SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Speakerphone in the office environment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speakerphone in the office environment Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Oh, goodness. Where to start? Oh, I know! At work!

Good grief. Yes, the speakerphone is a good invention. It's handy. It's practical. It allows us to use both hands to work on something while someone on the other end guides us through it (I used this feature just today, working on some broken test equipment). It allows us to have a group of people on one end take part in a conversation with a group on the other. It's got its value, I won't deny that at all.

However...

Speakerphone is not an excuse to lean way back in your comfy office chair and shout into it, trying to overcome the noise around your office because you can't be bothered to get up and shut your door before making the call. It may be convenient for you, the caller, but it absolutely stinks for the person you've called. Especially when your phone is not really a good one to begin with.

Grr!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My beef was always the loss of any privacy regarding your side of the conversation. Anyone nearby can listen in.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That, too.

I do have one person who will respond as soon as I answer, "You're on speaker! Behave!"

I do appreciate that heads-up. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy fix to this. As soon as you realize the other person is on SP, begin talking to him/her and when he/she answers back pause slightly and go 'hello?'. They'll repeat what they just said. Do it again. When they pick up go 'Oh, there you are'. Works 90-some% of the time.

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I do not understand speakerphone in any environment unless you are in an enclosed space where no person can hear. It baffles me when people do this at work or people do it with their cell phone in public.

I really find the cell phone in public strange. They are still holding the phone in their hand, which is on speakerphone, and hold it close to their head having a conversation with the person so all can hear both sides. How hard is it to move the phone a few inches more to your ear and have a private conversation? I see this a lot in stores.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ I've never understood the holding your cellphone to your mouth while on speakerphone thing, either. I always have a chuckle when I see someone using earbuds with the built-in mic but also hold the phone up to their mouth because they're too stupid to realize there's a mic in the cord.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I always have a chuckle when I see someone using earbuds with the built-in mic but also hold the phone up to their mouth because they're too stupid to realize there's a mic in the cord.

This one, I understand a little bit. On the cheap earbuds I have, the mic is too far "down the line," so to speak -- it hangs below my chin and anyone I'm talking to doesn't hear me well. If there were an inch less cord between the left earbud and the mic, it would hang in "just the right place."

God bless America.

Duke of Detroit
posted Hide Post
I like to watch the dummies talking using the speaker on a smart phone, and see them talking into the earpiece of the phone, instead of the bottom where the the mic is. Roll Eyes

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Posts: 1047 | Location: Detroit, MICHIGAN | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I always have a chuckle when I see someone using earbuds with the built-in mic but also hold the phone up to their mouth because they're too stupid to realize there's a mic in the cord.

This one, I understand a little bit. On the cheap earbuds I have, the mic is too far "down the line," so to speak -- it hangs below my chin and anyone I'm talking to doesn't hear me well. If there were an inch less cord between the left earbud and the mic, it would hang in "just the right place."

Except the mic in the cord overrides the mic built into the phone, so the dimwits who hold the phone to their mouths instead of the earbud mic aren’t doing themselves or the person they’re talking with any good!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Oh! Apologies! I misread that. I missed the part about people holding the phone up to their mouths while using earbuds. Yes, that's pretty danged silly.

God bless America.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
We had ("had" being the operative word here) who would use his speaker phone, loud, and talk loudly to prove to management not only was he doing his job but by virtue of NEEDING to use his speaker phone he deserved to have an office.

The concept of using the provided headset never dawned on him because he DESERVED an office.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I call retail locations of my company as part of my job. If they use speakerphone, I have them pick up & they get the Riot Act. 99% of the time I am discussing things customer do not need to hear. Pisses me off to no end. I don't need customers chiming in either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I do not understand speakerphone in any environment unless you are in an enclosed space where no person can hear. It baffles me when people do this at work or people do it with their cell phone in public.

I really find the cell phone in public strange. They are still holding the phone in their hand, which is on speakerphone, and hold it close to their head having a conversation with the person so all can hear both sides. How hard is it to move the phone a few inches more to your ear and have a private conversation? I see this a lot in stores.

Speakers are louder in volume, and as a legally deaf person it is easier to understand when I cannot get them to text or E-mail me, which is really the only safe way to assume I understand the message.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post