SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Guess "Fire Drills" Are Too Old Fashioned
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Guess "Fire Drills" Are Too Old Fashioned Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
Today at my office we had an "Inclement Weather Evacuation Procedure Exercise".

I'm so old that I remember when they were called "fire drills".

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the plan to make people evacuate a building and go stand in the bad weather? If there is a tornado, I am not going out to meet it, I will hide indoors.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
There's a parking garage for the executives at the basement level.

We get to go down there and admire their cars for 10 minutes or so until they tell us to stop drooling and get back to work. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
Is the plan to make people evacuate a building and go stand in the bad weather? If there is a tornado, I am not going out to meet it, I will hide indoors.

Unless you don't have a leg to stand on...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Two different drills, with two different purposes. Fire drills and tornado drills will usually require evacuation to different areas.

If the building is on fire, do you plan to go hide in the basement?

If there's a tornado, do you plan to leave the building and go stand outside across the street?

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
In the school district where I work, we have 3 drills practiced twice a month.
Fire Drill
Lock Down Drill
Evacuation Drill

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Fire Drill
Lock Down Drill
Evacuation Drill

Does doing it that often bother you? Wouldn't people become jaded in the manner of the boy who cried wolf and not take the real event, should it happen, seriously?

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Fire Drill
Lock Down Drill
Evacuation Drill

Does doing it that often bother you? Wouldn't people become jaded in the manner of the boy who cried wolf and not take the real event, should it happen, seriously?

I think that 6 drills in one month is a bit excessive. 3 a month would be more reasonable. When the school year started, I was given 15 minutes to read the procedures for all 3 drills, then they were taken away for security reasons. In one high school that I no longer work at, someone would unlock your class door every morning, we couldn't have keys. There was no inside latch or button to lock the class from the inside. One day I got to talk to an administrator and asked where the logic of this came from. The next week we were all given keys to be able to lock the classroom door and hide in a corner away from an intruder.
By the time the drill begins all the teachers and half the school know the time it will happen. This is pretty common in all the schools I have worked in.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
In the school where I worked, it was monthly fire drills and once-a-year lockdown and earthquake drills.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I take a 2 hour night course for guitar at one of the Vocational schools I work at, We had a fire drill at 9:15pm on Monday night. Class ends at 9:30. We were told at the beginning of class what time the fire drill would be, pack up at 9:10, and when the alarm goes off just go home when we leave the building.

Living the Dream

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that 6 drills in one month is a bit excessive.

In places I've worked, once a year was considered excessive. In fact, people were ignoring them.

IIRC, the Fire Dept issued a citation to my employer because the building wasn't cleared. After that, they got volunteers to "sweep" the offices and conference to make sure everyone left.

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
We do a fire drill once a year at work. Our evacuation area for inclement weather is a large interior bathroom...we choose not to practice that one.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Nobody does a "shelter in place" anymore?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I was in grade school, it was get under your desk, to survive a tornado, or a nuclear attack.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
One time I was startled by the fire alarm as it was so loud. I immediately evacuated then I went out of the building to join my co-workers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Today we had both a fire drill and a lockdown drill. I don't know if you guys realize how big the blimp hangars at Lakehurst Naval Air Station (Now known as Joint McGuire, Dix and Lakehurst), but standing in between two hangars that wind whips through pretty damn hard. Lucky I grabbed my jacket, the kids didn't have theirs I felt sorry for them.

Living the Dream

Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Last place I worked about 15 years ago I was a supervisor and I was responsible for seeing everyone on my shift was out of the building when we had fire drills.

I am old enough I can remember when we had air raid drills.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No more duck and cover? I miss it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not only fire drills > we had bomb-proof desks we practiced hiding under. Eek

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do fire drills at work a couple times a year. Don'r remember the frequency of the stuff at school back in the day but it was only fire drills except once in grade school they put us all in buses to evacuate the school for some kind of drill.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post