SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lowball Offers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowball Offers Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
There's a school of thought on buying stuff (especially used and/or directly from individuals), that you should put out a lot of low ball offers. 19 out of 20 get turned down. But that 1 out 20 will bite, and you'll get something under value that you can resell. Yes the other 19 might be annoyed, but they don't matter.

Works for me frequently. Offer 2/3s their asking price, and a surprising number will take it without even a counter offer. I can always go up if its something I really want.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
There's a school of thought on buying stuff (especially used and/or directly from individuals), that you should put out a lot of low ball offers. 19 out of 20 get turned down. But that 1 out 20 will bite, and you'll get something under value that you can resell. Yes the other 19 might be annoyed, but they don't matter.

Some people just want stuff gone. I found a sex cushion my ex wife bought while I was deployed in my storage locker. I never saw it before that so use logic to think of what it was used for. These things sell for $550 new I listed it for $100 but would have taken someone willing to pick it up for free. I would have jumped at any offer. In the end I got $100 for it.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

Works for me frequently. Offer 2/3s their asking price, and a surprising number will take it without even a counter offer. I can always go up if its something I really want.

Yup. Nothing personal, only business.

It is just something you are selling. A transaction. It isn't a personal attack.

Ignore an offer you think is too low. Or say; "No thanks." Or make a counter offer. Don't get insulted or annoyed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

Yup. Nothing personal, only business.

It is just something you are selling. A transaction. It isn't a personal attack.

Ignore an offer you think is too low. Or say; "No thanks." Or make a counter offer. Don't get insulted or annoyed.

That is my take on it also.

For folks scoffed at offering 30% less. 2/3rd the asking price is about a 30% discount. It is a reasonable starting offer and doesn't mean they aren't interested. They are just trying to determine invested you are on that price...it has nothing to do with it's value to you; only to them

If you want to be intractable, I define that as expecting offers within 10% of the asking price, just list your item and include "firm" after the price

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is the nature of the beast. List something in the classifieds, and you are going to a certain percentage of idiot questions and flakes, and a fair number of what many here consider low-ball offers. It is the American version of the souk. Haggling is going to happen. If that bothers you that much, selling via a classified service isn't for you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I found a sex cushion
Confused I don't know what that is and I'm not sure I really want to know, but I'll probably be awake half the night wondering about it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberator Esse Sensual Lounge Chair. On Ebay right now for 450 bucks. I think I'd rather get another Glock.

Posts: 157 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drew136:
Liberator Esse Sensual Lounge Chair. On Ebay right now for 450 bucks. I think I'd rather get another Glock.

Downpayment on my Hi-Power instead.........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
A couple that really drive me nuts.

First is the guy who responds to my ad by asking what is my best price. WTF? Negotiating 101 goes like this. I put my price out there. It's now your turn to provide a price/counter-offer. I don't negotiate against myself.

Second, and I get this all the time. By way of example I list something for sale for $300. Inevitably, I'll get an absurd offer, which I don't mind. It's the manner in which it's presented that makes me nuts. "I'll give you $100 and I have cash in hand". Somehow the guy assumes I'm a moron because the fact that he has his "cash in hand" is supposed to convince me his $100 offer is somehow going to be better to me than waiting the time it takes someone else to run to the bank to get $200, $250, $275, etc. Holy Crap!!!

My response to absurd offers though is always a polite "no thanks but I appreciate the offer".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tomkat,

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly dislike the cocky sumbitches that, once I've rejected their lowball offer, reply with something like: "Fine. Let me know when you change your mind."

When I change my mind?! As in, they're assuming it's inevitable that I'm going to accept their ridiculous offer at some point.

Assholes.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
To quote The Monkey, "OY!"

I'm going through this right now. My partner in the V-Tail, who uses it for three or four business trips / month, has decided that for the one family vacation trip / year, he wants to sell the V-Tail and move to the "stretch limo" version of the Bonanza, which has a roomier cabin and six seats.

The process of dealing with buyers and broker directly is being done by the partner, but I get numerous texts and emails from him every day, relaying one ridiculous statement after another, from potential buyers.

I just don't have the stomach to deal with this crap. I'm too old and ornery.

I remember back when I bought the V-Tail, I had an Aircraft Maintenance Technician (we just called them "mechanics" back in the old days Wink) do a pre-buy inspection and give me a punch list along with cost to deal with each item. I factored this in to what the airplane was worth to me and made a realistic offer. The buyer accepted, we shook hands, and it was a done deal. No BS involved.

Another transaction that I did, I bought a used BMW motorcycle from a dealer. I thought his price was too high. I opened my checkbook, wrote a check for what I thought it was worth but did not sign the check. I handed it to the dealer and told him "think it over. If you decide that you want to sell it to me for this price, call me. I'll come back and sign this check." I left, the dealer followed me out to the street and told me that we had a done deal.

Why is the current sale of the V-Tail be straightforward like this? I just can't stand this bullshit. OY!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pulled an ad in the classifieds here because that's all I got was lowball offers.
I'll keep the damn pistol rather than give it away.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a used car dealer. He maintained a car had 5 prices.

The price you advertised it for.
The price you would take.
The buyer had the price he'd offer.
The buyer had the price he'd pay.
Finally is the price the car sold for.

The mistake people make is posting a price and not having in mind the price you'd take. You may have a sucker with money burning a hole in his pocket. You just have to make him willing to give it to you.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
When I get crazy low offer for an item I have for sale, I thank them for their offer then state I would not be able to accept. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Just so you are aware, the $700 you put into the car added exactly zero dollars to the value of the car. Would have been better off selling it as you bought it, or better yet, not have bought it in the first place if you only planned on keeping the car for a month.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The one that drives me nuts is this:
  • Unsophisticated "negotiator" makes ridiculous low-ball offer.
  • I reply, "No thanks. My price is fair as I have priced less than x, y, and z websites"
  • Unsophisticated "negotiator" immediately responds, "split the difference?"

They have built zero rapport, they failed to understand my motivation for selling, they have failed to get me to move a penny, and they "think" I'm going to split the difference?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I had a moron neighbor offer me 200 bucks for a motorcycle I advertised at 3000, because he was on a "fixed income." Hey asshole, if you're on Social Security, I ALREADY pay for that. I gotta give you shit too?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Lowball Offers= No Response. I price things to sell, if you can get it for less elsewhere have at it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    They're after my Lucky Charms!
    Picture of IrishWind
    posted Hide Post
    To OP. I will accept your original post if you lower it by 50%. And maybe sweeten the offer by including some funny cat pics too.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
    Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Back in Black
    posted Hide Post
    I hate when they make a lowball offer, you say no thanks, and they keep it up with several e-mails worth of reasons why you should take their offer. Yes you can ignore them, but still very annoying.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post