SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dentists
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dentists Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I don't trust them.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Wife just switched to mine. She's had cleanings/exams pretty regularly in the past. Last one was within the last 6-8 months with her old dentist.

He tells her she has 8 cavities to fill, recommends Invisalign braces.

To the tune of 5 or 6 large ones.

Me either...and I liked this one.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I know they're not all bad, but you always gotta take them for their word when they do their work on you.

My mistrust goes back to when I was a kid, the dentist told my mom I really, really needed braces, or else my teeth were gonna be all wonky.

Luckily, my mom being the strong woman that she is, called bullshit and ignored his advice.

Everyone in my family is blessed with perfectly straight teeth, my mom, dad, and two brothers. Even both sets of grandparents. None of us ever needed our wisdom teeth out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I don't trust them.

I trust them more than lawyers. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I don't trust them.

That's a close one.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have been through three different ones since I retired from the Navy.

Picked Dentist #3 out of the phone book mostly for his proximity. Third time is the charm. Office has EVERY modern convenience, everything is digital, very little paper. Rooms are bright and cheerful, hygienists are cute as a button. Most importantly he LISTENS to you and involves you in treatment decisions.

Went through an extended fustercluck with Dentist #2 and TWO referrals over a tooth that I decided wasn't worth the time and money I was spending on it. Called Dentist #3 and got an oh-dark-thirty appointment for the next morning.

Showed up, impressed by the office, the staff and the quick appointment. Hopped in the chair, Doc comes in and says "Why do you want that tooth pulled?" Explained it to him, he says "I agree, you've done all you can to save it, extraction is the next step."

Did so, quickly, painlessly, even called me that evening (personally!) to see how I was doing.

And VERY reasonable prices too. Another tooth, root canal and porcelain crown, $1800. Guaranteed for 5 years.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dentist is great, been using him since he finished school. I have a grand total of 1 filling and 1 crown (military filling failed after several decades.) He charges reasonable rates and does great maintenance. I guess you could say I trust him since I let him access my mouth with power tools.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you guys wonder why we have the highest suicide rates. Eek

Actually, I see nothing wrong with expecting a dentist to earn your trust and they should be willing to take the time to do so. As someone said, it's very difficult for a patient to participate in the diagnosis. New technology like intra oral cameras and digital radiographs that blow up the tooth/cavity to 10x life size are certainly beneficial in patient education.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mine is my cousin, he's been cleaning and examining my chompers for 30 years. I just wish he'd accept insurance, I pay out of pocket for everything.

Now the dental hygienist I don't trust her one bit. I think she gets some kind of sick pleasure out of gouging at my gums with her sharp picks and causing my gums to bleed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been going to the same dentist for 45 years!! I started going to him in high school, he had recently started his practice. His wife is his secretary, and his office is no frills. With a new patient he'll do a complete set of x rays and sit down with them and explain their options. I have 100% confidence in him. Aditionally, he gives police a discount!!! I gladly pay the out of network fees to go to him.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I don't trust them.

That's a close one.

Difference is that the dentist puts the Gold IN your teeth! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to one in our small town for probably 2 years. Wife happened to look at her statement one time and noticed he was charging for fluoride on every visit for my youngest. Also was charging as if doing a full cleaning and exam when he wasn't doing either. Called and were given some lame excuse. Told them to transfer our records to a different Dentist and were told there'd be a charge. My wife politely asked if they would prefer us to contact the State Dental Board to discuss billing for services not rendered...that got things moving along rather quickly. Won't recommend anyone to that dentist. Our current one we love. Very thorough but conservative on his treatment plans. Bills insurance correctly.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Always check the walls and magazine for boat themes,

If you see lots of Yachting, Boating, Travel magazines
and pictures of his boat on the wall you should run....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

I'd say there may actually be some truth to that. I certainly try to keep a professional look to my office without imposing my personal life on patients. Any dentist that would display obvious signs of wealth like photos of a big boat is just showing off and being disrespectful. Might not be the type of person you want to deal with.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
What if he/she has pictures of firearms? Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ya. Fortunately we have a great dentist now. Back in KCMO we had a guy who was in my office complex my colleagues and I gave a try. All of us came back with a list of things we needed to have done. Was complete BS. I had my wife's dentist check me the next time and I needed none of it. Now it's been almost 15 years and have required absolutely no work. I have 3 original fillings that are over 35 years old. One additional original filling was replaced (after coming loose) by my wife's dentist back in KCMO. My gums and teeth have been nearly perfect since. I even have all my wisdom teeth too. In fact, the health of my teeth and gums has been exceptional since I began using the Oral B toothbrush my current dentist recommended I give a try. *She doesn't sell them.

It's funny too about the shady dentist that tried to screw us. He drove a Dodge Viper that was loaded. His office had all the modern equipment nearly 20 years ago. Like digital xray equipment for example. And the dude wore braces non-stop. Oh, and all the ladies in his office were young and hot. Should have been a warning sign. I actually reported him to the ADA locally but never heard a word. His name started with a K so we affectionately referred to him as Dr. Kevorkian from then on. Big Grin

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo: I actually reported him to the ADA locally but never heard a word.

The ADA has no power to take disciplinary action. That is the function of the Board of Dentistry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo: I actually reported him to the ADA locally but never heard a word.

The ADA has no power to take disciplinary action. That is the function of the Board of Dentistry.

Good to know, thanks. I don't recall precisely but I thought it was a local KC branch of the ADA that I wrote and had gotten that info. online. I was under the impression that they handled complaints and disputes, but it sounds like that's not correct.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^

I'd say there may actually be some truth to that. I certainly try to keep a professional look to my office without imposing my personal life on patients. Any dentist that would display obvious signs of wealth like photos of a big boat is just showing off and being disrespectful. Might not be the type of person you want to deal with.

LOL guess I should have put a Big Grin on that

quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
What if he/she has pictures of firearms? Big Grin

You have found your dentist...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Always check the walls and magazine for boat themes,

If you see lots of Yachting, Boating, Travel magazines
and pictures of his boat on the wall you should run....