SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Publix Store Managers: Train Your Cashiers!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publix Store Managers: Train Your Cashiers! Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Why don’t you just write a check and hold up the line like all the other old folks Big Grin

Some lady in front of me, did just that. She waited until the entire thing was wrung up, before she even got her check book out of her purse, then started digging for a pen, then had to fill out all the info she could've filled out prior to her stuff being wrung up...….it was ridiculous.

Kind of like the dumb ass who parks their oversized cart at the entrance to Costco to dig out their Costco card. I need one of those compressed air horns.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need one of those compressed air horns.

I think this is the answer for both Publix & wally world. I only go to wally world for the entertainment value. Same with the local Kroger. The shit I see in those two places make me long for the check out line at Publix. I guess I need to STFU about the line at Publix.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For the most part the Publix cashiers are good, I do like the Wal-Mart self checkout section, 10 cashier stations, where I can go up with my 3 items and not get stuck behind Connie Conversationalist, or Sally Slow Scan, get my stuff scanned, in the bag and paid and out the store quickly.

Publix hasn't make the self scan move at my store(s) But I'd like to see it happen... at least for quick transactions...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

For the most part the Publix cashiers are good
Agreed! Publix cashiers are typically among the best in the business.

What I'm whining about is the company introduced a new payment method, that has to be acknowledged by the cashier pressing a button on the terminal, but it seems that they did not train the cashiers on how to use it.

I have encountered similar management oversights in other stores. Target, for example, when they introduced new software for their registers, that asked the cashier to enter information from a photo ID for alcohol purchases. There is a "common sense" over-ride for this, that a cashier can use when checking out a customer like me (obviously old enough to be a grandfather of a 21-year old), but they did not bother to train the cashiers on how to use the over-ride.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

What I'm whining about is the company introduced a new payment method, that has to be acknowledged by the cashier pressing a button on the terminal, but it seems that they did not train the cashiers on how to use it.

I have encountered similar management oversights in other stores. Target, for example, when they introduced new software for their registers, that asked the cashier to enter information from a photo ID for alcohol purchases. There is a "common sense" over-ride for this, that a cashier can use when checking out a customer like me (obviously old enough to be a grandfather of a 21-year old), but they did not bother to train the cashiers on how to use the over-ride.

one cashier did not know, or all?

probably had a short training exercise,
may have had to sign a form saying they were trained, or not

and promptly forgot, esp if this was the first time the cashier has seen the application in use

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

one cashier did not know, or all?
I have no idea whether it was just one cashier, or all of them. Certainly the one at the register in the checkout lane where I was.

Manager said, when I questioned her, "We don't see that many customers using this."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Have you been to Walmart recently? They usually have at least two, of the thirty registers open.

That is registers with actual cashiers. In addition to those two, they always seem to have about 20 self-checkout registers open. I hate self-checkout.

This pisses me off as well. Particularly bad at places like Home Depot and Lowes. My wife uses it, while constantly yelling at me, "don't put that there!" or "don"t pick that up yet!" The bastards won't even hire people to take my money. Next, we'll be required to drive cross town and deposit it in the bank for them.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I was in Publix eeeeearly on Friday morning, only one checking out then and had a moment to chat with the cashier.

She said there were very few folks using the new method, but she said they'd been trained on it and it was pretty easy.

I should have asked her, but didn't. Is this like my Chick Filet app or my Dunkin Donut app. In other words, do I just put money in it from a credit card?

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this like my Chick Filet app or my Dunkin Donut app. In other words, do I just put money in it from a credit card?
You do not put money into the app.

You link a credit card to the app, and the card gets charged when you check out at the register.

Walmart Pay works pretty much the same way, link a credit card to the app and the card is charged when you use the app at the register.

With both Publix and Walmart, the terminal displays a QR code, you just let your phone's camera look at the QR code, and you're done.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I THINK I got it, V-tail, thank you.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
This thread informed me of the Publix app; thanks V-Tail! I like technology and want to be a hipster so I set the app up aaaaand...

1) Forgot to open it PRIOR to check-out and 2 carts piled up behind me. Fumbled for CC.
2) Opened app and couldn't remember my pin. Turned red and used CC.
3) I was ready this time! Or so I thought. When I originally setup the app I declined permission to use my camera to spy on me...3 carts piled up while cashier strummed her fingers. Used CC.
4) Success! The terminal pinged acknowledgement! But V-Tail's cashier had been transferred to Pensacola. Didn't know that Publix even had a pay app Frown

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yeah, enable face ID for that app if it's an option on your phone, for faster login.

Scan the QR code. Your phone shows success. Cashier does not have a clue as to what to do. Call manager over to register. Cashier learns what to do. Go back next time, do it again, different cashier, repeat training process. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, enable face ID for that app if it's an option on your phone, for faster login.

Scan the QR code. Your phone shows success. Cashier does not have a clue as to what to do. Call manager over to register. Cashier learns what to do. Go back next time, do it again, different cashier, repeat training process. Wink

Got a cashier the other day that didn't know what to do. The bag boy (young man, maybe a mgr trainee) showed her what to do. I asked her if Publix had offered her training on their app; she said no training was offered. Looks like OJT.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Learned a feature about the Publix app today: you can scan the QR code anytime after the cashier starts ringing you up. The total isn't finalized until the cashier hits the Publix pay button on her terminal screen.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Learned a feature about the Publix app today: you can scan the QR code anytime after the cashier starts ringing you up. The total isn't finalized until the cashier hits the Publix pay button on her terminal screen.
Similar to the way it works if you use your credit card at the terminal, you can do that as soon as the cashier starts scanning your items.

My wife does that, as she wants to avoid delaying people behind her in line.

I, on the other hand, wait until the scanning has finished. I watch what the cashier is doing, and watch the items pop up on the screen. More than once I have found an item that scans for a higher price than what is shown on the shelf tag; when that happens, Publix gives you the item at no charge. Not a frequent occurrence, but it does happen.

Walmart is a more frequent offender in this respect, with items that scan for a higher price than the shelf tag, but they do not have the "if the scanner overcharges you, you get the item free" policy, like Publix does. Happened to me last week at Walmart. Wright brand bacon, shelf tag was $7.98 for a 1.5 lb. package, the register scanned it at $8.98. Twice. I protested mightily, and did get it for the shelf tag price.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
And again, this afternoon.

Text from wife: "Why don't you stop at the store on your way home and pick up a pie?"

OK, I like pie!

Stop at Publix, choose pie, no line at the customer service desk (where you can check out if you only have a couple items).

Girl rings it up, I have the Publix app waiting on the phone, I take a picture of the QR code, app indicates that my part is done, waiting for cashier to complete the transaction.

Everything grinds to a halt while the (not so) sweet young thing and I look at each other. She tells me I have to slide my card through the terminal again. Huh? Again? I didn't even use the card, I used the app.

I ask her if she knows how to do this. She exhibits attitude, tells me that she has been working in the store for many years and yes, she knows how to do her job.

I suggest that it might be a good idea to get a supervisor. Off she goes, in a blue huff (I don't think they come in any other color). She does not return, but manager does, presses something on her screen, and the transaction completes.

On the way out of the store, I had a belated thought: I should have asked the manager to show me what to do on the cashier's screen, so that going forward, I can 'splain to cashiers how to handle this type transaction, since it is pretty clear that most of them have never heard of it. Next time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
Publix beats all the alternatives in my book (Wal Mart, Ingles, Kroger, Food Lion, Winn Dixie, etc.) and I will continue to write my checks, thank you very much. Smile

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Vtail, just use your checkbook like everyone else down that way... <laughing> Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Contact Lakeland, let them know of the issue and offer your services to assist training counter staff.

https://corporate.publix.com/contact

Be sure to explain that you are an octogenarian and have the proper old man curmudgeonly qualifications such as drumming fingers, huffing breath, rolling eyes, and stern remarks ready so that the customer service agents will be prepped and ready for the influx of snowbirds! Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post