SIGforum
Stuff Tossed On Driveway

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2180094734

February 09, 2018, 11:09 AM
Kevmo
Stuff Tossed On Driveway
I don't get it....besides paid/subscribed to newspapers why is it legal for people to toss whatever they want on your driveway.

My neighborhood gets a free weekly paper that goes to all homes and it seems like every few days there is some kind of sack of coupons, phone directory, weighted flier, etc...

I was able to cancel the paper for my house and the vacant home next door but it drives me insane to see all this crap that usually ended up blowing all over because no one wants it to begin with.

To me it seems like legal littering?
February 09, 2018, 11:26 AM
Marlin Fan
It also reminds me of all the junk mail from USPS.
February 09, 2018, 11:55 AM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:

At least (for the most part) people take the junk mail home and toss it but the driveway shit ends up all over. I walk my dogs and spend at least a few hours a week on trash detail.

I know the lazy asses that just leave it there are partially to blame as well
February 09, 2018, 12:16 PM
Marlin Fan
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:

At least (for the most part) people take the junk mail home and toss it but the driveway shit ends up all over. . . . .

So true!!
February 09, 2018, 12:22 PM
Pale Horse
Oh man this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Every week the AJC dumps some advertising version of their garbage paper on my lawn. Not even on my driveway, they just toss it in the middle of my lawn. I've thought about saving them and taking them into the lobby and dumping them all over but I know some poor bastard janitor would have to pick them all up so I have restrained myself.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
February 09, 2018, 01:01 PM
SR
I agree. I hate when they leave stuff on my driveway. Lately we've had some folks put their business cards on a magnet then attach them to the mail box.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
February 09, 2018, 01:10 PM
sigmonkey
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I don't get it....besides paid/subsc.

To me it seems like legal littering?

Send them a "contract" stipulating that any further "tossings" will be replied to with an invoice for payment of "handling and disposal fees" for $75. And that the next "tossing" will be considered "acceptance" of the contract.

Maybe not worth a thing, but who knows?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
February 11, 2018, 01:37 AM
LS1 GTO
Let me tell you about a little story...

The San Diego Union Tribune does the same here. I called, and logged, three (3) phone calls asking for them to desist. Upon the fourth delivery of their trash I sent a [certified] letter explaining I would sue them $50 for each piece of advertisement they delivered without authorization.

Two more later and I sued them in small claims court. I received a check for four (4) unauthorized deliveries ($200) and have yet to receive another.

Document, document and document. Then follow through.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

February 11, 2018, 06:12 AM
SPWAMike0317
There is this site to stop phonebooks.
https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

Works about 50% of the time.

The local newspaper would provide free Sunday papers as part of a promotion. I finally bribed the carrier to NEVER deliver any paper to my address, that has worked. I still read the paper but it is SO much easier to recycle the copy delivered to my computer.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?
February 11, 2018, 06:26 AM
ASKSmith
Local trashmen put Christmas Cards (tip soliciting) in Ziploc bags, and just dropped them off when they picked up trash.

I still see them in peoples yards, out in the street...

-----------------
I apologize now...
February 11, 2018, 06:50 AM
just1tym
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
There is this site to stop phonebooks.
https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

Works about 50% of the time.

The local newspaper would provide free Sunday papers as part of a promotion. I finally bribed the carrier to NEVER deliver any paper to my address, that has worked. I still read the paper but it is SO much easier to recycle the copy delivered to my computer.

I'm so glad that they stopped delivering those damn books. In the past they just dropped them at the end of my driveway. I had to go out and pick them up and directly drop them into the garbage can on the way back to the house, never used them Mad

Regards, Will G.
February 11, 2018, 06:50 PM
shovelhead
Those weekend advertising papers are a PITA.

A few years ago they were out early on a Saturday. No biggie except that there was a heavy and fast snowstorm that same morning. Covered it up real well. So about noon or so when the snow settled down I went out to start cleaning the driveway.

The two stage snow blower picked it up real well. Well to the point that it jammed everything up, stopped dead. I thought it threw a rod until I looked in the chute and saw the paper.

Half hour later I got it out, no damage.

Monday I called the newspaper. I asked them who was the moron in the distribution department that did not hold up the deliveries until the snow had stopped.

We don't get that paper anymore after my call.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
February 11, 2018, 07:15 PM
Sig M11
On the scale of annoying stuffed tossed on your driveway...

The Ku Klux Klan (KKK) sometimes puts pamphlets in ziplock bags with rocks or kitty liter (so they don't blow away) and drops them in driveways ahead of a rally or to recruit...

news10.com/2017/06/17/sheriffs-office-kkk-leaving-pamphlets-and-bags-of-kitty-litter-on-lawns/
February 11, 2018, 07:25 PM
Mr.9mm
My favorites are the ones who fold their professional brochure in half, clip a large binder clip on it, then throw them in the driveway. Those binder clips come in handy at the range.
February 13, 2018, 12:08 PM
jbane
My local paper, to which I do not subscribe, was delivering their free advertising supplement weekly, throwing it into every driveway in our neighborhood. Like others, I called and asked that they not deliver one to me, since if I wanted to see messages from their advertisers, I would subscribe to their newspaper. On each call, I was assured that they would take my address off their delivery list, but I continued to receive the supplements. Finally, I made a more heated call demanding that they stop littering my property or I would call the police. I was told by the young lady with whom I was speaking that the newspaper had a "legal right" to deliver their free advertising supplement to my address. I replied that I would then call the Ombudsman's Office at the Governor's office and enquire as to whether a newspaper really did have the "legal right" to throw their worthless trash into my driveway. I never saw another supplement in my driveway and, after a few more months, they apparently stopped delivering them to anyone, since I have not seen one in a neighbor's driveway for over a year now.

Sig P229 40S&W
Sig P220R DAK
Sig P6
Sig P225
Sig P226
Sig P290RS
Sig 556
February 16, 2018, 09:28 PM
cparktd
We get the free once a week rag thrown in our drive. It might be amusing if one had the time and inclination to video them and get their car tag number then call the police and report them for littering.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
February 17, 2018, 12:12 AM
rburg
We had the fat guy who would waddle up the road, tossing them all over. Then he started looking "un-well". But he kept it up. Then I noticed he didn't look so fat anymore. The summer came and he looked thin and healthy. I think it was all the walking he'd been doing. So I talked to him one day. His doctor told him to lose 100 pounds or die. He took the first option.

But he continued tossing the papers all over. So I just manned up. I hate the wet papers that stick to the concrete. They get slimy if left in the grass too long. I just pick them up and deposit them in the garbage as I walk toward the house.

I've decided I kind of like the guy and he needs the income, I guess. I even enjoy the vacant house next door. The last time it was really occupied was mid summer of 2005. Its when the dirt bag went downstate for a vacation. He never came back. But every week the flyers in their bag get left on the porch. They pile up. Once in a very great while someone seems to gather them and take them either away or piles them inside the house. They have a much better reason to complain than I do.

But I now like the once fat old guy who keeps trudging along, rain or shine, summer or winter. I kind of wish I even had that kind of metal.

Unhappy ammo seeker
February 17, 2018, 04:39 PM
tatortodd
The February rains have set in Houston and what should appear? You guessed it, a GD phone book in the middle of my driveway. It's in a wrapper, but they had the handles upslope so I came home to a sopping wet phone book in the middle of my driveway.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
February 17, 2018, 06:01 PM
2BobTanner
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The February rains have set in Houston and what should appear? You guessed it, a GD phone book in the middle of my driveway. It's in a wrapper, but they had the handles upslope so I came home to a sopping wet phone book in the middle of my driveway.

I too received our local area portable-sized yellow pages phone book—went directly into the recycle dumpster. Really, why do they (whoever “they” are) continue to kill trees and waste the ink. Pretty much anything and everything can be found on-line with a search engine now for address and phone number. It’s an obsolete technology, just like printed news media now.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
February 18, 2018, 02:47 AM
KMitch200
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Let me tell you about a little story...
The San Diego Union Tribune does the same here. I called, and logged, three (3) phone calls asking for them to desist. Upon the fourth delivery of their trash I sent a [certified] letter explaining I would sue them $50 for each piece of advertisement they delivered without authorization.
Two more later and I sued them in small claims court. I received a check for four (4) unauthorized deliveries ($200) and have yet to receive another.
Document, document and document. Then follow through.

That's pretty awesome!! Big Grin
I wonder if it would work anywhere outside of California?

The free local rag that drops shit on the driveway didn't bother to wrap the latest one. Wet newprint made my hands look like I sprayed them with Birchwood Casey Sight Black.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.