SIGforum
Extended Warranties.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2250033034

September 13, 2017, 10:18 PM
OKCGene
Extended Warranties.
I forced a smile and politely declined. I wanted to say Are you Serious? No!

Twice today. First was at Home Depot. I purchased a Ridgid brand random orbit sander for $59.97. When you register it with Ridgid you get a free lifetime warranty. No ma'am, I don't want to purchase your extended warranty for 2 years coverage, and not at any price. Ridgid has me covered just fine for a $59 sander.

Then over to Best Buy for a replacement corded USB computer keyboard. Found a bargain on the shelf, open box for $10.99. The cashier tried to sell me an extended warranty for $5.00. I declined, she persisted. I politely told her I couldn't justify it for an under 12 bucks out the door, tax included item.

Jeez Louise!

I know it's their job to push these things, but hey, NO MEANS NO !
September 13, 2017, 11:36 PM
Edmond
That's high profit for them.

Sears was (is?) notorious for high pressure extended warranties. When I worked for them years ago one of the assistant managers used to roll out the paranoia: if it stops working after the factory warranty you're out of luck. You could spend some now and be covered for the $1,200 washer!

I have a buddy who did buy the extended warranty on a treadmill from Sears and it worked out wonderfully for him. It worked great for him because he actually used the treadmill. It broke multiple times and they came out to replace parts on it multiple times. After a few times, they just replaced the whole treadmill. Big Grin

September 14, 2017, 10:05 AM
Best Buy tried that on me many years ago and I just walked out the door. One of the managers followed me into the parking lot trying to convince me to return. Haven't been back since. Mad

September 14, 2017, 11:25 AM
PASig
The best is when you buy a new car and the salesman talks it up like it's the hottest, best, well-built thing ever devised. Then you pull the trigger and suddenly this car is a piece of shit that is going to fall apart the second you drive off the lot UNLESS you buy their extended warranty RIGHT THIS MINUTE!
Big Grin

September 14, 2017, 11:41 AM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The best is when you buy a new car and the salesman talks it up like it's the hottest, best, well-built thing ever devised. Then you pull the trigger and suddenly this car is a piece of shit that is going to fall apart the second you drive off the lot UNLESS you buy their extended warranty RIGHT THIS MINUTE!
Big Grin

I did that.

Salesman was touting how reliable the car would be yada yada yada. Got the finance creep who was pressing for the extended warranty "why do I need a warranty? The salesman said it was extremely reliable."

"Well you never really know."

Without a reply, I got up and walked over to the salesman who was helping another customer and forcefully claimed "You lied to me!! The finance guy just told me that car is not reliable and I needed an extended warranty because "you never know."" I walked out and never set foot in there again.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

September 14, 2017, 01:34 PM
Ronin1069
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
That's high profit for them.

Sears was (is?) notorious for high pressure extended warranties. When I worked for them years ago one of the assistant managers used to roll out the paranoia: if it stops working after the factory warranty you're out of luck. You could spend some now and be covered for the $1,200 washer!

I have a buddy who did buy the extended warranty on a treadmill from Sears and it worked out wonderfully for him. It worked great for him because he actually used the treadmill. It broke multiple times and they came out to replace parts on it multiple times. After a few times, they just replaced the whole treadmill. Big Grin

I was a district manager with Sears for 4 years. Very good friends of mine lost their jobs for no reason other than they could not get their teams to sell enough protection agreements.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
September 14, 2017, 02:39 PM
Edmond
Ronin,

From what I recall, the protection plans were very expensive. They were sometimes 20-30% of the cost of the item.

September 14, 2017, 02:54 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Very good friends of mine lost their jobs for no reason other than they could not get their teams to sell enough protection agreements.

Why do you think all these places push them so hard, they MAKE them push them or be fired. It's such bullshit. Frown

September 14, 2017, 03:22 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Very good friends of mine lost their jobs for no reason other than they could not get their teams to sell enough protection agreements.

Why do you think all these places push them so hard, they MAKE them push them or be fired. It's such bullshit. Frown

They are very high profit sales. The margin is much higher than on the product itself. Why shouldn't Sears be free to motivate its sales staff to sell high margin products? Sales goals are not uncommon. Sears and its salesmen freely entered into the employment relationship, and it is an at-will relationship. There is no foul there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 14, 2017, 04:08 PM
Eponym
And you have to remember an extended warranty is typically not in addition to the original, it's concurrent with the original.

If the original warranty is for 1 year and the extended is for 2 years, you might think you would be covered for 3 years, but you're really only covered for 2 years. You pay for 1 additional year of coverage that is advertised as a 2-year warranty.

I think this practice is deliberately misleading. Such is the world of marketing. Mad
September 14, 2017, 07:08 PM
mke229
I skip the store warranties.

Check your credit card fine print to see if your particular card extends the mfg. warranty automatically. A lot of cards do. There are exclusions of course. But I found it useful when we had a dryer control board go out two weeks after mfg. warranty expired. I sent a copy of the purchase receipt and some short paperwork to visa and had a check back for the part cost in a couple weeks.
September 14, 2017, 11:47 PM
heisrizn

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/j6YEpXS_ugU

September 17, 2017, 12:05 PM
BadDogPSD
We recently purchased a CPO Acura, finance guy offers an extended warranty called the 'Plus One' , 12 months, 12,000 miles. Normal price $3800, for us only $1800. Really? $1800 for another year?

Like guns, Love Sigs