SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ughhhh
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ughhhh Login/Join 
Picture of GTO
posted
My daughter took it to the dealer for a "Check Engine Light" issue. Dealer said it needs a new catalytic converter and 3 oxygen sensors. "That will be $3700.00 plus tax" Customer declined. Unbelievable

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
buy the o2's, get a couple universal high-flow cats and take it to an exhaust shop. I'd be willing to bet you can get it done for under a grand.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Mitsubishi is a morally bankrupt company. They covered up seatbelt issues in Japan and make absolute shit currently.

Your daughter should be able to fix it with aftermarket parts for less than that. Then I would recommend unloading the POS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I was thinking some sensors and a quality turbo back (if it's FI) exhaust can't be more than $1200 and you get the performance upgrade. Razz

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I was thinking some sensors and a quality turbo back (if it's FI) exhaust can't be more than $1200 and you get the performance upgrade. Razz

Guessing standard Lancer, not an Evo. Either way, definitely a rip at $3700.
Rockauto for the sensors & a new cat, shouldn't be bad & should be easy DIY.
Showing 350 for the cat & 40-100 per O2 sensor; for a 2.0l non-turbo Lancer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They aren't called "Stealerships" for nothing!

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Mitsubishi is a morally bankrupt company.

My wife would laugh at me all the time because for years everytime their name came up I would relentlessly rag on them for selling the used high-tech milling machines to the Soviet Union so that their submarine propellers would run silent and we'd be screwed trying to track them. (Toshiba too). They tried to hide it but got caught and fined by the Reagan administration. If I needed to bolster my argument I toss in that they made the Zeros in WW2 as well.

Finally I realized I was sounding like an old man ranting and figured that was quite some time in the past so just shut up on it. So I did. I've bought Hondas and Toyotas, but won't buy a Mitsubishi.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I would
(1) confirm the diagnosis of O2 sensors.
(2) if confirmed, replace only the O2 sensors actually showing a code.
(3) Drive without replacing the cat con. Unless an overly rich mixture over some time of operation has plugged the catalyst bed, why replace it?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. The car seems to run well. I will give an update hopefully tomorrow.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an 08 lancer when they first came out in 07.... dealership sold me remote start aftermarket alarm with vehicle, because remote start is amazing when it's 115 outside I opted for it even though I knew I could get it at audio store A LOT cheaper. After about 2000 miles a fuse blew and car wouldn't come out of park (I know I could've just used to shift override thing) but it came with roadside so I just called them and had it towed to dealer. Once they looked at it they called me and told me the alarm had popped a fuse and it was $200 to replace the fuse because it had an aftermarket alarm that caused the issue... WHAT?!? You guys installed the alarm... so finally after contacting the manager they decided they weren't going to charge me to fix it, but he made sure he told me that if it happens again they wouldn't cover it... luckily it never happened again because I would have had an issue on my hands because there was no way I'm paying to fix a problem that a dealer installed alarm caused after only a couple thousand miles...bastards charged me like $900 for an alarm I could get at any stereo shop for 400-500 installed probably less the only reason I bought it from them was because it was a brand new car and didn't want them to have that "aftermarket" excuse for any warranty issues... I guess they were going to do it anyways so I should've saved the 400-500 on the alarm.... stealerships suck!

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
A VW dealer put one in a new VW Beetle we bought years ago. It caused a failure to start several times. finally had them pull it back out.

During WWII, Toyota built trucks for the Japanese military. Mercedes was one of the biggest aircraft engine manufactures for the German air force. During World War II, BMW manufactured war materials for the German military. Beginning in 1942, BMW began to employ POWs from Eastern Europe as well as forced laborers from Western Europe. These workers worked alongside prisoners from Nazi concentration camps. All of the workers in these plants worked in conditions that are considered to be inhumane.

During World War II, the Volkswagen plant is primarily used to produce military vehicles, including the SUV-like Kübelwagen and the amphibious Schwimmwagen. By 1943, more than 12,000 prisoners of war are working at the factory, most of them repairing aircraft and building V1 rockets to bomb Britain.

Guess you really can't buy anything then these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ircraft_-_Axis_-_All

I'm surprised they even still bother making autos. it's a relatively small part of their overall operations.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dealer said it needs a new catalytic converter and 3 oxygen sensors.

I'd get a second opinion. Unless this has been going on for a long time and progressive damage or some kind of cascade failure occurred, all of them failing at once is unusual. And although it is possible it might have three sensors, a four-cylinder engine, with only one bank of cylinders, usually has two, one upstream and one downstream of the cat.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Dealer said it needs a new catalytic converter and 3 oxygen sensors.

I'd get a second opinion. Unless this has been going on for a long time and progressive damage or some kind of cascade failure occurred, all of them failing at once is unusual. And although it is possible it might have three sensors, a four-cylinder engine, with only one bank of cylinders, usually has two, one upstream and one downstream of the cat.

Wow that'd be super dirty for them to try and sell something your car doesn't even have lol!

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
How many miles on the car? Clean air act states you get 8 years or 80,000 miles warranty on the catalytic converter, whichever comes first.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
A VW dealer put one in a new VW Beetle we bought years ago. It caused a failure to start several times. finally had them pull it back out.

During WWII, Toyota built trucks for the Japanese military. Mercedes was one of the biggest aircraft engine manufactures for the German air force. During World War II, BMW manufactured war materials for the German military. Beginning in 1942, BMW began to employ POWs from Eastern Europe as well as forced laborers from Western Europe. These workers worked alongside prisoners from Nazi concentration camps. All of the workers in these plants worked in conditions that are considered to be inhumane.

During World War II, the Volkswagen plant is primarily used to produce military vehicles, including the SUV-like Kübelwagen and the amphibious Schwimmwagen. By 1943, more than 12,000 prisoners of war are working at the factory, most of them repairing aircraft and building V1 rockets to bomb Britain.

Guess you really can't buy anything then these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ircraft_-_Axis_-_All

I'm surprised they even still bother making autos. it's a relatively small part of their overall operations.

Wolfsburg Germany, the home of VW auto/military plant was in the British Zone of occupation at WWII end. VW was offered to Henry Ford at no cost, but refused the deal, so the British kept the VW plant alive with beetle production at a snails pace. New cars were used as barter for coal, steel, transport, etc...

VW went on to become the worlds largest automobile group, while the British auto
industry eventually took a huge dump.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post