springs on my pole barn door. The door is a Rainer heavy insulated tall door.
I agreed to let him install an opener on it so he left to order parts.
I knew I would need a receptacle up there, so I went to work on it. I thought while I was at it, I would add 2 other receptacles and two indoor lights as well.
I could not reach high enough to run wire at one point in my barn, so I moved a heavy duty wagon into position and put the ladder in it. All I needed to do was to run wire into the last light and I was done.
I was at the top when I felt the ladder move and down I came, face first.
Well a couple of non edible strawberries a swollen ankle and my neck is
really stiff.

I already have a problem with my spine and it gets me in the neck.
I feel I was really lucky. Not sure why I tried it, I guess I just wanted to get it finished up without having to spend another hour trying to get up where I needed to be.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

Hope you feel better.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had to be out ladder safety reminder. Eek

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things happen, glad it was not worse.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Remember, boys and girls... the Aquabird does not fly, it splashes.

Hope you have no lasting issues from this.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I flew one direction, hammer, and eye glasses flew in another.
I need a new taller ladder. All the years I worked in industry on ladders and in high lifts and the only other time I got hurt was when a coworker drove our 45' JLG into a slushway while we were in the air. I was off for 4 months and that was not enough. Back is still bad from that.

I had my Sig Ultra Compact on when I fell and it stayed holstered.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hopefully only bumps and bruises.

Stay safe, and heal up quickly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Aquabird, hoping you heal up quickly. None of us bounce as well as we did when younger.

Once when we lived down in Hurricane Alley (I.E. Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach NC) we had a big oak tree crack a limb in a hurricane. The limb was about 12" thick and pivoted down across our driveway and was still attached to the tree trunk. I thought- "no problem" and went to get my extension ladder and chainsaw. Unfortunately, my younger brother had come over to borrow my extension ladder and in an unusual exhibition of kindness, only took one section. When I put the single ladder up to the twisted oak branch it wasn't tall enough to get above the break. I knew this was a bad decision but went ahead and tried to carefully cut it.
Once I heard cracking start I tried to get out of the way but alas, the limb twisted and knocked me off the ladder onto a tool box.
It cut my arm pretty good and the emergency room doc (after a 5 hour wait) told me I fell approximately 15' onto a toolbox and only got sixteen stitches, so I was very lucky and extremely blessed.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Hope ypu get to feeling better soon with no lasting problems.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Really sore today, mostly my problem neck, from a previous motorcycle incident.

Rinehart, we had a guy around here who ran a musical instrument shop, mostly Guitars and amps
He cut a limb off a tree and it fell on him and killed him.
Called my son, he has a ladder that shold work and he will finish it up for me, I can barely walk.
Not as bad as a lot of guys on here and their issues.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Whew. That is tough to hear. I find it somewhat amazing the things that folks endure and survive in all types of situations and then get taken out by something routine...

I have found that Tumeric seems to help with pain and healing like this if you can get your hands on some. I will occasionally make a super-foods type shake and add local honey and Tumeric along with the other stuff and it seems to help my knee/shoulder pain. There's a really effective Tumeric and pepper tea (tastes awful but works) that's available at Wal-mart and other stores and it's not at the designer/hipster stuff prices

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can get it. My best friend owns a health food store. My wife and I help keep him in business by spending a load there every month.

I put herbal adjustment on my neck before bed last night just so I could sleep.

posted Hide Post
elliot was 75 years old but looked like he was 95 , from the way he waddled about on his crippled up hips and knees.

Elliot was raised on a farm and farmed till he couldn't do it anymore.

One summer he rolled a tractor on himself while mowing the ditches ,
These were ditches that he had mowed 8 times per summer for over 40 years.

No that didn't kill him, oh it should have , according to a half dozen friends and family .

the very next summer he went to painting the barn that his dad put up.

His grand kids wanted to help so they painted the bottom 5 feet Big Grin

he painted the next 12 feet on ladders,

He took his time and stayed hydrated in the western illinois humidity , that summer, and
his daughter said that she was going to have the top portion painted, " let it be " she told him.

Then one day , ten days before the kids would be going back to school .

A passer by on the county road watched as Elliot fell from an extension ladder that he had placed in the bucket of his tractor and lifted 9 feet in the air .

The passer by was from four farms over , he called the daughter and let her know that her dad was unconscious next to the barn and that the ambulance was on the way.

Elliot new for a fact what was safe and what wasn't, no one said it but many thought it was his way , to stop the daily pain.

This way , it was just another farm accident.

After four days in the hospital he was gone.they had to hold up the speech at the cemetery, for
15 minutes , the 116 cars was way more than the place could hold, they had to walk from the road side.

The rest of the barn got painted by 16 of Elliots friends and family , before they got to church , five days later.

They offered the tractor up to a raffle for those that showed up that day .

They got $3,000.00 for a $900.00 tractor that got donated to a local charity that helps way ward teens.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad story.

I considered for a brief moment using the front end loader, but I knew that was not gonna happen.

Son brought his ladder and he finished it up.

Neighbor woman(term used loosely) drove her new zero turn mower into deep drainage ditch when she first got it. Broke her leg.

posted Hide Post
One sure way to never get hurt is to never do anything.

I can kind of guess you are not that type of guy.

Me neither.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I've climbed rock faces 400 meters up. I have no difficulty with climbing ropes and keeping myself "safe" while rock climbing.

Gnarly overhanging routes, thin ledges, and exposed routes that look down into river valleys inspire awe in me.

Ladders freak me right the hell out. I don't like them and I don't trust them. My Little Giant ladder has never let me down (pun intended) but I treat it like a strange dog.

I hope you are ok Aquabird.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I used to put up TV towers, antennas and rotors on the side. I do not like heights, but since then worked as an electrician in industry and have had to work up in the steel from time to time, so I have overcome it to some extent.
Mountains....no way.
I was out in Brice Park one year. We went up the path and we saw an oriental couple there. The man told the woman to go out on the rock cliff so he could get a picture of her there.
She had some plastic sandals on and when she got out there she slipped and almost went over the edge.
She cut herself up a little, but he told her to go back out so he could get the shot.

Made me wonder if he did not have something else lined up and was trying to some house cleaning??

They told us at Brice that people fall from the cliffs every year. NOT ME.

Yeah, I am ok, my neck is the worst thing now.
Right shoulder too. They lock up or I get a pain in them like a spasm. Think I am going to get a massage.