SIGforum
The phrase 'gun violence'.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/2170066924

August 30, 2017, 10:28 AM
Jim Shugart
The phrase 'gun violence'.
This really rattles my cage. It implies that the violence is somehow linked with guns and that if the guns were all to disappear then the violence would did disappear with it.

If all firearms in Baltimore were to vanish, the hoodies would say, "Hey fuck! I ain't got no heat! Can't off Jamal now. Guess I'll have to get married, get at job, and maybe buy a house in a couple of years."

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
August 30, 2017, 10:32 AM
smschulz
Far worse is the term "assault weapons" and more so how every gun on the planet is described so.
Not to mention the term "arsenal" for any ammo qty to exceed a box or two and more than a couple weapons.
Mad
August 30, 2017, 06:41 PM
hi-power man
I ran across an interesting short comment about the words "gun violence" at this sight:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.c...nating-gun-violence/

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.
August 30, 2017, 07:11 PM
Jim Shugart
Thanks, hi-p man: A very well written article.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
August 30, 2017, 08:24 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Domestic violence. Hmmmm. Used to be called wife beating or in more recent times, spousal abuse. The first time I heard it I thought it was abusing the maid or butler. Domestics is not a term you hear much anymore.

Our language has changed to incorporate political beliefs and attitudes. I do not much care for the changes.
August 30, 2017, 10:07 PM
jimb888
That rattles you? How about "COMMON SENSE" gun laws. I mean, how can you or anyone be against common sense?

Jesus
August 30, 2017, 10:22 PM
Gustofer
I like "semi-automatic handgun". They're pretty much all semi-automatic (unless someone invented a bolt action pistol), but slapping the descriptor "semi-automatic" on them makes them sound scarier and much much MUCH more dangerous.

August 31, 2017, 01:11 PM
oldRoger
It is total nonsense.
It strings together two nouns which mean nothing together.
"violence"; noun: behavior involving physical force intended to damage or kill.
The implication is that an inanimate object (gun) can act (be violent) which is nonsense.

How about; Apple violence, or Pickle violence?

It is a simple minded idea promulgated by those without better ideas.
August 31, 2017, 03:20 PM
side_shot
hollow point bullets are cop killers because they are armor piercing and go thru bullet proof vests Eek

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

September 02, 2017, 12:17 AM
gfrank
guns are not violent, People are.

I've got a .22 lr paycheck and .41 mag tastes

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
September 02, 2017, 05:30 PM
Because it's easier to blame inanimate objects than the killers themselves.

Q

September 03, 2017, 01:09 AM
SigSAC
Take a look at page 55 of the injunction in the Duncan v. Becerra case. The judge took the topic of "gun violence" on and basically re-wrote what it should mean.

This is the case in California that is working to block the requirement that citizens must give up any magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

In fact, the WHOLE injunction is good reading - the judge who wrote this did a nice job.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-co...inary-Injunction.pdf

To quote a portion:

The Attorney General articulates four important objectives to justify this new statutory bludgeon. They all swing at reducing “gun violence.” The bludgeon swings to knock large capacity magazines out of the hands of criminals. If the bludgeon does not work, then the criminals still clinging to their large capacity magazines will be thrown in jail while the magazines are destroyed as a public nuisance. The problem is the bludgeon indiscriminately hammers all that is in its path. Here, it also hammers magazines out of the hands of long time law-abiding citizens. It hammers the 15-round magazine as well as the 100-round drum. And it throws the law-abiding, self-defending citizen who continues to possess a magazine able to hold more than 10 rounds into the same jail cell as the criminal. Gun violence to carry out crime is horrendous and should be condemned by all. Defensive gun violence may be the only way a law-abiding citizen can avoid becoming a victim.
Put differently, violent gun use is a constitutionally-protected means for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from criminals. The phrase “gun violence” may not be invoked as a talismanic incantation to justify any exercise of state power.
September 07, 2017, 04:10 PM
joel9507
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I like "semi-automatic handgun". They're pretty much all semi-automatic (unless someone invented a bolt action pistol)

That phrase does at least rule these out:

September 08, 2017, 08:28 PM
bigwagon
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I like "semi-automatic handgun". They're pretty much all semi-automatic (unless someone invented a bolt action pistol), but slapping the descriptor "semi-automatic" on them makes them sound scarier and much much MUCH more dangerous.

There are bolt-action pistols, and also these crazy things called "revolvers."
September 08, 2017, 10:56 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
...and also these crazy things called "revolvers."
What happens every time you pull the trigger on a double action revolver?

And I did say, "pretty much".