SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple’s iOS Updates....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple’s iOS Updates.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Something else I learned this morning I was curious about. Probably likely that other members are aware of this new security feature that came with the new iOS upgrade. The other day I noticed a little green dot light in the upper right corner of the screen lit up, couldn't imagine what it was and thought it was some kind of additional battery life indicator. Actually after taking the time and/or reading here about upgrade features, in the new privacy upgrade this little green light indicates that an app has accessed your camera, or if it's an orange color, an app has accessed your microphone. To see what app is accessing this feature on your phone just swipe down from the upper right and in your control center it will provide the app thats using that feature. You can correct it by going to settings/privacy and disable these functions for that app.

The orange/green dot was actually added a few updates ago.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Something else I learned this morning I was curious about. Probably likely that other members are aware of this new security feature that came with the new iOS upgrade. The other day I noticed a little green dot light in the upper right corner of the screen lit up, couldn't imagine what it was and thought it was some kind of additional battery life indicator. Actually after taking the time and/or reading here about upgrade features, in the new privacy upgrade this little green light indicates that an app has accessed your camera, or if it's an orange color, an app has accessed your microphone. To see what app is accessing this feature on your phone just swipe down from the upper right and in your control center it will provide the app thats using that feature. You can correct it by going to settings/privacy and disable these functions for that app.

The orange/green dot was actually added a few updates ago.

I updated from 13.1 and it didn't so it's new for me but nonetheless a cool feature. I stayed with 13.1 because I'm not particularity fond of iOS updates but had to give in due to a Life Lock alert sent via email.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
<<snip>>
1: Settings>Face ID & Passcode
Type in your Passcode

Scroll to Attention Aware Features and deselect it

Your volume will remain loud now even if you pick up the phone.

2: I went to settings/Siri and search and toggled allow Siri when locked off and back on. That seems to have fixed it for me.

Being an older model (iPhone 6S Plus), my phone doesn't have face recognition features, so item #1 is not available and does not apply.

Item #2 is in the menu, so I tried it. Will see what happens....

And before anybody asks, I have no desire, intention, or funds to "upgrade" to a newer model when this one works just fine (other than the latest iOS upgrade issues).

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Here's One Wierd Trick (tm) to resolve this:

After an OS update, don't update immediately. The system needs you to log in to allow the update...so screw that. Click 'later' and go about your business.

<<snip>>
Yes, I always wait at LEAST a week to do iOS updates... never immediately! Learned that one the hard way. LOL

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm guinea piggin' for you guys. I updated to IOS 14.4 this morning on an iPhone 7.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Yes, I always wait at LEAST a week to do iOS updates... never immediately! Learned that one the hard way. LOL

I usually do, too, but 14.4 plugs holes that are actively being exploited.

quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I'm guinea piggin' for you guys. I updated to IOS 14.4 this morning on an iPhone 7.

You missed by 2-3 days Smile My wife and I updated both our iPhones and iPads 2-3 days ago. I updated my Apple Watch at the same time, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I've seen a few odd things happen over the years after an update.

For example, after the last ios update text messaging has developed an intermittent delay when trying to compose a response.

Open up a text to read it, then when trying to reply there is a few seconds delay before the message box will allow typing or voice input, it just hangs.... Never been that way in the past...

Lo and Behold, the typing error I described appeared with the last update.

Last night IOS updated and fixed that problem, along with others. The delay error on texting is listed as a fix..

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic, I just got notification this morning for the update. That's kinda weird I think. I updated the watch a couple days ago.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did that for my phone and Mrs. Flash's two days ago. So far, so good.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i added it to an 8+ several days ago with no issues so far.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ensigmatic, I just got notification this morning for the update. That's kinda weird I think.

Not really. I didn't wait for the notification. I saw an announcement on a security mailing list to which I'm subscribed and did a manual check.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issues with the past few updates except the battery life has gone down noticeably.

I keep hoping for an update to help with that.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
I haven't had any issues with the past few updates except the battery life has gone down noticeably.

What model iPhone and how long have you had it?

Batteries age. At some point, usually around the three year mark, their capacity starts to noticeably degrade.

Have you checked Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health?

My wife and I had iPhone 6S'. We replaced them a few months back with iPhone SE 2020's. Through all the updates to each phone, we only ever noticed decreased battery life a couple times, and that usually went away after a couple or three days.

quote:

TBH: Other than shortened battery life on older phones/batteries, and temporary shortened battery life for a first couple or so days after a major update, I have not heard of any wide-spread, persistent battery life problems with any version of iOS. So I doubt there'll be an update specifically addressing it.

posted Hide Post
I finally had the battery replaced in my 6s at a mall phone store. $40 I think. New life to the phone, which still suits my needs.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Battery life isn't directly affected permanently by an iOS update, but indirectly due to all the other app updates that occur in the background over the first few days, up to a week or more. The battery life SHOULD return to it's pre-update level within 10 days (or for me, much less).

As others have stated, battery life does start dropping on its own after about the 36 month mark, and much sooner if it's not properly cared for. My wife and daughter both can, and do destroy battery life inside of 12-18 months by partially charging whenever it gets low and not letting it come up to full charge before disconnecting; a sure-fire way to ruin any battery!

Bill R.
North Alabama

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Another possibility for cause of reduced battery life after an update is settings being returned to defaults during the update. I find that stepping through the list of apps in "settings" and returning everything to what I had, will help.

Things like limiting an app to using location services, only when using the app, instead of all the time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Every... single.... time.... that Apple issues an iOS update to “fix” something, something ELSE that used to work perfectly no longer does!

I think that can be said for EVERY electronic device I own that gets updates and has a user interface.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post