SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Comcast.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comcast..... Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Interesting: Original Poster came back for a second post and clarified -- he is talking about the wifi signal at Xfinity Hot Spots, found at locations around town. Evidently a paid service.
Re: Clarification: Not really. "Xfinity WiFi" might refer either to the WiFi router Xfinity supplied to him as part of his service at home or to Xfinity's WiFi HotSpots made available to qualifying customers.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Here is what he said, verbatim (copy and paste). It's about the seventh or eighth post, in this thread.

"It's an Xfinity "Hot Spot". Xfinity Hot Spots are located thru out Tucson. Clients can log on by buying air time. From one hour to 30 days. I usually purchase a 30 day air time."

That seems pretty clear to me. He is talking about public hot spot type wifi, not wifi at home via a router that he can control.

I stand corrected. In my defence: I looked at the second of his posts, which is how you referenced it, not the third, which is where he wrote that.

Now, understanding that, I'll say this: Relying on Comcast Xfinity HotSpot service for Internet connectivity is an exercise in masochism, IMO. That service is created primarily by customer WiFi routers, supplied by Comcast/Xfinity, AIUI. E.g.: If I'd had Comcast put in a WiFi router/cablemodem when I'd had my service upgraded, my home would be housing a Comcast HotSpot.

Thus all it would take, GWbiker, for your Comcast/Xfinity HotSpot signal to go south is a nearby customer's service go down for any reason whatsoever. E.g.: Cablemodem dies, they discontinue service, they switch to their own cablemodem/router or a non-WiFi leased model, they move the thing, they turn the public access bit off (which on some can be done--although it reportedly will turn itself back on in some cases, on some models), etc.

I purposely chose a non-WiFi router/cablemodem because I explicitly did not want to become a Comcast/Xfinity HotSpot. If I'd had no option, the verkakte thing would've been moved to a Faraday-shielded box in a corner of the concrete-walled basement.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called the A holes three times to quit filling my mailbox with their B.S. , but they are nothing if not determined

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I called the A holes three times to quit filling my mailbox with their B.S. , but they are nothing if not determined

Get a custom stamp (from staples? ) which reads
"RETURN TO SENDER
Rejected by Recipient"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Get a custom stamp (from staples? ) which reads
"RETURN TO SENDER
Rejected by Recipient"

If the junk mail includes a self postage envelop, mail it back to them. Enclose some other clippings, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post