SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple’s iOS Updates....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple’s iOS Updates.... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Every... single.... time.... that Apple issues an iOS update to “fix” something, something ELSE that used to work perfectly no longer does! I have just about had it with these damned iPhones and will look for alternatives next purchase!!!

That is all.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just upgraded to the latest iOS on our two phones and everything seems to be working fine. In fact over the years I've had Apple phones I've never had anything quit working after an update.

What quit working on yours?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few odd things happen over the years after an update.

For example, after the last ios update text messaging has developed an intermittent delay when trying to compose a response.

Open up a text to read it, then when trying to reply there is a few seconds delay before the message box will allow typing or voice input, it just hangs.... Never been that way in the past...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Two problems over the last two updates:

#1: Whenever someone calls me, when the call is ended the ringer volume automatically drops to the minimum, and I have to manually put it back where I had it. If I make the call, it stays where it was!

#2: Prior to the last two updates, I could keep my phone in my shirt pocket and use Siri to read (listen to) incoming texts. Now I have to unlock the phone first, which means handling the phone momentarily while driving; not something I wish to do! Used to be just like talking to someone in the car with me, now I have to touch the Home button to unlock it... Mad

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had a problem......that I know about.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Two problems over the last two updates:

#1: Whenever someone calls me, when the call is ended the ringer volume automatically drops to the minimum, and I have to manually put it back where I had it. If I make the call, it stays where it was!

#2: Prior to the last two updates, I could keep my phone in my shirt pocket and use Siri to read (listen to) incoming texts. Now I have to unlock the phone first, which means handling the phone momentarily while driving; not something I wish to do! Used to be just like talking to someone in the car with me, now I have to touch the Home button to unlock it... Mad

1: Settings>Face ID & Passcode
Type in your Passcode

Scroll to Attention Aware Features and deselect it

Your volume will remain loud now even if you pick up the phone.

2: I went to settings/Siri and search and toggled allow Siri when locked off and back on. That seems to have fixed it for me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Here's One Wierd Trick (tm) to resolve this:

After an OS update, don't update immediately. The system needs you to log in to allow the update...so screw that. Click 'later' and go about your business.

Apps post updates after OS patches...keep yours updated and take note of the number that pop up. After awhile the new quirks and bug-swaps will all get worked out, and the number of new apps needing updates will dwindle.

Then - after the flood of app tweaks and workarounds has abated - go in and give your device permission for the OS update.

TL: DR - Cupertino proposes, user disposes. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just updated my "X" from 13.1 to iOS 14.4 and it went well with the update but I thought just today that I noticed the ringer volume had to be brought back up so really appreciate the tip there Flash-LB!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have noticed this sort of thing many times.

After an update, something that was working correctly before, now seems to be broken, but almost every time, it's just a setting that has been changed by the update and just needs to be reset, or maybe there's a new setting available to deal with it.

Apple support has always been very helpful. I'm hearing impaired, so I don't use the support phone number, I use the chat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the 14.4 update. So far, so good. But after every update, I go over all
my settings to ensure everything is still GTG.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want the 14.4 update. Fixes a few serious security holes, 2 in WebKit (the basis for mobile safari).

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems like every time I updated pOS 13 it was a crapfest.

14 seems to be a lot better.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
After any update, i reboot the phone. never had any issues.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
After an update, something that was working correctly before, now seems to be broken, but almost every time, it's just a setting that has been changed by the update and just needs to be reset, or maybe there's a new setting available to deal with it.

That, and sometimes an update turns off a feature I have enabled, such as Voice Control, or enables a new feature I would rather be off.

I prefer to use IPSW files for updates, rather than OTA. The IPSW file is a complete package of the full OS, and is large (currently 6.3GB), but I've always downloaded large files like that in the background (the full installer package for macOS Big Sur is 12.2GB). I've been wary of OS updates/installs OTA ever since a Microsoft Service Pack OTA bricked a machine, due to network interruption of the update.

Using an IPSW file is easy. After downloading it, plug your phone into the computer, open iTunes, and hold the Option key down while you click Update. This puts you in file browser mode so you can locate the IPSW file in your file system. Then just continue the update process. It's all done locally on your machine, eliminating outside influences. IPSW files are also better for fixing a bricked phone, using DFU mode. I would say necessary, because if you are having to use DFU mode, you would be downloading the OS OTA if you did not have the IPSW.

I've found the best place to download genuine Apple IPSW files for iPhones is ipsw.me. The links they provide take you directly to Apple servers. Also, I just read that for M1 Macs, Apple will be releasing the OS as IPSW files, rather than as an .app file as had been the case.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Only thing I’ve noticed, is occasionally a setting has changed and I have to go find out where it is to change it back. For instance, suddenly unable to delete a web page I had added to my Home Screen. (Ipad).
Luckily, did some searching and found out that the setting for allowing deletion of apps had been turned off. Turned it back on and all is well, for now. Just caused a bunch of grumbling and fumbling trying to find where everything is to check.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I think that's how I avoid problems also.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Something else I learned this morning I was curious about. Probably likely that other members are aware of this new security feature that came with the new iOS upgrade. The other day I noticed a little green dot light in the upper right corner of the screen lit up, couldn't imagine what it was and thought it was some kind of additional battery life indicator. Actually after taking the time and/or reading here about upgrade features, in the new privacy upgrade this little green light indicates that an app has accessed your camera, or if it's an orange color, an app has accessed your microphone. To see what app is accessing this feature on your phone just swipe down from the upper right and in your control center it will provide the app thats using that feature. You can correct it by going to settings/privacy and disable these functions for that app.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
https://www.the-sun.com/lifest...20if%20any%20app,you'll%20know%20about%20it.&text=In%20iOS%2014%2C%20a%20green,screen%20when%20the%20cameras%20activated.

I-SPY Watch out for this green dot on your iPhone – it means someone is watching

In iOS 14, a green dot will appear in the upper right corner of the screen when the cameras activated.

And it's orange if the microphone was activated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

The phone reboots itself at the end of the update process anyway. It doesn’t hurt to do it again, but I don’t see it really doing anything.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post