SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Driving Fast in a Store Parking Lot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving Fast in a Store Parking Lot Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Co-worker crashed his Ford ranger into a baluster in a Krogers parking lot. It bent the bumper and busted the grill and one headlight. He had to be going too fast but that wasn't the primary cause. He admitted to me he was watching the rear of a particularly attractive female walking to the front door.

I harassed him pretty dang hard about it, after all it could have been a person he hit!

I have no idea what he told his wife about the damage but I would bet it wasn't what he confided to me!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
here in Wickenburg just the opposite will drive you crazy:

person with right of way, stops, motions other driver to proceed

person without right of way, motions other driver to proceed

ad infinitum, meanwhile you are behind one of them.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewIse6lNjro

Love that guy. He's a genius.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Love that guy. He's a genius.
We used to go listen to him at "open mike" night at a local pub in Chicago. Early 1970s if I remember correctly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There are no long i’s in John Prine’s world, it’s “tahm,” “fahn,” “mahn,” etc. Big Grin

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
There are no long i’s in John Prine’s world, it’s “tahm,” “fahn,” “mahn,” etc. Big Grin
I believe that he is a genuine country boy from Kentucky, grew up where people spoke like that.

I have an acquaintance from that part of the country. He has a couple of post-graduate degrees, uses proper grammar, but his pronunciation is very much like that. It took me a while before I could really understand everything that he said.

I have a good friend with a very strong Boston accent. I have sometimes wondered what would happen if we put Boston guy and Kentucky guy in a room without a third party to translate.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that he is a genuine country boy from Kentucky, grew up where people spoke like that.

Nope, John is a Chicago guy, born and raised. Obviously he has been around.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You should see the Wawa convenience stores around here, would think it was the Indy 500. I never could understand people who fly through and around parking lots, ESPECIALLY ones like that where people are always stepping out in front of you or backing out of spots.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You should see the Wawa convenience stores around here, would think it was the Indy 500. I never could understand people who fly through and around parking lots, ESPECIALLY ones like that where people are always stepping out in front of you or backing out of spots.
I've stopped going to almost all Wawa's during the week.

And on the weekends I avoid the ones where the parking lots were designed by pissed off civil engineers.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Nope, John is a Chicago guy, born and raised. Obviously he has been around.
I guess I was thinking about one of his songs:
quote:
From "Paradise" by John Prine:

When I was a child my family would travel
Down to Western Kentucky where my parents were born

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I am originally from Chicago, and was familiar with his background. He is certainly one of a kind.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
https://thelivingstonpost.com/...n-livingston-county/

Kroger should be #1. Preferred way to park is to find two lengthwise spaces and pull through. It's the only safe way to maneuver that lot.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for posting this. Made me think of the parking lots here that have some of the same problems. What were the engineers thinking??? Our Post office is crowded and has limited angle parking as well. The grocery store lot has a steep decline to the storefront. A little wind and the carts are off to the races into the store or your car if you are foolish enough to park close to the entrance.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
https://thelivingstonpost.com/...n-livingston-county/

Kroger should be #1. Preferred way to park is to find two lengthwise spaces and pull through. It's the only safe way to maneuver that lot.

That's funny right there. I've been to two of those. I have two uncles that live in Brighton.

On the other hand, one of the many nice things about Northern Michigan is parking spaces that my long bed, crew cab pickup actually fit it. Went to see Solo in Cheboygan last night and parked in the lot across the street from the theater. No problem. Plenty of room to open the doors with out worrying about banging into the dually next to me.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Going through some old dash cam footage and I found one that illustrates two parking lot peeves in a row.

First, watch they guy in the truck in front of me cut through the marked parking spaces and cut off someome in a Ford Flex.

Then watch a Mustang going the wrong way turn to avoid one car and swerve into on coming traffic, me. The Mustang driver is a bagger at the store.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I see is a blur. They must have been hauling ass.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or the ones who drive behind you, when your backup lights are on and you're halfway out of your space.

LOL. You brought back a wonderful memory.

I was at Lowes getting staples for a Range Day, in the unmarked patrol car I had for a few years. Pulling out carefully and a kid in a red, older Camaro, speeding by, just about hits me. Then yells... "ASSHOLE" .

I backed out and he was stuck at the light at the exit. Stopped him a block later, as he is trying to stuff all sorts of pot pipes, plastic bags and other assorted stuff under the seat.

Asked him.... "Where You talking to ME" ?

No insurance so I towed the car....it sat at the SO impound lot for like a year and was finally sold at auction. He also got pinched for the marijuana and other crap he had.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
No fix for stupid.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Or the ones who drive behind you, when your backup lights are on and you're halfway out of your space.

LOL. You brought back a wonderful memory.

I was at Lowes getting staples for a Range Day, in the unmarked patrol car I had for a few years. Pulling out carefully and a kid in a red, older Camaro, speeding by, just about hits me. Then yells... "ASSHOLE" .

I backed out and he was stuck at the light at the exit. Stopped him a block later, as he is trying to stuff all sorts of pot pipes, plastic bags and other assorted stuff under the seat.

Asked him.... "Where You talking to ME" ?

No insurance so I towed the car....it sat at the SO impound lot for like a year and was finally sold at auction. He also got pinched for the marijuana and other crap he had.

Big Grin

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post