SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Comcast.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comcast..... Login/Join 
posted
..purchased Xfinity WiFi a few years ago. Prior to that, I had good WiFi service. Any issue with signals were quickly resolved with a phone call to Texas and talk with an English speaking techie. Any unresolved problems were handled with a credit card refund the same day.

I was happy with Xfinity WiFi...

Until Comcast put their fingers in the pie. Signal problems? I make a phone call to Comcast and they cannot find my account. I give them my phone number, last name, billing address.....they no can find they tell me.

So, once again, I will call my CC company and reverse charge my card....since I don't have an account with Comcast/Xfinity.

Grrrr..

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ok, I am going to admit something that is hard for me, something that may get my man card revoked, something personal.......SO DON’T JUDGE ME!! Smile

Anyhoo....on road trips my wife and I would listen to audio books. Usually a book for me and a book for her. Usually Clancy or somesuch for me.

Well we started listening to Janet Evanovich books years ago (one for the money, two to get deadly etc. etc.). Basically chick book about a bumbling bail jumper hunter. I confess I love them.

Anyway one of the books, I don’t remember which, she had an issue with the cable company and it comes up all over the book, friends, enemies, ancillary characters etc. in each case the scene would stop and the character would mutter about the cable company “Those Fuckers!”

To this day whenever we have to deal with Comcast my wife and I utter “Those Fuckers”.

I have read some on my own...... Frown. Just tell me where to address the man card revocation to and I will get right on it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Xfinity WiFi

So is the problem "wi-fi" or "Comcast"?
That is the question?
Wi-Fi is a dynamic issue meaning there can be m-a-n-y issues affecting performance.
Of course if it is an Internet issue then that could be separate from Wi-Fi.
And I know,,,I know,,, it wasn't doing XXXX before .....
Also just to let you know some/many/most WI-FI issues are something that Comcast cannot fix or are responsible for.
Just saying you (or someone) needs to isolate the problem.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Xfinity WiFi

So is the problem "wi-fi" or "Comcast"?
That is the question?
Wi-Fi is a dynamic issue meaning there can be m-a-n-y issues affecting performance.
Of course if it is an Internet issue then that could be separate from Wi-Fi.
And I know,,,I know,,, it wasn't doing XXXX before .....
Also just to let you know some/many/most WI-FI issues are something that Comcast cannot fix or are responsible for.
Just saying you (or someone) needs to isolate the problem.
Good Luck.

The problem was the WiFi signal was erratic. Would suddenly disappear at times, sometimes in middle of my writing a text.

My problems began when I had to contact Comcast, which owns Xfinity and Comcast had no knowledge of my account. I called only phone number listed for tech service, an 866 number which got me a girl in the Philippines. Second number I tried, an 800 number got me an English speaking person who couldn't find my account.

Since Comcast had no info of my account, which was paid with CC, they could not fix my WiFi signal problem 'cause I don't exist, according to CS and tech I spoke with. BTW, CC monthly statement has payment going to Comcast in Pennsylvania.

This morning I have a strong signal. This afternoon, who knows?

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to replace the Xfinity router that is supplying your WiFi signal. Or buy your own router/access point and disable the WiFi from the Xfinity router.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

The problem was the WiFi signal was erratic.
Would suddenly disappear at times, sometimes in middle of my writing a text.

This morning I have a strong signal.
This afternoon, who knows?

I can't help you with Comcast not knowing or finding your account info.

However, losing a wi-fi connection is fixable
Still it could be a number of things.
Start with:
1) is the issue with 'other' wi-fi devices to? or just one device?
2) is there "interference"? this could be:
> co channel aka other wifi on the same/band/channel
> physical interference due to the physical placement of the AP or objects between it and the intended device.
3) configuration issues that could be contributing to the problem.

FYI, I had a corporate client that his laptop was connecting to an unsecured device next door and was severely restricting the performance. It works but not the connection he was supposed to be using. His device was configured incorrectly.

I had another one who had moved their computer from upstairs to downstairs.
It saw nothing but come to find out the antenna was not attached (desktop).
It worked fine upstairs right next to his router/ap but nada when it moved > simple solution was just the antenna.

Normally, a lot of phones now have quality apps available to determine what other wifi units are competing as well as the ability to determine what channel they are including RSSI (signal strength).
I use a bit more sophisticated program for such that is seen on my tablet.
Unless you know what is going on around you, you will never really fix it except by accident.

Good Luck.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I believe all Xfinity routers come set up to be a wide-open Hot Spot by default.
That's something that's easily disabled and will keep people from using your bandwidth.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
Sounds like you need to replace the Xfinity router that is supplying your WiFi signal. Or buy your own router/access point and disable the WiFi from the Xfinity router.

It's an Xfinity "Hot Spot". Xfinity Hot Spots are located thru out Tucson. Clients can log on by buying air time. From one hour to 30 days. I usually purchase a 30 day air time.

WiFi signal is pretty strong and constant today.

THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
ive been a Comcast customer on autopay for years. great speed and service. Xfinity1 platform. We called about our internet wifi and they came and swapped out our modem to a newer version. its in the basement which doesnt help the signal. Do you have the opportunity to go to an office? I did that a couple of years ago to swap out my bedroom box. You could ask face to face? What about your Modem ID number? give that to them and maybe they can pull you up by that? I dont know other than I get great cable and fast internet. Yes I pay money for it, but its reliable and good. my .02. sigguy(the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
To this day whenever we have to deal with Comcast my wife and I utter “Those Fuckers”.

"Blucher!"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
dont use xfinity router buy your own xfinity routers automatically put out a public wifi signal it kills your bandwidth

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would turn off all built-in wi-fi including any of the "hotspot" crap and use your own AP.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Interesting: Original Poster came back for a second post and clarified -- he is talking about the wifi signal at Xfinity Hot Spots, found at locations around town. Evidently a paid service.

Multiple responses, after that clarification, have suggested that he either exchange the router, buy a different router, etc.

Doesn't anybody actually read previous posts before jumping in with irrelevant suggestions?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I tried the Hot Pockets one time.

Followed the directions explicitly, and found that it was scalding hot and blistered my tongue and bottom lip, but nearly broke a tooth on the solid frozen center.

And the "gastro" problems later.

No more. From now on, I'll stick with ramen noodles.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Interesting: Original Poster came back for a second post and clarified -- he is talking about the wifi signal at Xfinity Hot Spots, found at locations around town. Evidently a paid service.

Multiple responses, after that clarification, have suggested that he either exchange the router, buy a different router, etc.

Doesn't anybody actually read previous posts before jumping in with irrelevant suggestions?

Very common occurrence but puzzling nonetheless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Followed the directions explicitly, and found that it was scalding hot and blistered my tongue and bottom lip, but nearly broke a tooth on the solid frozen center.

You need more Tabasco for it to be as hot as what the OP is.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

A good one....LMAO.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Re: Clarification: Not really. "Xfinity WiFi" might refer either to the WiFi router Xfinity supplied to him as part of his service at home or to Xfinity's WiFi HotSpots made available to qualifying customers.

Btw: Comcast has owned Xfinity since Day 1. It's a Comcast brand. Always has been.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Re: Clarification: Not really. "Xfinity WiFi" might refer either to the WiFi router Xfinity supplied to him as part of his service at home or to Xfinity's WiFi HotSpots made available to qualifying customers.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Here is what he said, verbatim (copy and paste). It's about the seventh or eighth post, in this thread.

"It's an Xfinity "Hot Spot". Xfinity Hot Spots are located thru out Tucson. Clients can log on by buying air time. From one hour to 30 days. I usually purchase a 30 day air time."

That seems pretty clear to me. He is talking about public hot spot type wifi, not wifi at home via a router that he can control.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Here is what he said, verbatim (copy and paste). It's about the seventh or eighth post, in this thread.

"It's an Xfinity "Hot Spot". Xfinity Hot Spots are located thru out Tucson. Clients can log on by buying air time. From one hour to 30 days. I usually purchase a 30 day air time."

That seems pretty clear to me. He is talking about public hot spot type wifi, not wifi at home via a router that he can control.

Since I now have a Hot Spot signal...

Latest update:

I incorrectly assumed that Comcast took over Xfinity recently judging by my CC invoices of early 2017 which listed Xfinity and their toll free number in Texas.

So, I dialed that number and received tech service and a human being (male) in Texas within 10 seconds.

Tech there told me they no longer supply tech service to Hot Spot customers, which is now handled by Comcast. Getting tech service from Comcast is a major PITA.

There is the problem.

I already contacted my CC company to reverse charges due to lack of service. BTDT successfully last year.

Comcast does know me as I receive direct junk mail asking me to bundle phone and Internet.

Comcast mailing go into the shredder.