SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can anything else go wrong today???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anything else go wrong today??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Gramps finds zero reason to get out of bed anymore except if the great grand kids are coming over. Well we’re two hours away so we don’t get to do it often enough. I had the day off so I figured I would take the youngest to see him.
Told granny we would be up about 10. Gramps had an ENT visit at the VA scheduled early but would be home shortly after 10. No worries part of my trip was to install a digital keypad on the back door and add another Arlo camera to their system. I’ll just do that while I wait.
It rained the entire drive!!!
On the drive up my, two day old, wireless charging cradle decided to die (more on that later).
I start unboxing the Arlo add on camera. Try to pair it to the base station using my linked account to granny’s main account. No dice, I try on my phone and her iPad. Ohh well, must need her phone and main account not my linked account. Granny calls and says there has been a mix up and they scheduled him with a standard practitioner, not the ENT. They are waiting to see how long it will be. No worries I am just working on the projects and the boy is playing happily and eating apple sauce.
I give up on the Arlo and move to the digital keypad install which goes smoothly. Try fooling with the Arlo again and no dice. I see the front porch cam battery is low. Drag out the ladder pull it down and put it on the charger.
Granny gave up waiting on the ENT and brought gramps home so he could see the boy (that sure made his day making the trip all with it).
I try pairing the Arlo with granny’s main account with no dice again so I call tech support. Spend an hour and a half on the phone with them. To come to the conclusion the brand new camera is defective and need a new one! Great, not sure the next time I’ll make it up there to set it up.
So we hang out with gramps for awhile. Off to a late lunch with my brother and Dad (have to get as many visits in as I can when I am up there). Get to lunch and my step mother is there too they are excited as they did not know the boy was coming. Another reason for the trip was to pick up a hand me down Apple Watch since Dad upgraded.
I joked that with my luck today with the charger dying and the Arlo not working the Apple Watch won’t work either.
So I drive home in the rain the boy sleeps. Get home and shoot off an email to the folks I bought the charger from with a video. Millie (my customer service rep in the Philippines her email signature says) replies, no problem just ship it back to this address in CHINA on your dime and we’ll send you another. Or if you don’t want ship it to China we’ll refund you $5 or your $30 that you paid and call it even!
No way is my reply! Have not heard back from Millie so I am forseeing a Visa chargeback.
Anyway have some Salmon and salad (at least that was delicious).
Time to play with the Apple Watch. Says I need to download and install the new OS on the watch. No deal do all that stuff.
Now it is time to pair the watch to my phone, the little exploding firefly globe thingy appears on the watch face and the little box on the phone to match it up. I hold it there for quite some time with no dice!! I know it is generally a rather quick process as I just got my wife one this weekend and set it up for her. This is just not pairing. Close the app and try again. Nope! So I click the manually paid option. Phone quickly finds the watch name and I click continue. Phone asks for the 6 digit code displayed on the watch.
No 6 digit code is ever displayed on the watch.
I reset the watch, uninstall the app on the phone and try again.
Same results won’t pair!
No time to mess with it. Now I am putting the youngest boy to bed and he is all snuggled up next to me while I type this.
So it all could be much worse just a little frustrated with technology at the moment.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You inherited the watch. Did Dad un-pair it? If not, you are dead in the water until he does that.

You don't need to make a trip, he does not need the watch to be physically present in order to un-pair it. He can do it from the watch app on his phone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You inherited the watch. Did Dad un-pair it? If not, you are dead in the water until he does that.

You don't need to make a trip, he does not need the watch to be physically present in order to un-pair it. He can do it from the watch app on his phone.

Yup. Unpaired and factory reset

————————————————

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Here I thought gramps was going down. Lots else could go wrong.
But I hear your frustration on technology when it doesn’t work..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
my wife must have followed you around all day. She has an aura that makes all electronics malfunction and/or die.

IT folks have often been heard to say "I've never seen this happen before" when helping her at the office...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There are days when everything one touches seems to go south. Sorry your day was one of those.

Conversely, there are occasionally days when one has the Midas touch and those days are when you want to jump on all possible projects to take advantage. Hopefully you'll have one of those kinds of days soonest!

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
As far as the Apple watch goes, I had a similar thing happen. I sold an Apple watch online, and unpaired it and did a factory reset. But didn't remove it from find my watch in the phone settings. This prevented him from setting up the watch. Could this be your problem?

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the deal was with the watch.
I reset the watch multiple times and deleted the app off the phone and reinstalled multiple times and it finally paired.

————————————————