SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sold my 'vette
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sold my 'vette Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
Finally grew up and sold my 2006 Corvette Z51 coupe. Owned it for 6 years and 50k miles. It survived three serious girlfriends, an entire group of fake-ass friends, an enlistment, a deployment, and a bunch of good memories. Sad to see her go.

However... it was worth it. Paid off my truck and my credit card and stuck the rest in savings. Going to put a few bucks doing a couple things on my truck and bank the rest. I really want to buy a dirt bike, but I think I'll survive another year without one.

This adulting shit is kinda lame, but it's nice not being broke all the time.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
I sold my 1998 Vette to replace the roof on my house. The next year hail destroyed the roof and two sides of my house, replaced by insurance.

Frown

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I had a C6 Vette for about five years, but I just wasn't driving it enough and sold it. It was a fun car though and I am glad to have had the chance to own it. Sounds like you made the right move in this case.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This makes no sense to me. How can you outgrow a midlife crisis car?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

You buy a bigger, faster one to replace it.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I had a 2003 Z06 for about 5 years. What a fun car it was!

I was sorry to get rid of it but it was 11 years old at the time I got rid of it and the repairs were starting to add up. I did all the work myself so I couldn't imagine how much someone would spend if they had to pay someone else.

Told my wife that I wanted to get another Z06 one day but the older I get, I find myself wanting one less and less. Maybe it's the practicality in me, maybe it's a money thing. I'm not sure.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I don't know the OP's age, but I'm guessing he's a bit younger than mid-life. There's the problem. Corvettes are meant to be viewed from afar as a young man and purchased later in life. Only then can they be fully appreciated. (Hair loss, gut acquisition, and gold chains are optional).

BTW: I bought mine at 46. Smile

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just bought my sixth (07 roadster) in April this spring. I am 61.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
They are great cars! I bought it for my 22nd birthday present to myself. I'm 28 now... still awhile until my mid-life crisis, if I ever have one. I never thought I'd live to see my 24th birthday (and only by blind luck managed to), so I view every day after that as a gift.

MNSIG, I definitely appreciated mine. It was just time to move on.

There will be another in the future, either a C6 ZR1, C7 Z06, a mid-year coupe, or a chrome bumper C3. For now, if I want to go fast, my CBR1000RR scratches the itch rather well.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, my wife says I have outgrown my motorcycles...or maybe she said I am too old to ride them anymore? So far, no sale.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sold my STI (well modded) to put money in the house. I had signed contracts on almost 20k worth of work when I figure out I need to pier the slab also. 15k estimate I got down to 10k.
The child in me cried, the adult in me said suck it up sissy. Life is a bitch then you die.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you let that beauty go.

I think about selling my 2016 Mustang 5.0 all the time due to freeing up expenses, the pain in the ass of two cars, etc. My girlfriend always talks me out of it.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
Sorry to hear you let that beauty go.

I think about selling my 2016 Mustang 5.0 all the time due to freeing up expenses, the pain in the ass of two cars, etc. My girlfriend always talks me out of it.

Yeah, I talked myself out of it three summers in a row. I honestly wish I'd done it sooner. It was paid off long ago, but the maintenance was starting to add up, not to mention $100 in insurance every month for a car I never drove.

Plus, I got rid of my $400/mo truck payment. These are significant monthly sums when you are living on the GI Bill and actively avoiding gainful employment in the interest of good grades (and fishing, hunting, etc).

Mo money = mo ammo and other fun stuff.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have 2003 Couple, it was my wife's DD when we lived in NJ. She was 53 at the time but won't drive it here in UT. It needs to go but I'd just replace it with something else I don't need.

At your age someday you'll be back in one.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost bought a 2017 Vette but reality set in and I decided to put the 50K I would have spent on a Vette towards my mortgage. I'm going to pay the mortgage off in January 2018 and the money I save not paying interest over the next 27 years I can buy a Vette with.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
BTDT. We sold a '96 Cobra we'd had since new after about 11 years. Thought we could live without a hooligan car for a while. A year later I knew it wasn't just me when my wife called me up with a lead on a smoking deal on an '08 M3. I didn't even know we were back in the market! Razz

Still have it, and don't plan to let this one go. Take home message is don't marry an enabler I guess.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I bought this the beginning of July for my birthday

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:

Sick! Love the color. Manual or auto?

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:

Sick! Love the color. Manual or auto?

Auto, I hate traffic and honestly won't deal with a stick.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 71 T-Top bought in 1974 for $3500. Sold it in 1990 for $9000. Only car I ever made money on. Silver with red interior and I added Dayton chrome spoked wire wheels. It was hot looking. I used to say everyone should buy at least one Vette just to prove to themselves it's not a good idea but it proved me wrong. Great car .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post