SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Paper Bags Flour is Sold In
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Paper Bags Flour is Sold In Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Why do you suppose, after all these years, that flour is still sold in the same folded and glued paper bag? The bag that can’t be opened without tearing the bag and spilling flour. I don’t get it, packaging has been changed, in some way, for almost everything else.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sugar is the same way.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Sugar is the same way.

I always open a bag of sugar over the trash can.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I don't (usually...) have a problem with the bags.

What aggravates me is sugar that has been exposed to enough humidity/moisture to turn the whole bag into one 5 pound lump.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You should consider buying a pair of scissors. Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You should consider buying a pair of scissors. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
While we’re at it why is the flour canister/container that’s part of the dry good set only able to hold exactly one bag of flour? This means you have to be out entirely before you refill it. How about it hold 1.5 bags worth, that way you can refill before being completeky out? First world problems!

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Why do you suppose, after all these years, that flour is still sold in the same folded and glued paper bag?

Interesting that I had the same discussion with my wife a couple of days ago. Not only is it difficult to open the bags without tearing them, at best a little flour (or sugar) will have escaped at the top and will always spill no matter what.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ants gotta eat, same as worms.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Why do you suppose, after all these years, that flour is still sold in the same folded and glued paper bag? The bag that can’t be opened without tearing the bag and spilling flour. I don’t get it, packaging has been changed, in some way, for almost everything else.

Yeah, we now have packaging that require the use of scissors or tin snips to open. Try opening a bag of potato chips or a blister pack for examples. So, is spilling a tiny bit of flour a worse inconvenience than having to take a trip to the ER to get stitched up because you were foolish enough to try opening a blister pack with a box cutter.

To be blunt I LOATHE modern packaging. If you thinks it's better it's obvious that you aren't old enough to remember when ALL packaging could be opened easily with bare hands. BTW, I'm old enough to remember when breakfast cereal was packaged in a wax paper bag that was simply folded over inside the box. If you want easy opening it really doesn't get much better than that.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Paper flour sacks are about as minimalist packaging as you can get.

I don't use canister sets, especially for flour. Most don't seal, and can't keep out weevils and such.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If I'm just getting the 5#ers, I go for the Wheat Montana brand that comes in the plastic bags with a ziplock closure. Great flour and great packaging. You might see if you can get it down there.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm old enough to remember when breakfast cereal was packaged in a wax paper bag that was simply folded over inside the box. If you want easy opening it really doesn't get much better than that.

When did that change? Guess I dont eat cereal anymore.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

<spits stream of tobacco> I see what you did there....

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
While we’re at it why is the flour canister/container that’s part of the dry good set only able to hold exactly one bag of flour? This means you have to be out entirely before you refill it. How about it hold 1.5 bags worth, that way you can refill before being completeky out? First world problems!

Could be that maybe the fact that flour does have a shelf life, and that just topping off a near empty container can mean you can possibly have several year old flour at the bottom.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yes! I wholeheartedly support switching to something that helps my stock portfolio. The chemical division of integrated oil & gas companies make the base chemicals and sometimes the actual poly sheets that are used for modern packaging.
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Sugar is the same way.

I always open a bag of sugar over the trash can.
My Texas grocer has their own store brand and sells in these bags:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I don't (usually...) have a problem with the bags.

What aggravates me is sugar that has been exposed to enough humidity/moisture to turn the whole bag into one 5 pound lump.

FIVE POUNDS!!! Check that agin, I’ve only seen 4pounder for about three years now, here in TX and back in NC....just remember, they F you thru the drive thru.

And I’m with the OP on this...I shouldn’t need a damn tin snip to get into some sugar

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ten pounds at ruralking for less than $4.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post