SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lowball Offers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowball Offers Login/Join 
posted
I know this has been brought up before (several times). This is less of a rant, but I found these pretty amusing.

So I'm selling my car. I paid $3,500 for it ($3000 cash plus the wreck of my old car), and I put about $700 into it (between parts and labor). It also has some pretty expensive extras in it.

I listed it for $3,300.

I have a couple legitimate interested buys, but I've also gotten a few great messages from lowballers.

The first was a simple message of "I'm interested in the car, but I only have $2000". I'm sorry, then you cannot afford my car.

The second:
"Hi, is your car still available?"
"Yes, it is."
"What is the best price you will accept?"
"The listed price."
Never got a response to that one Big Grin

Thankfully I'm in no real rush to sell, and the few interested buyers I have seem pretty keen on it, so I may be good to go. But some of these have been pretty good so far.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
How many miles did you put on it in that time frame?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter.

His property, his value, his price.

The only time that might matter, is if he is selling it back to the person from whom it was acquired.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43866 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
"I have $1200. Are you willing to take a non-running lawn tractor, a couple lightly-abused power tools, and a stolen jet ski to make up the difference?"

Razz Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Will you take $350 in Best Buy coupons?

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
How many miles did you put on it in that time frame?

Since you asked, less that 400. The time frame is about a month and a half.

----------

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
There are lots of people that ask because it has worked in the past. If you don't want to mess with them (or at least mess with fewer of them) you need "$xxxx firm". If you want to encourage the low ballers you need "$XXX OBO".

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Will you take payments?

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't mind a low ball offer. That is how you negotiate. Make an offer - haggle.

"How much is the lowest you'll take?" is not negotiating. I made an offer to sell, now it is your turn.

And OBO, I assume means "or best offer." Which would be silly if meant literally. I assume you have a floor price.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Something is only worth what someone will pay so business is business.
Who cares what you put into to the car and yadda yadda ya ~ it's just a car, one has money and one has a car so it's up to both to make a deal.
Not personal just business. Eek

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
So I'm selling my car. I paid $3,500 for it ($3000 cash plus the wreck of my old car), and I put about $700 into it (between parts and labor). It also has some pretty expensive extras in it.

I listed it for $3,300.

I have a couple legitimate interested buys, but I've also gotten a few great messages from lowballers.

The first was a simple message of "I'm interested in the car, but I only have $2000". I'm sorry, then you cannot afford my car.

Without know the kind of car it is, $2k seems like a pretty ball park opening offer on a #3.3k car.

I wouldn't call it a low ball offer...it's only about 30% off. I always thought "lowball" started at more than 50% off

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Low ball offers just get deleted, I got the same song and dance before.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with OP, 30% off seems like a lowball offer to me... If you want to offer a couple hundred less on 3300 that's cool, but you want a third off?

I don't understand... if you don't want to even pay CLOSE to the asking price why even bother contacting the seller just move on the the next listing...

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I agree with OP, 30% off seems like a lowball offer to me... If you want to offer a couple hundred less on 3300 that's cool, but you want a third off?

I don't understand... if you don't want to even pay CLOSE to the asking price why even bother contacting the seller just move on the the next listing...

Because there are scumbags that do this professionally for a living, and sooner or later, you call enough people and one needs the money for drugs, their rent whatever, and will take it........

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Something is only worth what someone will pay so business is business.
Who cares what you put into to the car and yadda yadda ya ~ it's just a car, one has money and one has a car so it's up to both to make a deal.
Not personal just business. Eek

May have missed the part where I have buyers Wink

These were just my two most amusing messages so far.

Also, if your plan is to attempt to negotiate with me, starting with "All I have is x." Will get you nowhere with me.

Holy crap all, I know the basics of business. I thought I'd share what I found to be an amusing experience, that's all.

----------

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I probably qualify as a lowballer. You can always raise your offer. Also, one of the questions I ask is how long the seller has owned the car. If it's a short time I assume he's a dealer/flipper or there is something dreadfully wrong with the vehicle. Also if you are reseller (broker, horsetrader or whatever you want to call yourself) then you can't really attest to the vehicles history and therefore I'm buying a pig in the poke. I've done that and made out and I've got burnt. When I'm selling and get a lowball offer I simply reply no thanks.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
what somebody paid for something and what they put into it does not necessarily equal current fair market value. I understand someone wanting to get out what they have into something but that is not the buyers concern

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Because there are scumbags that do this professionally for a living, and sooner or later, you call enough people and one needs the money for drugs, their rent whatever, and will take it........

Yeah, I know a guy who does this regularly.

I wouldn't call him a scumbag, but his game is to show up and start waving cash. Significantly less than what they're asking, but he has cash in hand and keeps offering it to the seller. He says it works about half the time.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:...... but his game is to show up and start waving cash. Significantly less than what they're asking, but he has cash in hand and keeps offering it to the seller. He says it works about half the time.

That's a part of the game I've never understood. "You're asking $1,000, but I'll give you $500. Cash money." Well, no kidding. Here I had priced it assuming we were going to be conducting this one time transaction between strangers in stock certificates or IOUs. US currency is an entirely different deal. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There's a school of thought on buying stuff (especially used and/or directly from individuals), that you should put out a lot of low ball offers. 19 out of 20 get turned down. But that 1 out 20 will bite, and you'll get something under value that you can resell. Yes the other 19 might be annoyed, but they don't matter.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post